Light Translation Help for Birth Record - GIUSEPPE BENCIVENGA

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Light Translation Help for Birth Record - GIUSEPPE BENCIVENGA

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

Hello, dear friends.

I believe that I have found the birth record of my paternal step grandfather, Giuseppe Bengivengo (Bencivenga), who was born in Sant'Angelo Di Formis, Capua, Caserta in 1880. I would appreciate your taking a look to confirm what I see and to answer a few questions I have. I appreciate your help because Mr. Bencivenga became my dad's stepfather when my father was only 7, after his beloved birthfather died of asthma-driven pneumonia at the young age of 38. I am sad that I never had the opportunity to meet either man. Both died years before I was born.

Here is what I see: on Birth Record #237:

Giuseppe Bencivenga was born to Angelo Bencivenga, 31, son of the late Francesco, and Angelo's wife Maria Giovanna Russo (of unstated age), with whom he lives. Neither of Maria's parents are mentioned. Both Angelo and Maria were peasant farmers. WHAT DATE WAS GIUSEPPE BORN? OTHER VITAL RECORDS INDICATE THAT GIUSEPPE WAS BORN ON 16 AUGUST 1880, BUT THIS BIRTH RECORD SEEMS TO SHOW A DIFFERENT DATE. IT APPEARS THAT THE DATE THE BIRTH WAS REPORTED WAS THE 18TH OF THE MONTH, BUT THAT THE BIRTH WAS A NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE THAT...MAYBE THE 10TH OR 11TH, BUT I'M NOT SURE.

Question 1: After the record states that Maria was a contadina, there are two words. The second word is convivente (that he lives with her), but what is the word between contadina and convivente? I can't make it out.

Question 2: In the margin, next the words Numero 237, there are two or three words. What do they mean?

Question 3: In the margin, below the record number, there are a few additional sentences. I believe they say that on the 8th of April ________________, in Capua, Mr. Bencivenga married Caterina Natale. What do you see? Since Mr. Bencivenga married my widowed paternal grandmother Maria Lavorgna Biondi between 1928-29, when he was 48 or 49, I would need to find out what became of Ms. Natale. Any advice is welcome.

Thank you all so much for the help you have given me in the past and will give me now. It has helped me on the finest journey of my life to find the family most of whom I have never met, but whom I carry in my heart (and DNA) every day.

Clara "Claire"

RECORD #237:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043630
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Light Translation Help for Birth Record - GIUSEPPE BENCIVENGA

Post by mmogno »

... alle ore pomeridiane una e minuti trenta, del dì d'ieri del corrente mese = 17 August 1880

Q1: ... Russo Maria Giovanna sua moglie, contadina, secolui convivente ....

Q2: Numero 237 duecentotrentasette

Q3: Con atto 24 aprile 1902 n. 25 in Capua il Bencivenga sposò Natale Caterina:

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

OrangeBlossom44 wrote:WHAT DATE WAS GIUSEPPE BORN? OTHER VITAL RECORDS INDICATE THAT GIUSEPPE WAS BORN ON 16 AUGUST 1880, BUT THIS BIRTH RECORD SEEMS TO SHOW A DIFFERENT DATE. IT APPEARS THAT THE DATE THE BIRTH WAS REPORTED WAS THE 18TH OF THE MONTH, BUT THAT THE BIRTH WAS A NUMBER OF DAYS BEFORE THAT...MAYBE THE 10TH OR 11TH, BUT I'M NOT SURE.
I think that's d'ieri, or "yesterday", placing the birth date on the 17th.
Question 1: After the record states that Maria was a contadina, there are two words. The second word is convivente (that he lives with her), but what is the word between contadina and convivente? I can't make it out.
Might be "seco lui" (run together), meaning "with him".
Question 2: In the margin, next the words Numero 237, there are two or three words. What do they mean?
Two hundred thirty seven.
Question 3: In the margin, below the record number, there are a few additional sentences. I believe they say that on the 8th of April ________________,
I see 1902. (I'll take mmongo's word that the date is the 24th and that "n. 25" follows; marriage entry #25 for 1902 would be a good starting point.)
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Oh thank you both so much, Mmogno and VotM! I am so delighted to have this information! My paternal grandfather died in 1926, 22 years before I was born...and my father's step dad died 3 years before I was born. My maternal grandmother died 3 years before I was born, and my paternal grandmother died when I was just 5. The only grandparent I really got to know growing up was my mom's father. He was in my life until I was 23. I was so blessed. I feel so close to all of them, even though I really only got to know one. Thank you both for bringing me closer to them!

Clara "Claire"
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Mmogno and VotM, would it be possible for you to translate the three words that follow the bride's age and the two words that follow the name of the bride's father Domenico on Marriage Record #25 whose link is above and which documents Giuseppe's and Maria's 24 April 1902 wedding?

Thanks very much!
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

"2° Natale Caterina di anni ventitre, casalinga (housewife), nata in Sessa Aurunca, residente in Capua figlia di Domenico, residente in Sessa Aurunca, e di fu Oliva Filomena, residente in vita ivi (Sessa Aurunca)"

Sessa Aurunca
http://www.sessaaurunca.net/

"Il documento presentato è il certificato delle pubblicazioni (marriage banns) avvenute in questa città nei dì nove e sedici marzo ultimo.
Al matrimonio han prestato il consenso i genitori dello sposo, siccome si rileva dall'atto della richiesta delle pubblicazioni."

Marriage banns

Documents attached to marriage banns
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

mmogno wrote:Documents attached to marriage banns
Claire, these can be gold. The attachments can become especially valuable when you find a marriage record close to the beginiing of the available online data, or when someone is born in a town for which the data is not available online for the years you are interested in.

If you don't already have the birth record for Caterina Natale, take a look at
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Thank you, mmogno and VotM, for your additional help. Though I've been active in research for years (my husband's lines that all date back to the earliest days of settlement in the US), Italian research has been a real learning experience. Yes, the allegati and documents attached to the banns are excellent resources, especially, like you say, when that even occurs close to the earliest date of available online data, or when someone is born in a town for which the date is not available online for years I'm interested in. Sadly, the comunes I need to research (e.g. Castell'Alfero, Asti; Frinco, Asti; Faicchio, Benevento; and Sant'Angelo Di Formis, Caserta) offer little of these...but I'll keep looking. I am sure that I will have more questions on my Italian lines, but will also continue to research Giuseppe Bencivenga, because of the important role he played in my late father's life, as his stepfather. Thank you both again for your kindness.

Clara "Claire"