State of Family Certificate?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
VMHermann

State of Family Certificate?

Post by VMHermann »

I have seen several references to a "state of family certificate". What is that and what information does it contain?

Thank you,
Vela
Researching family names of: Faggiani, Soncini, Hermann, Barataud
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: State of Family Certificate?

Post by wldspirit »

"The anagrafe office of each town keeps a record of all the people living in a place of residence. This record is updated as the children are born, marry, and move away, and as death occurs. Even more important for genealogy purposes is the stato di famiglia storico certificate, It is not kept at the anagrafe office but at the ufficio di stato civile, and it documents not those present at a given time, but all members of the family, past and present, including those who moved away or died. Therefore, for the genealogist, the stato di famiglia originario certificate is a valuable source for documenting an entire family unit."

Taken from Trafford Cole, "Italian Genealogical Records"

wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Can anyone tell me how many generations back the ufficio di stato civile provides on the stato di famiglia orginerio :?: Can you request one for someone born in the 1700's :?:

I know the cost depends on the size of the family, but how costly are we talking :?:

Thanks for the help,
jcsm
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Also from the book:

A census was taken from the beginning of the Kingdom of Italy in 1871.
However, the original purpose of this census was to identify potential taxpayers, who were usually heads of households. Consequently, the only name that appeared was that of the household patriarch. The number of people living in the home, which sometimes included several families, was also included. This census varied from region to region, and those censuses taken during the first fifty years do not provide very accurate documents for genealogical purposes. Not until 1911 did the first nationwide census include the names of all people living in each household and provide accurate vital statistics about each. The stato di famiglia originario is based on this census material. Therefore in most areas of Italy, it exsist as a document only from 1911 onward. The same information can be obtained for earlier periods if the ufficio di stato civile staff are willing to reconstruct the information from original birth, marriage and death records. The staff of most towns' vital record offices are very busy and usually will not conduct such research. Nevertheless, it is certainly worth requesting. For example shown, the town office staff did perform the research and charged less than $40.00.

note: on example it shows a family with 7 persons dating from 1872 to 1909.

Hope this is a help to anyone interested in said document.
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

widspirit,

Many thanks for the information.
DANN
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DANN »

Hi.
Can I ask, where will one be able to access these records? Is it just a case of writting to the town of your family's origin or is there somewhere online perhaps?

Best Regards,
Dan
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

By writing to the town of origin.
wldspirit