Anyone have any experience with Catasti Onciari records?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jdonofrio

Anyone have any experience with Catasti Onciari records?

Post by jdonofrio »

I was wondering if anyone has done any research with Catasti Onciari records located at the Archives of Naples? (These are tax rolls that contain information on people living in Italy during the mid-1700 time frame.)

Has anyone in this forum ever worked with these records? Did they provide any useful information?

About how many pages would a typical small commune (500-1000 people) require in these records? Does anyone know how much the Archives would charge for copies of a certain family in a comune, and would they even consider assisting with this request or would a request such as this require a professional researcher?

I have traced my family back to the late 1700s using the Civil records and it is possible that I could gain some insight into my family in the village that they are from (San Potito Ultra).

Thank you for any assistance that you may be able to provide.

Regards,
Jeff Donofrio
robertjohnj

Re: Anyone have any experience with Catasti Onciari records?

Post by robertjohnj »

Hi Jeff,
I visited Italy in October of 2003. I was in Naples for 3 days. While there, I went to the Archives and requested the Catasti Onciari for 3 of my ancestral towns. They were each about the same population as yours (@ 1000). The books were about 10 inches thick, bound with cord. They were arranged in sections with each section giving different information about the household. If I recall, they were in alphabetical order by First Name of the head of the household.
The books were about 300 (a guess) pages. The reason the books were so thick is because each page was thicker than would be the case today. I was able to find some of my ancestors, and in 2 cases, was able to go back a generation further. And, that was with just 2 hours research. It was a Saturday and they closed at noon. We were leaving the next day.
We did inquire about how much it would cost to “copyâ€Â
jspdg

Post by jspdg »

Bob, many thanks for your reply to Jeff's message. This is a topic of great interest to me as well, and has been discussed briefly here previously in another thread: Catasti Onciari discussion

Bob, thanks for sharing your experience in Naples.

jspdg
robertjohnj

Post by robertjohnj »

Hi jspdg,
The comunes that I requested the Catasti Onciari for were all in the Molise region (Campobasso & Isernia provinces) which is where my maternal grandmother’s ancestors were from. As I mentioned, I’ve gotten lucky with marriage processetti in that area and have quite a few lines back to the early 1700’s and a couple lines into the 1600’s. I see that you’re researching the Avellino area. That’s where my maternal grandfather’s ancestors were from. In the Avellino province, I’m researching Summonte, Capriglia, Ospedaletto d'Alpinolo, and Mercogliano. None of the civil records microfilmed by LDS for those comunes include the marriage processetti, so I’m not as far back on those lines. Which towns are you researching in Avellino?

A question for the group……On the civil marriage records in the Avellino area, the processetti documents (birth of bride & groom, death of a parent/grandparent, etc) are listed on the marriage document . So, I know that they were presented. They had to be, it was the law. However, as I said above, those documents were not microfilmed by LDS. My question is, would those additional documents exist for research at the province archives in Avellino?

Thanks,
Bob
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Good question, Bob.

My area has the process papers filmed, but some of the early ones are missing some acts that are show as being submitted.

If no one answers this here, suggest posting separately.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jspdg

Post by jspdg »

Hello Bob and others,

A listing of some of the fondi in the Archivio di Stato di Avellino shows the following two lines listed under "S" (for Stato Civile):
Atti dello Stato Civile della provincia di Avellino, 1809-1865, regg. 1592. Inventario
*Processetti matrimoniali, 1862-1865, bb. 10. Inventario*

The asterisks are theirs, not mine. I can't say for sure what that indicates, but my first (and hopefully wrong) guess would be that processetti before 1862 are not in the archive.

But wow, there sure are a lot of other materials there that I'd like to access!

Bob, I sent you a PM about my Avellino research interests.

jspdg
lalberogenealogico
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lalberogenealogico »

I was in Napoli one month ago for my family tree. I saw some Catasti Onciari. What are you looking for?

Gaetano Petrillo