naturalization records

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ally
Veteran
Veteran

naturalization records

Post by ally »

Hi, wondering if anyone out there knows if all papers pertaining to naturalization have pictures on them or only certain years?

Reason why I ask is that I received 4 naturalization records from the State of RI Superior Court in Pawtucket. 2 of them had pictures on them, naturalized on Jan 30th, 1940, arrival into Us 10/29/1929.
My grandfathers unlce/aunt.

The other 2 entries was 10/25/1912, and arrival was stampled 11/21/1935. These had no pictures on them. And there was only 2 pages long. The others had 4 pages worth of information.

I am trying to see if all have it, as I am looking for one on my gg grandmtoher who supposedly was naturalized 1909, woonsocket, RI. She is the mother of the first son whom I got the picture of his papers.

Thanks.

Alice
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: naturalization records

Post by nuccia »

I have my grandparents Naturalization papers from New York and my fathers Naturalization papers as well. Neither have pictures on them. They were from the 1950's. I haven't checked my mothers paper although she filed 25 years after her parents.

Sorry, it's not much to go on but it's all I have!

Nuccia :)
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

The naturalizations occurring after 1929 required photos. Not sure why you got more papers with one then the other. There are generally three types of paperwork for the citizenship process: The Declaration of Intent, The Petition for Naturalization, and the Naturalization Document itself.

Depending what is at the top of the documents, it will tell what is included. The Naturalization Documents I have seen are usually only 1 page...while the other documents can take up to 3 additional pages. In your case, I think you might be missing the Petition for Naturalization copies. You should try and get them...often they have additional information not available on the actual Naturalization document.

Good Luck.
littleitaly

Post by littleitaly »

I have two questions about this. First, I am assuming the naturalization document everyone is referring to is really titled "Certificate of Citizenship", is this right? Second, there are two dates of this form. First is the date that refers to a court date (which I assume means an official meeting where all the necessary documents were presented), and the second is the actual date when they say "the seal of the court is hereunto affixed" (this is at the bottom). Is the "seal" date what is referred to as the naturalization date?

Thanks.
littleitaly

Post by littleitaly »

I have looked into this a little more and I am now really confused. The Certificate of Citizenship means is given to someone who get citizenship but now through naturaliztion. For example if the person in question had a parent who was a U.S. citizen but was born in another country. Why did my grandfather have this, as his whole family was in Italy? Did they give these instead of Naturalization Certificates?
ally
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ally »

Thank you for the addt'l info. I have requested the papers you mentioned.
I am trying desparatly to find pics of family members that came from Schio into Rhode Island.
Actually I am really looking for my grandfathers grandmother. She came in 1896 or so, resided in W Hoboken, Nj then moved to Ri. I found all her children living there and some pics from found cousins, now just looking for hers.

I will try for these papers maybe a new lead will turn up.

Thanks again!!!

Ally