Translation PLEASE

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Athena
Elite
Elite

Translation PLEASE

Post by Athena »

Need translation on Guiseppa Failla, page 3017 #189

As always, Thank you

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1947613
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Translation PLEASE

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

DEATH NO 189: GIUSEPPA FAILLA
Castelbuono: 22 November 1904, 10.15 am
Appearing were Francesco Ortolano, 59 yo muratore (mason/bricklayer) and Vincenzo Ippolito,56 yo, becchino (grave digger), both living Castelbuono. They reported that at 8 pm yesterday? (ieri)) at a house in Via S.Paola, No 21, Giuseppa Failla, 1 year three months died. She was born and residing in Castelbuono when living, the daughter of Michelangelo, contadino, and Domenica Prestigiovanni, donna di casa (housewife), both living Castelbuono.

Witnesses:
Vincenzo Prestigiovanni, 52yo and Antonio Conoscenti, 48 yo, both contadini, living in the town.

Note: The actual date of death has me stumped. The record is dated 22 November at 10.15 am and then in the body of the letter it says died at "8 pm venti'eri". So I am not sure, whether it is suppose read vent'uno or venti or ieri. Maybe someone else can have a look for me. I'll come back to it again later, it might be clearer then.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela

Look at record 203. The same thing is written in the spot for the day, even though the time is 12 P.M. In the other records where it see it, it looks like the spelling is vantieri. I believe it's dialect. It means "the day before yesterday."
Erudita
Athena
Elite
Elite

Post by Athena »

Thank you both. I do have a question, Presigovanni, could it always be Prestianni?
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:DEATH NO 189: GIUSEPPA FAILLA
Note: The actual date of death has me stumped. The record is dated 22 November at 10.15 am and then in the body of the letter it says died at "8 pm venti'eri". So I am not sure, whether it is suppose read vent'uno or venti or ieri.
I can't read it either, but don't think it's jeri/ieri/yesterday. Take a look at the other records on this page (190-192). They all use "di jeri" ("di ieri") for yesterday.
Eurdita's dialect seems to be the best translation.
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Athena wrote:Thank you both. I do have a question, Presigovanni, could it always be Prestianni?
You're very welcome, Tracy. The surname is Prestigiovanni, as Angela typed, which does exist in the town.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

kencwalker wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:DEATH NO 189: GIUSEPPA FAILLA
Note: The actual date of death has me stumped. The record is dated 22 November at 10.15 am and then in the body of the letter it says died at "8 pm venti'eri". So I am not sure, whether it is suppose read vent'uno or venti or ieri.
I can't read it either, but don't think it's jeri/ieri/yesterday. Take a look at the other records on this page (190-192). They all use "di jeri" ("di ieri") for yesterday.
Eurdita's dialect seems to be the best translation.
-Ken

Ken
In French, we have avant-hier, which is the same thing. In Italian, it would normally be avantieri or avant'ieri. Sometimes it is written as l'altro ieri, or rarely as altrieri, which means "the other yesterday." In other words, the day before yesterday or two days ago.

Erudita
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

erudita74 wrote:In Italian, it would normally be avantieri or avant'ieri. Sometimes it is written as l'altro ieri, or rarely as altrieri, which means "the other yesterday." In other words, the day before yesterday or two days ago.
Thanks! more interesting words to add to my Italian word list.
avantieri /avant'ieri / l'altro ieri / altrieri
Good stuff!
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're welcome, Ken. Always something interesting to learn from these documents.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:Angela

Look at record 203. The same thing is written in the spot for the day, even though the time is 12 P.M. In the other records where it see it, it looks like the spelling is vantieri. I believe it's dialect. It means "the day before yesterday."
Erudita
Vantieri! Yes, of course it is. It makes perfect sense. (I think I'm slipping.)

Great catch, Erudita.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks, Angela. Couldn't originally decipher that in the first record I translated for her, as it had a big dark blotch over the day in the text of the record.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:Thanks, Angela. Couldn't originally decipher that in the first record I translated for her, as it had a big dark blotch over the day in the text of the record.
Erudita
Very well done.
(I love seeing the dialect words coming through these Sicilian records. A lot of words in the Sicilian dialect seem to be similar to our dialect.)
Angela:-0
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks again, Angela
Erudita