Help w/ a marriage record in New York

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
trecaromia
Rookie
Rookie

Help w/ a marriage record in New York

Post by trecaromia »

I am searching for a marriage record for Martha M.___________ e Michele Jerome or Jerome Michele Licari
some time between 1930-1940 Possibly Brooklyn, NY. I am trying to find Martha's maiden name. They are both deceased. Doing research for their great granddau.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Re: Help w/ a marriage record in New York

Post by VotM »

It's not an immediate answer, but keep your eyes on the "New York, Brooklyn, marriage certificates, 1866-1937" collection on FamilySearch.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

It looks like indexing for this collection is in progress. As more of these films are indexed, you will eventually be able to do an electronic search and (hopefully) find this marriage.

I'm guessing that you have already checked the obituary on GenealogyBank for Jerome Michael Licari and came up empty. (I don't have an account on that site, but FamilySearch pointed to a record there.)
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

trecaromia wrote:I am searching for a marriage record for Martha M.___________ e Michele Jerome or Jerome Michele Licari
some time between 1930-1940 Possibly Brooklyn, NY. I am trying to find Martha's maiden name. They are both deceased. Doing research for their great granddau.
Here is a Social Security listing for Jerome Michael Licari - born 1940, in Brooklyn (their son?)
It lists his father as Jerome M Licari, and his mother as Martha M. Novack

Name: Jerome Michael Licari
[Jerome M Licari]
SSN: 142321808
Race: White
Birth Date: 8 Dec 1940
Birth Place: New York Bro, New York
Death Date: 11 Sep 2000
Father: Jerome M Licari
Mother: Martha M Novack

Type of Claim: Original SSN.
Notes: Aug 1957: Name listed as JEROME MICHAEL LICARI; 14 Sep 2000: Name listed as JEROME M LICARI

T.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

Good find, T.! That would mesh with the 1940 census and what appears on the obituary record I had mentioned.

Census: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2000219
Household Role Gender Age Birthplace
Michael Licari Head M 25 New York
Martha Licari Wife F 28 New York
Robert Licari Son M 6 New York

Obituary: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV57-R4PG
Mr Michael Licari
United States, GenealogyBank Obituaries

Deceased
Name Mr Michael Licari
Titles and Terms Mr
Event Type Obituary
Event Date 16 May 1989
Event Place San Diego, California, United States
Gender Male
Age 74
Relationship to Deceased Deceased
Birth Year (Estimated) 1915
Birthplace New York City, , New York
Death Date about 16 May 1989
Death Place National City, , California

Spouse and Children
Martha Wife Female
Robert Son Male
Jerry Son Male
Michael Son Male
ms_mary58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ms_mary58 »

On Ancestry.com, Jerome Michael Licari, wife Martha M. Novack, but there is no documentation to support this.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

On FamilySearch, the Jerome M. Licari who was born in 1940 died in 2000 in "Atlantic, New Jersey". The Martha M. Licari born in 1911 (which matches expectations on the 1940 census) died in 2001 in "Atlantic, New Jersey". So the next step would seem to be finding a newspaper obituary from Atlantic City (I guess) for Martha M. Licari.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VMP3-1M8
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JR9Y-73P
C_Artale
Rookie
Rookie

Post by C_Artale »

VotM wrote:On FamilySearch, the Jerome M. Licari who was born in 1940 died in 2000 in "Atlantic, New Jersey". The Martha M. Licari born in 1911 (which matches expectations on the 1940 census) died in 2001 in "Atlantic, New Jersey". So the next step would seem to be finding a newspaper obituary from Atlantic City (I guess) for Martha M. Licari.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VMP3-1M8
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:JR9Y-73P
Via a Newsbank search of The Press of Atlantic City, here's the obit for the Jerome M. Licari who was born in 1940:

LICARI, JEROME M. "Jerry", 59, of Absecon, died Monday (9/11/2000) at his home and has "Gone Fishing".

Mr. Licari was born in Brooklyn, NY, and raised in the Belcoville section of Weymouth Township. He moved to California and joined the U.S. Navy where he served as a Radioman in the South Pacific. After serving five years in the Navy, he worked for the Meadwoview Nursing Home of CA as the Head of Facilities for 25 years. Jerry moved to Absecon ten years ago, and was a Maintenance Supervisor for the Lighthouse of Mays Landing for eight years.

During his leisure time, he enjoyed fishing and the outdoors.

