Cristofaro Sessa

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
sknurbein
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 03:32

Cristofaro Sessa

Post by sknurbein »

Hoping someone may be able to help me track down where my great-grandfather is from and possibly his family. As far as I know he immigrated to the USA alone. His name is Cristofaro Sessa, born on December 18, 1876 though various sources site different years. Naturalization petition lists December 18, 1877 and then I found a Cristoforo Sesso arrived in NYC in June 1894 but he said he was 27 years old putting him born in 1867 (possibly lied to get on the ship?). WWI Draft Registration lists Dec 18, 1876. Tombstone says 1876. His father's name was Michele but his mother I'm not sure. On his marriage record to Anna Citro it's hard to read but it was transcribed as Stelta Auelta. Died January 16, 1939 in Brooklyn. I haven't seen the original death record but the transcription for his mother's name just has / so I'm guessing it was either blank or illegible. All of the documents I've pulled list "Italy" as his birthplace. I'm pretty positive he's from the Campania region - maybe Caserta or Salerno since that seems to be where my grandfather's distant cousins on DNA match are from.
Huge thanks in advance for any assistance!
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Cristofaro Sessa

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
From the archives of Salerno military registration which goes by birth year

Nome: Cristofaro Sessa

Classe: 1876

Comune di nascita: Fisciano

Cristofaro Sessa son of Michele Sessa and Filomena Ianniello 12/07/1876 in the town of Fisciano


Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
sknurbein
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 03:32

Re: Cristofaro Sessa

Post by sknurbein »

Thanks Marty! I found that as well but I'm not sure if I should just run with it or not since the mother's name doesn't seem as great of a match.
sknurbein
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 03:32

Re: Cristofaro Sessa

Post by sknurbein »

Here is the marriage record. As noted in my post above, his mother's maiden name is difficult for me to read but maybe someone else would recognize it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Cristofaro Sessa

Post by Tessa78 »

The mother's name looks like Stella Aniceto. This surname is found in Fisciano, Salerno Province.

Another possibility is the surname Aniello.

T.
sknurbein
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 03:32

Re: Cristofaro Sessa

Post by sknurbein »

Thanks, Tessa!! Aniceto sounds like a possibility - for reference the bride's name is Annie Citro so I was examining the way they write the letter "T". I'm not sure Stella is really Stella either, it looks like a T near the end.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Cristofaro Sessa

Post by Tessa78 »

sknurbein wrote: 19 Aug 2017, 16:35 Thanks, Tessa!! Aniceto sounds like a possibility - for reference the bride's name is Annie Citro so I was examining the way they write the letter "T". I'm not sure Stella is really Stella either, it looks like a T near the end.
It does! :-)
Could be sloppy writing, too :-D

Here are some Italian female given names that have similar spelling...
Stelia
Stella
Stellia
Stellina
Stelvia
Stena
Stenia
Sterpeta

T.
sknurbein
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: 12 Aug 2017, 03:32

Re: Cristofaro Sessa

Post by sknurbein »

Super helpful, thank you so much!!
Post Reply