Searching for Mingoia/Mancuso/DiPressi ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jm89

Searching for Mingoia/Mancuso/DiPressi ancestors

Post by jm89 »

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and I joined because I've hit a wall in three different areas of my family tree. I'm in my 20s and have found a big interest in genealogy using Ancestry and FamilySearch but have hit some frustrating roadblocks. I've mostly been focusing on researching my last name, Mingoia. Also the last names Mancuso and DiPressi. The following is all the information I have in each area, any help would be tremendously appreciated!

Calogero Mingoia was my 2nd great grandfather and his wife was Concetta Navarra. They had a son, my great grandfather, named Antonino Mingoia (1896-1969). Antonino was born in Mussomeli in Caltanisetta, Sicily, Italy. He also had some siblings also born there with the eldest being Giuseppe Mingoia (1888-1940). I am trying to figure out any information I can about their parents Calogero & Concetta as far as birth/death dates, their own parents' and/or siblings names, anything. I have come across information for certain Calogero Mingoias but the birth dates never seem to add up (his eldest Giuseppe was born in 1888 so I'm assuming the earliest Calogero could have been born was the early 1870s). Also, some people in my family seem to believe Concetta was either born in Spain or one of her parents were, but I'm not sure how true that is.

On the other side of my family, I'm try to find out information about my Mancuso and DiPressi ancestors. Salvatore Mancuso (1894-1974) was my great grandfather and I believe he was born in Cosenza in Calabria, Italy. The only information I have about him is that he had one sister (name unknown) who didn't move to the US like he did and she was a nun. This is all word of mouth told to me through family. She apparently died in the 1950s but I'm having trouble finding any information about her or Salvatore's parents. An older cousin of mine told me his mother was Mary DiPressi (confusing because DiPressi was Salvatore's wife's maiden name) but I haven't found any records of that. In a ship manifest from when he came to the US, it says his mother's name was Maria Ferrara, but that's the only record I've found that mentions it.

His wife was Rosemarie DiPressi (1892-1964). At least that's what we have always said in my family, but on the ship manifest records from when she came over with her husband Salvatore, she is listed as "Rosina DiPressa." I'm wondering if her name was just Americanized or if there was a misspelling of her last name. Unfortunately I can hardly find ANY information on Rosemarie. All I know is that she had a brother Giuseppe/Joseph who married a Rosina and apparently two sisters, Mary and Theresa. Ancestry suggested that Frances Rinaldi and Salvatore DiPressi were her parents but I have no information to back it up.

I know this is a ton of facts but any help would be great, even if it's just a point in the right direction. I'd love to be able to see birth and/or marriage records from Mussomeli but I'm not sure where to look. Thank you so much for your time everyone!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Searching for Mingoia/Mancuso/DiPressi ancestors

Post by adelfio »

There are records online of Mussomeli
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1946840

Marriage of Calogero Mingoia and Concetta Navarra
INDEX#56
1886 Dec 31 in the town of Mussomeli the marriage of Calogero Mingoia age 30 born and resides in Mussomeli son of deceased Francesco Mingoia and Salvatrice Costanza married Concetta Navarra age 25 born in Valledolmo resides in Mussomeli daughter of Antonino Navarra and deceased Giuseppa Castiglione

PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth extract of Calogero Mingoia
INDEX#196
1856 Aug 31st in the town of Mussomeli the birth of Calogero Mingoia son of Francesco Mingoia age 42 cabinetmaker and Salvatrice Costanza age 32

PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth extract of Concetta Navarra
INDEX#38
1861 Feb 17th in the town of Valledolmo Palermo province birth of Concetta Navarra age 25 daughter of Antonino Navarra age 34 shoemaker and Giuseppa Castiglione age 28

PG LINK TO RECORD

Marty

Marty
jm89

Post by jm89 »

Wow! Thank you so incredibly much, Marty! It's greatly appreciated.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

On the other side of my family, I'm try to find out information about my Mancuso and DiPressi ancestors. Salvatore Mancuso (1894-1974) was my great grandfather and I believe he was born in Cosenza in Calabria, Italy. The only information I have about him is that he had one sister (name unknown) who didn't move to the US like he did and she was a nun. This is all word of mouth told to me through family. She apparently died in the 1950s but I'm having trouble finding any information about her or Salvatore's parents. An older cousin of mine told me his mother was Mary DiPressi (confusing because DiPressi was Salvatore's wife's maiden name) but I haven't found any records of that. In a ship manifest from when he came to the US, it says his mother's name was Maria Ferrara, but that's the only record I've found that mentions it.
On the shipmanifest they were all born in Cassano al Jonio Cosenza province line 25
PG 1
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... 0792/facts
PG2
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... _2754-0254

Marty

Marty
kleocatra

Post by kleocatra »

I come from the Mingoia line that came to the US and landed in Cleveland but I have a few death cards listing birth places of Italy.
Funeral Cards Mingoia and Costa.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the birth act of Rosa Maria Di Pressa in 1892 in Cassano al Ionio.

Margin notation indicates her marriage to Salvatore Mancuso in Cassano on 4 July 1914.

Dated 15 December 1892 - birth on 11 December 1892.
Father: Salvatore Di Pressa [son of deceased Tommaso], age 47, coachman
Mother: Angela Maria Francesca Rinaldi, his wife, residing with him
Child given the name ROSA MARIA

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043557

T.