Changing Your Name

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
GrowlyGirl

Changing Your Name

Post by GrowlyGirl »

Hello,

I am very excited to just have received my grandfather's birth certificate which contains some revealing information not the least of which is that a letter was dropped from our last name when he emmigrated to the US. I realize this is pretty common, but it bugs me. Has anyone every bothered changing their name back to the original spelling?

Nancy
James Graham
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Changing Your Name

Post by James Graham »

Nancy,

My maternal cousin changed his name. His grandfather had the name Grossi but naturalized as Gross.
He went back to Grossi about 2-3 years ago. His reason was that he was moving to Italy.

James
frederickjohnsen

Post by frederickjohnsen »

My Italian branch of the family changed it from Cresci to Cressy. Supposedly, my GGF felt he could not get a job with the carpenters union with an Italian name. Family history has it that his parents and siblings were not happy about it. To date no one in that line has changed it back - though they are quite aware and proud of their Italian heritage.
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

Hi, Nancy!
I have run into several people who, upon arrival here, anglicized their last name to become more acceptable in an English world. I did work once with somebody who changed back his last name from Barnard to Di Bernardo to restore his origin. This may be entirely up to you. Recognize, however, that in so doing you may become unrelated to your brother or your cousin who decides not to go through the changing process.
Good luck
Neil
BrownEyedGirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by BrownEyedGirl »

My great great grandmother's maiden name was Ciampa, and it was changed to Champ. My family didn't know its origins until this lovely forum (IG) helped me track it. Since I found her original name, I've been using it (instead of Champ) on my family heritage documents. Ciampa has a "stronger presence" IMO. :)
For Europe, With Love.