Military records for Egidio Gulfo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Military records for Egidio Gulfo

Post by Liberati »

I am interested in requesting military records for my great-great-grandfather, Egidio Gulfo. He was born in either 1871 or 1877 in Potenza, Italy. Based on stories I heard from my late grandfather Egidio served in the Italian Army (most likely somewhere around the 1890s) and rose to the rank of sgt. At the dawn of the 20th century, he moved with his family to the United States (to Niles, OH to be exact), and Americanized his name to George Wolfe. He passed away in 1937. Any tips on how to contact the appropriate provincial archives (I think it would be Basilicata in this case) would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Military records for Egidio Gulfo

Post by adelfio »

Is this your Egidio Gulfo

Egidio Gulfo, "New York, Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island), 1892-1924"

Given Name: Egidio
Surname: Gulfo
Last Place of Residence: Italy, Colobraro
Event Date: 24 Apr 1910
Nationality: Italy, Italian South
Departure Port: Naples
Arrival Port: New York
Marital Status: M
Citizenship Status:
Ship Name: Florida
PG LINK TO MANIFEST LINE #9
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0009

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Have you seen the records on line at familysearch.org

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n617419187
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

The interesting thing is that the mayor was Giuseppe Gulfo, he died in 1907.

Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

Marty - thanks for the information. Yes - I believe that is the correct Egidio Gulfo (or George Wolfe) as my family later called him. He was enamored with the USA but his wife was not, so they moved back and forth between America and Italy a few times between 1902 and 1912, when they finally settled in the USA for good.

Joann - many thanks for sharing those links. I can't wait to get a close look at them when I am on a computer with a large screen (I am on my iPad right now).
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

As I mentioned earlier, I believe he served in the Italian Army roughly around the 1890s. It would have to have been prior to 1902, when he first settled in America. Any tips on trying to track down his service records? Thanks again.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

What was Egidio Gulfo parents names?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

Marty,

His parents' names were Antonio Gulfo and Rose (Rosa) Romano Gulfo. They were both from Potenzo, Italy.
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

Joannsalvo wrote: 12 Feb 2014, 00:24 The interesting thing is that the mayor was Giuseppe Gulfo, he died in 1907.

I wanted to check back in regarding this great resource and try to get some more information about it. Is it some sort of death record? And if so, for whom? Also, I see where an Egidio Gulfo is mentioned in the document. How does he tie into it? Thanks!
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

Joannsalvo wrote: 11 Feb 2014, 23:24 Have you seen the records on line at familysearch.org

Sorry - I think this link is the one that has the reference to Egidio Gulfo. Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

If that was the right shipmanifest he was born in Colobraro province Matera what was Egidio wifes name?

Marty

Marty
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

adelfio wrote: 20 Jan 2017, 16:21 If that was the right shipmanifest he was born in Colobraro province Matera what was Egidio wifes name?

Marty
Yes - I believe that he was born in Colobraro. His wife's name was Benedetta Altiero (1876-1963) - who was also born in Colobraro. When they immigrated to the U.S., they Americanized their names to George Wolfe and Betsey Wolfe.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Request for military record for Egidio

Email: as-mt@beniculturali.it

ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI MATERA
Via Tommaso Stigliani, 25
75100 Matera(MT)
Italy

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva di Egidio Gulfo.

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
Mi chiamo YOURNAME Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Colobraro. Vorrei sapere di più di loro.
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere l'esito registro di leva o registro dei foglie matricolari di Egidio Gulfo di Antonio Gulfo and Rosa Romano nato a Colobraro il 1874-1877.
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Nell'attesa della sua risposta le invio cordiali saluti.
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty

Marty
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Liberati »

Thank you, Marty!