Translation for no. 2 Ernesto Leone

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mtoth1982
Rookie
Rookie

Translation for no. 2 Ernesto Leone

Post by mtoth1982 »

Ciao a tutti!

Could someone help me translate the entry for Ernesto Leone, no. 2? I can translate some of it but and having trouble with the portion on the 2nd page. Does it state that his mother was Caterina Cassano? From what I can make out, it seems the baby was found on a street? I'm a newbie at reading these cursive scripts, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely

Matt
Attachments
Ernestoleone.jpg
Ernestoleone.jpg
Matthew Toth
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translation for no. 2 Ernesto Leone

Post by Tessa78 »

Ernesto Leone
Dated 8 April 1884 at 9:40 AM at the town office.
Before the official ... appeared Caterina Cassano, 24, farmer residing in Atella, to consign to him a male child, newly born, found with an old strip of wool cloth, a changing cloth of muslin, and a bonnet also of muslin, and to declare that this morning at about 2 AM in the public street named Dante #4, near her house she found this child who was dressed as above written, lying there unclaimed, with his head covered by the bonnet. To this child was given the name ERNESTO and the surname LEONE, and the objects found with him would be kept in the civil office.
The declarant Caterina Cassano, asked to have the child released to her for care and upbringing, and by his authority the official released the child to Cassano.
Witness to this record was Francesco Trunnolone, 32, municipal guard; and Pasquale Laurensano, 27, servant; both residents of the town.
The official presented the act to all the participants, only the witnesses signed with him as the other was illiterate.

T.
bobk

Post by bobk »

Tessa:
Thank you for translating this BC. Infant named was my wifes Grandfather, in fact my wifes middle name is Leona which she always wondered if it was after Leone. Her Grandfather went by the name Ernesto Santoro, however on his US Citizen papers it stated "formerly known as Ernesto Leone' this led me to finding the BC you translated.
Is there any info on BC if Caterina Cassano was married? I'm wondering if she married into the Santoro family? How can we research church records in Atella? Any Hints will be greatly appreciated. Wonder what happened to the objects found on the infant? Thanks again!!
mtoth1982
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mtoth1982 »

Tessa,
Thank you very much for the translation help! This is for a friend of mine. This is a really interesting record as I've never seen an Italian birth record where the baby was abandoned, as this seems to indicate. Is it possible the Caterina Cassano that is mentioned is a relative of the baby? I just find it interesting that they seem to grant her guardianship without any family connection. Have you seen cases like this before?

Also, any tips on finding the real birth parents?

Thank again!

Matt
Matthew Toth
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Matt,

It is POSSIBLE that Caterina Cassano was the parent... but officially, there was no acknowledged parent.

Granting a child's care like this was not unusual for abandoned babies as the alternative was an orphanage.
And yes, sometimes the person presenting the child as "found" was a relative.

The likelihood of finding out the birth parent(s) varies.
As noted in the record, the child was left with several items that are well documented in the record, and held at the civil office. Sometimes when a parent or parents abandon a child they hope to return to claim him/her. The items left with the child help to identify the child.
If a parent returns to claim the child there is usually a second entry for the birth (which could be ANY time later - even years- and found in Parte II of the register of births) that is a recognition of the child by the parent(s) and often the child is given the name of the parent. We see this when a couple who have had a child out of marriage decide to marry, and they "recognize" the child as their natural issue.

This article may help clarify...
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/article ... e-marriage

T.
mtoth1982
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mtoth1982 »

Tessa,

Thanks for all your help on this one! I learned alot!

Matt
Matthew Toth