Grandmother had three names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mercedesjay

Grandmother had three names

Post by mercedesjay »

I have found it very confusing in researching my deceased grandmother. Her given birth name that I have found was Elvira Louise Campagnoli. However, she used the name Irene almost her entire life. According to family, she was also called Veruccia (not sure of spelling) some of the time. I have never seen the name Veruccia written on any documents pertaining to her though. Is the name Irene any form of English translation or equivalent of Elvira or Veruccia? My grandmother was born in the U.S. to Italian immigrants. mercedesjay.
Have been researching family for more than a decade in the provinces of Campobasso and Frosinone.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Grandmother had three names

Post by mfjp »

Italian Given Names and their English Equivalents

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Poin ... ame.html#E

Hope this helps some...

Someone emailed me this link awhile back... worth bookmarking...

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mercedesjay wrote:I have found it very confusing in researching my deceased grandmother. Her given birth name that I have found was Elvira Louise Campagnoli. However, she used the name Irene almost her entire life. According to family, she was also called Veruccia (not sure of spelling) some of the time. I have never seen the name Veruccia written on any documents pertaining to her though. Is the name Irene any form of English translation or equivalent of Elvira or Veruccia? My grandmother was born in the U.S. to Italian immigrants. mercedesjay.
Veruccia is the diminutive of Elvira: ELVIRUCCIA>Veruccia....( little Elvira)... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mercedesjay

Post by mercedesjay »

Thanks once again for the help mfjp and suanj. That website geocities.com looks like it will come in handy for future reference. As far as the name Veruccia is concerned, it looks as if the mystery is solved as to where it came from. My grandmother's sister told me that she was only called Veruccia at home as if it was just a little nickname. So, I can see her siblings and parents calling their daughter and sister "Little Elvira". I am becoming more and more impressed with this website each day and the members on it that are more than willing to lend a helping hand to a fellow Italian! mercedesjay.
Have been researching family for more than a decade in the provinces of Campobasso and Frosinone.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mercedesjay wrote:Thanks once again for the help mfjp and suanj. That website geocities.com looks like it will come in handy for future reference. As far as the name Veruccia is concerned, it looks as if the mystery is solved as to where it came from. My grandmother's sister told me that she was only called Veruccia at home as if it was just a little nickname. So, I can see her siblings and parents calling their daughter and sister "Little Elvira". I am becoming more and more impressed with this website each day and the members on it that are more than willing to lend a helping hand to a fellow Italian! mercedesjay.
:wink: suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Hi Mercedesjay,

Suanj wrote:

"Veruccia is the diminutive of Elvira: ELVIRUCCIA>Veruccia....( little Elvira)... regards, suanj"

Suanj is right! I too am a "uccia" (Erminuccia>little Erminia) and was the youngest one in our families with this name!

Nuccia :D
mercedesjay

Post by mercedesjay »

My grandmother Elvira was one of the youngest of nine children nuccia! I just wish she was here so I could share all the wonderful information that is being gathered on her family. I had never heard of the "uccia" ending of names before, so I have learned something new for today. Warmest regards. mercedesjay.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi mercedesjay
the name ending: "uccia" (female) and "uccio" (male) is usual in Italy and for many first names and especially in Italy center /south... this diminutives.. they are used more of first names... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mercedesjay

Post by mercedesjay »

Hi Suanj! While talking to family today, I found out that my great-grandmother was often called by people as a nickname "Pascuccia" Her name was Pasqualina or Pasqua. She used both. So, in other words, she was being called "Little Pasqua"! Thanks again for the help. I would have never been able to figure this out without the help of the fantastic people of this website. mercedesjay.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

:wink: suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH