Gioacchino Goia (Frinco, Asti) Dead End - Help Requested

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Gioacchino Goia (Frinco, Asti) Dead End - Help Requested

Post by OrangeBlossom44 »

I have reached a dead end on my maternal 2x great grandfather, Gioacchino Goia. I cannot find a birth, marriage, or death record for him. Here's what I do know.

-- He was born and lived in Frinco.

-- He was married to Maddalena Gaspardone (my maternal 2x great grandmother), who was born in Frinco on 11 April 1810 and died there a widow on 1 March 1882.

-- Gioacchino and Maddalena had at least three children:
*LUIGIA, born in Frinco around 1833/34, was the wife of Felice Cavallero, and died in Frinco on 8 October 1910.
*ANTONIA, born in Frinco around 1835/36, was the wife of Francesco Cantino, and died in Frinco on 29 December 1915. ANTONIA and Francesco are my 1x great grandparents.
*PLACIDA, born in Frinco around 1846/47, was the wife of Gioachino Angelo Cavallero, and died in Frinco on 29 Jul 1895.

-- Gioacchino is mentioned as 'deceased' on the death certificates of his wife Maddalena and all 3 daughters.

-- From the documents listed above, I have concluded that my Gioacchino died sometime between 1846/47 and 1882...and was likely born around 1810.

-- I have searched the image records available on FamilySearch and the various Antenati records for Frinco with no luck. I found just one death record for a man named Gioacchino Goia, but I do not believe it to be him. Here is the link.

1871, Frinco, Record #13 -

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=1937992

What should I do next? I appreciate your guidance. Thank you.

If would like me to post links to documents, please let me know. Thanks again.

Claire
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Gioacchino Goia (Frinco, Asti) Dead End - Help Requested

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Claire :-)

Is Gioacchino identified as living or deceased on the marriage records of the three daughters?

If he was deceased for any of those marriages, his death act MAY be included in the allegati records for the marriage.

T.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Hi, Tessa - :)

Thank you for writing. I have been unable to locate marriage records of any type for the three daughters. If he were deceased for any of those marriages, how would I locate the Allegati records for the marriage that MAY contain his death act? Isn't the availability of Allegati records rather random?

Since most of the available marriage records cover the period beginning on or after 1866 and since Luigia was born around 1833/34, it's likely she had already married by 1866. The same is most definitely true of Antonia, who was born around 1935/36 and who had already given birth to her first child, Desiderio, by around 1856. Placida was the best hope, but I could not find any marriage related documents for her in the appropriate timeframe for a marriageable woman. Should I send away for these? How would I pinpoint the years that the comune staff would search? I would hate to waste their time.

Happily though, an examination of the birth records for Antonia Goia's youngest daughter (Gioacchino's granddaughter) shows that Gioacchino was deceased by the time of his granddaughter's birth on 18 July 1867. Therefore, we have narrowed the year of Gioacchino's death to sometime between 1846/47 (when his youngest child Placida was born) and 18 July 1867 (when Gioacchino's youngest grandchild was born). In addition, I do not see a death record for him among the 1866 records.

Neither FamilySearch nor Antenati records appear to exist that would help me narrow it still further.

Since I was able to tighten the end date by looking at the birth dates of Gioacchino's youngest grandchildren, do you think I should try to identify more grandchildren born to his three daughters? If you have any other ideas in mind, I would be happy to pursue them.

Thank you very much, Tessa! You have a knack of helping me stay focused, encouraged, and motivated!!! And, I appreciate that very much!

Claire
Castell'Alfero, Frinco, Faicchio. Cognome: Biondi, Lovisone, Cantino, Goia, Lavorgna, Fassio, Dezani, Mussetto, Negro, Gaspardone, Giannotta, SanGiovanni, Porto, Fiorentino, Gavello, Morra, DiMeo, Ferracane, Rampone, Dalu.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

OrangeBlossom44 wrote:Hi, Tessa - :)

Thank you for writing. I have been unable to locate marriage records of any type for the three daughters. If he were deceased for any of those marriages, how would I locate the Allegati records for the marriage that MAY contain his death act? Isn't the digitized availability of Allegati records rather random? YES

Since most of the available marriage records cover the period beginning on or after 1866 and since Luigia was born around 1833/34, it's likely she had already married by 1866. The same is most definitely true of Antonia, who was born around 1935/36 and who had already given birth to her first child, Desiderio, by around 1856. Placida was the best hope, but I could not find any marriage related documents for her in the appropriate timeframe for a marriageable woman. Should I send away for these? YES How would I pinpoint the years that the comune staff would search? I would hate to waste their time. They wish about a 5-year range.

Happily though, an examination of the birth records for Antonia Goia's youngest daughter (Gioacchino's granddaughter) shows that Gioacchino was deceased by the time of his granddaughter's birth on 18 July 1867. Therefore, we have narrowed the year of Gioacchino's death to sometime between 1846/47 (when his youngest child Placida was born) and 18 July 1867 (when Gioacchino's youngest grandchild was born). In addition, I do not see a death record for him among the 1866 records. That helps. I would also write (separate letter) requesting a search for Gioacchino's death in the years 1860-1864, to begin.

Neither FamilySearch nor Antenati records appear to exist that would help me narrow it still further. You are correct.

Since I was able to tighten the end date by looking at the birth dates of Gioacchino's youngest grandchildren, do you think I should try to identify more grandchildren born to his three daughters? If you have any other ideas in mind, I would be happy to pursue them. Any other clues will always help.

Thank you very much, Tessa! You have a knack of helping me stay focused, encouraged, and motivated!!! And, I appreciate that very much!

Claire
Always happy to help! Stay motivated :-)

When you send your requests (not more than 2 per letter), but sure to send a photo ID, an email address where they can contact you, and as much information as you can provide to aid their search.

Address for Frinco, in case you do not have it:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via San Firmino, 1
14030 Frinco (AT)
ITALY

T.
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Tessa -

Out of curiosity, why would they want MY photo ID?

Thank you for all your ongoing help!

Claire
Borealis

Letterio Rando & Giulia Schirentino. Messina

Post by Borealis »

Never knew this site existed . . . very special as perhaps now I can solve my grandparents history .

This is all I know.... any help would be wonderful - There appears no be no males to carry on the Rando name on Letterio's end. These are my grandparents -Letterio and Giulia

Dr. Vincenzo Giacomo Rando m. Aurora Donato 1885 Messina, Italy ( b. August 22, 1870)
Son: Letterio Rando born September 22, 1886 died December 15, 1958
Aurora Donato remarried Cappedonia after Vincenzo died

Letterio Rando m. Giulia Schirentino April 9, 1910. In USA
Giulia Schirentino b. Dec 28, 1882 d. March 22, 1964

Giulia and brother Andrew came to USA on a ship - no record of Letterio Rando coming over .

Maria Theresa Ferrara m. Carmelo Schirentino Palermo, Italy. (Carmelo is Giulia's brother perhaps?)

Thank you so very much for any info! There must be relatives in USA ? Sicily?
OrangeBlossom44
Veteran
Veteran

Tessa -

Would it be okay to email my request to Frinco, like I have in the past, or should I write an email instead.

Thank you.

Claire
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Claire :-)

The photo ID, and stating your relationship (as I understand it) is assure them that "you are you" when making the request for vital records. Privacy is a concern.

My suggestion would be to send a regular "snail-mail" letter. You can always follow that up with an email inquiry after a few weeks if you have not heard from them.

T.
bostonbaked

Post by bostonbaked »

Maybe