He is survived by his wife, Lydia M. (nee Wenger); his five children, Renee Licari and Linda Juergenson of Seaside, OR, Michelle Myer of Reno, NV, Jerome Licari of Daytona Beach, FL, and Michael Licari of Smithville; his four stepchildren: Marlowe Holland of Fort Lauderdale, FL, and Bryan, Lydia and Andrew Holland of Belcoville; his mother, Martha Licari of Pleasantville; his two brothers, Robert Licari of Palm Coast, FL and Michael Licari of Medford, OR; and 12 grandchildren. He was preceded in death by his son, John Licari.

Services will be private, under the direction of the Boakes Funeral Home of Mays Landing.

Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, 626 North Shore Rd., Absecon, NJ 08201.

Via a Newsbank search of The Press of Atlantic City, here's the obit for the Martha M. Licari born in 1911:

LICARI, MARTHA M., "Mother McCree" 89, "whose life has begun" on August 12, 2001. "She is saved." She lived most of her life in San Diego and moved to South Jersey six years ago. Martha was a retired seamstress and enjoyed sharing her love with her family.

She is survived by her daughter in law Linda Cabral; and seven grandchildren: Renee, Jerry, John, Linda, Michelle, Michael, and Teresa. Private services are under the direction of Boakes Funeral Home, Mays Landing.
Surnames of interest:
Artale, Minincleri, Cattat (Accattato), Manfredi, Licetti, Durso, Pizzuto
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

Hmmm. Not as directly helpful as I'd hoped -- the obituaries in the papers my family frequently used would add something of the form (nee XXXXX) to a married or widowed woman's entry -- but it does at least tie her to San Diego.

Still, for a definitive direct tie, at the moment it appears we're back to Brooklyn marriage records or newspaper announcements of same.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:
trecaromia wrote:I am searching for a marriage record for Martha M.___________ e Michele Jerome or Jerome Michele Licari
Here is a Social Security listing for Jerome Michael Licari - born 1940, in Brooklyn (their son?)
It lists his father as Jerome M Licari, and his mother as Martha M. Novack

Name: Jerome Michael Licari
[Jerome M Licari]
SSN: 142321808
Race: White
Birth Date: 8 Dec 1940
Birth Place: New York Bro, New York
Death Date: 11 Sep 2000
Father: Jerome M Licari
Mother: Martha M Novack

Type of Claim: Original SSN.
Notes: Aug 1957: Name listed as JEROME MICHAEL LICARI; 14 Sep 2000: Name listed as JEROME M LICARI

T.
Mother's maiden name is here in the SSI application for her son :D

T.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

True. There's enough of a trail connecting the dots that it should be convincing. But sometimes it's nice to have that last piece of evidence, just in case someone didn't get things quite right in the SSDI.

Generally, information on the SSDI entry is drawn from the death certificate, and thus only as good as the info provided for that certificate. Along those lines, I have a cousin who provided her husband's mother's full name and father's first name instead of her father's parents names at her father's death. And sometimes you just have to scratch your head at where the info comes from. My godfather's date of death, for example, was listed as a date nearly three years after his death in the SSDI -- the date one of his savings bonds was finally cashed.

That said, I agree with your find; in the absence of other records, "Martha M. Novack" would be a good starting point to use for other family research.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I agree. Information on US records, especially death certificates, can be very inaccurate and unreliable.

However, the poster can request (for verification) Jerome M. Licari's (born 1940) Social Security APPLICATION (SS-5) where the mother's correct name should be listed (since the information was provided by either Jerome or his parents.)

Here is the link to order using the SS# listed above.
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWe ... t/main.jsp

Information about the SS-5 and its genealogical value :-)
https://www.legalgenealogist.com/2013/0 ... -the-ss-5/

EDIT***

Likewise, a request for the SS-5 for Martha M. Licari, should show her maiden name :-)
Name: Martha M. Licari
SSN: 071-22-4375
Last Residence:
08232 Pleasantville, Atlantic, New Jersey, USA
BORN: 8 Sep 1911
Died: 12 Aug 2001
State (Year) SSN issued: New York (Before 1951)

T.
VotM
Elite
Elite

Post by VotM »

When it comes to family research, to paraphrase an old saying, I learn something new every day. :-)

Seriously, I wasn't aware of the SS-5. Thanks for the info!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

VotM wrote:When it comes to family research, to paraphrase an old saying, I learn something new every day. :-)

Seriously, I wasn't aware of the SS-5. Thanks for the info!
As do I! :D

T.
trecaromia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by trecaromia »

Tessa78:
I can not thank you enough for this information. Your are truly a Genealogy Angel. One of their descendants is
in stage 1V of liver cancer and she will be extremely happy with this information on her bio father and nonno/nonna. Long story, but again mille grazie. trecaromia.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Very happy to have helped! :-)

I responded to your PM.

T.