Salerno: Sala Consilina and Atena Lucana

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
dpgalante

Salerno: Sala Consilina and Atena Lucana

Post by dpgalante »

Hi Everyone - Ciao a tutti,

I am looking for more information on the towns of Sala Consilina and Atena Lucana in the Valle di Diana in Salerno.

My great-grandmother and her family were from that area. My great-grandmother was Columbia Aumendo, nee DiSanto (1884-1968). Her husband was Carmine (1866-1923). Columbia's mother was Rosa DiSanto, nee Accetta (1859-1935). Rosa also had a son named Francesco.

In a ship's manifest for Rosa DiSanto's arrival in the US in 1912, her last residence is listed as Sala Consilina, where she left her daughter Columbia, who was presumably with husband Carmine. Carmine and Columbia had a son, Michele, born in 1901, so they must have lived in Sala Consilina together. Rosa's birthplace is listed as "Atena" which must be short for Atena Lucana, a town only a few km away from Sala Consilina.

Any information on these towns would be greatly appreciated. Such as - what are the churches located there or that would have been there in the mid-19th century; are there any online databases with information and vital records about inhabitants; are there any histories specifically about them? Do any other members here have relatives from these places?

Thank you so much and hope to hear your feedback.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Salerno: Sala Consilina and Atena Lucana

Post by Tessa78 »

Link to the churches of Sala Consilina
http://www.comune.sala-consilina.salern ... arrocchie/

some information about the Comune of Sala Consilina
http://campania.indettaglio.it/eng/comu ... ilina.html
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/065/114/

About Atena Lucana
http://en.comuni-italiani.it/065/010/
Listing of churches in or near Atena Lucana
http://www.paginebianche.it/page?btt=1& ... ucana&ind=

T.
dpgalante

Post by dpgalante »

Hi Tessa,

Thank you very much for your reply. This information is quite helpful. I may contact these churches in the hopes that they too can help me. Thank you once again!
michele68
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michele68 »

The surname is Aumenta. In Sala Consilina we have a much Aumenta.
The surmame Di Santo was in census of Sala Consilina in the 1489. It's old surname
GENEALOGY SERVICES in Campania, Basilicata, Calabria regions, Italy
gentilejoy@yahoo.com
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gentilejoy@yahoo.com »

I, too, am doing research on Sala Consilina. Does anyone know how popular is the surname MEDICI in this area? I was told that the neighboring town/city of Polla which is about 12 miles away has many MEDICI. All indication -my grandparents were from Sala Consilina -surname MEDICI. Any thoughts or info. about this surname in this part of Salerno. Thank you to all.
dpgalante

Post by dpgalante »

gentilejoy@yahoo.com wrote:I, too, am doing research on Sala Consilina. Does anyone know how popular is the surname MEDICI in this area? I was told that the neighboring town/city of Polla which is about 12 miles away has many MEDICI. All indication -my grandparents were from Sala Consilina -surname MEDICI. Any thoughts or info. about this surname in this part of Salerno. Thank you to all.
If you do a search for Medici on EllisIsland.org, you get many results for Medicis from Polla in Salerno -- Angelo, Anna, Antonia, Antonio, Carmine, Elisabetta, Francesco, Francescopaolo, Giuseppe, Letizia, Maria Rosa, Maria, Michele (one from Sala Consilina), Nicola, Pasquale, Salomone, Teresa, and Vincenzo.
Eduardo05

Post by Eduardo05 »

I have some ancesrors in Polla, Salerno: Vincenzo Medici married to Maria Giuseppa Curcio and had, at least, onde daughter: Rosa Medici, born in Polla 10 September, 1868, and who married in Polla, Salerno 07 december, 1886 Nicola Maria Michelangelo Sica, born in Sasso di Castalda in 1865, the son of Rocco Sica and Maria Teresa Dotti (family search refers to her as Teresa Doti).
I wonder if you hold info on both the Curcio and Medici families in Polla. I don't think my Medici are from Polla but I cannot say much more about that. I have recently found a certain Francesco Curcio from Polla but living in Caserta and married to a Rosa di Gloria, a couple from the 1800's.
Any info will be most welcome.