Clarification of death record Chiara Altamura

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Clarification of death record Chiara Altamura

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Hi Everyone! I'm back to my genealogy work after a brief vacation to Italy (from Sicily to Milano). I need help with this death record for a person on my family tree. Her name is Chiara Isabella Altamura (born around 1879) to Nicolo Altamura and Maria Giuseppa Cantore. I found this record in the 1872 death records of Molfetta. At first glance in the index I thought it was Chiara. However, when I saw the actual record the first name looks like Ottavia. I also have, in my tree, that she was married to Sergio Gadaleta and Gaetano Messina. I believe this records states that she is the widow of ? de Candia. I think that maybe I found the death record of her sister or the handwriting is Chiara and not Ottavia!

Here is the link to the record:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html

Here is the link to the index:

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Thank you in advance for your time.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Clarification of death record Chiara Altamura

Post by erudita74 »

Sue, the name in the index is definitely Chiara. I agree in the record it's Ottavia. It definitely ends in " Ia" in the record. Maria Guiseppa's surname is Cantatore not Cantore. Looks like 0ronzo de Candia to me.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Erudita, I'm clearly reading Ottavia in the index and also in the record. I agree with Oronzo de Candia and the correction of the mother's surname.

Angela:-)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I'm reading on my kindle and not a computer this week. I looked at the index again and it is Ottavia.
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thank you so much. I'll have to do more research to check if she had a sister Ottavia! This is so interesting.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Hi Sue Hopefully you'll find confirmation. Good luck. Erudita