DePricolo and/or DeBiase Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
taximom

DePricolo and/or DeBiase Families

Post by taximom »

Hi. I am looking for any clues as to where to find information on the DePricolo and/or DeBiase Families who originated from Frosolone and Acquavive. I believe they came to the United States during the late 1800's, but don't have an exact date or where they entered. I suspect either New York City or Philadelphia as a port of entry, but don't know for sure. I do know my Grandmother (DeBiase family) lived and was married in New York, but that some of her brothers and sisters and her mother lived in Philadelphia. My Grandfather (DePricolo--later changed to Prisolo) I believe must have come in from New York City or as a possible remote place, Boston, as he had relatives in upstate New York and north of Boston. Any help anyone can give me would be most appreciated. I do have death certificates and a marriage certificate, but no birth certificates. And I do have their parents names.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: DePricolo and/or DeBiase Families

Post by nuccia »

Hi taximon,

Have you checked the Ellis Island manifests? Since you didn't provide us with any names or posiible birthdates I'm linking the DiBiase's that went through New York for you to look over.

http://stevemorse.org/goulnik/match1.ph ... &dwpdone=1

Ellis Island is a free site but requires registration of a username and passwork. I'm on my way out but I'll check back later for further info and poke around some.

Hope this helps.

Nuccia :D
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

You might find this link interesting. Are you the one who posted it??

http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec?htx=m ... ricolo&m=1
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi There,

Can you be a little more specific with names and dates and maybe we can help you track down information so that you can start your research.

Please get back to us.
Have a great day!
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

taximom wrote:Hi. I am looking for any clues as to where to find information on the DePricolo and/or DeBiase Families who originated from Frosolone and Acquavive. I believe they came to the United States during the late 1800's, but don't have an exact date or where they entered. I suspect either New York City or Philadelphia as a port of entry, but don't know for sure. I do know my Grandmother (DeBiase family) lived and was married in New York, but that some of her brothers and sisters and her mother lived in Philadelphia. My Grandfather (DePricolo--later changed to Prisolo) I believe must have come in from New York City or as a possible remote place, Boston, as he had relatives in upstate New York and north of Boston. Any help anyone can give me would be most appreciated. I do have death certificates and a marriage certificate, but no birth certificates. And I do have their parents names.
Hi, obvioulsy De Priscolo is a surname that exist not in Italy...
I found some people coming from Frosolone with Prisoli surname spell
1. Carmine Prisoli Frosotone, 1904 19
2. Lucia Prisoli Frosotone, 1904 18

[hr]
and Pricoli:
10. Assunta Pricoli Frosolone 1906 21
11. Maria Pricoli Frosolone 1897 22
[hr]
Prigoli(Pricoli):
24. Assunta Prigoli Frosotone, 1904 14
the right spell in Molise is PRICOLO... hoping helpful, regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
taximom

Post by taximom »

Hi Everyone. Thank you for your interest in the DePricolo and/or DeBiase Families. First let me say that DePricolo is indeed a legitimate Italian name and not a made up name. It was changed to Prisolo by my Grandfather because when he lived in Schaghticoke, New York, no one could pronounce Pasquale DePricolo. Since his middle name was Anthony, he changed his name to Tony Prisolo. That said, let me try and answer some of the other questions posted. The entry on Ancestry.com is indeed mine, to which I have not had any replies. I have also checked or tried to check the Ellis Island Manifests to no avail. Since I don't have a specific date of entry, nor the ship they came over on or their point of entry, it is virtually impossible to check. As to my ancestors' names I will attempt to give a brief history. My Grandfather was born in Frosolone, Italy in 1872. His parents were John (Giovanni) DePricolo and Concetta Nibaldo, who I understand both died in Italy, but don't know when. My Grandfather had 3 sisters--Assunta (who married the brother of my Grandmother and lived in Groveland, Massachusetts), Michaelangelo and Gabriella who stayed in Italy. There was also a nephew of my Grandmother, Concetta Nibaldo. His name was Jack Nibaldo and she was his legal guardian. He also lived in Massachusetts, Haverhill to be exact. On to my Grandmother. Lucy (Lucia) DeBiase was born either in Frosolone or Acquavive, Italy in 1880. Her parents were Rocco DeBiase and Maria Victoria Masselle. From what I can gather, Rocco was born 3/12/1845 and died 5/8/1920 either in Philadelphia or Italy, don't know which. Their children were Lucy, Peter, Angeline, Rose, Jenny (Jonelle), Anna, Joseph, Molly and Benny. Rocco's parents were Simon DiBiaso and Magdalena Colacielo and Simon's parents were Rocco DiBiaso and Maria Rosa. Notice the different spelling of DeBiase as we go further back. Their is also another spelling--Beiso. That is about as much information as I have been able to gather. Hope this helps answer anyones questions which have been posed. One more interesting thing I just thought of. I have been to the Morman Center--2 actually. Unfortunately all their records are in Italian and on microfiche. I can't read nor speak Italian, so that avenue is not an option to me. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.
taximom

Post by taximom »

Hi Everyone. Thank you for your interest in the DePricolo and/or DeBiase Families. First let me say that DePricolo is indeed a legitimate Italian name and not a made up name. It was changed to Prisolo by my Grandfather because when he lived in Schaghticoke, New York, no one could pronounce Pasquale DePricolo. Since his middle name was Anthony, he changed his name to Tony Prisolo. That said, let me try and answer some of the other questions posted. The entry on Ancestry.com is indeed mine, to which I have not had any replies. I have also checked or tried to check the Ellis Island Manifests to no avail. Since I don't have a specific date of entry, nor the ship they came over on or their point of entry, it is virtually impossible to check. As to my ancestors' names I will attempt to give a brief history. My Grandfather was born in Frosolone, Italy in 1872. His parents were John (Giovanni) DePricolo and Concetta Nibaldo, who I understand both died in Italy, but don't know when. My Grandfather had 3 sisters--Assunta (who married the brother of my Grandmother and lived in Groveland, Massachusetts), Michaelangelo and Gabriella who stayed in Italy. There was also a nephew of my Grandmother, Concetta Nibaldo. His name was Jack Nibaldo and she was his legal guardian. He also lived in Massachusetts, Haverhill to be exact. On to my Grandmother. Lucy (Lucia) DeBiase was born either in Frosolone or Acquavive, Italy in 1880. Her parents were Rocco DeBiase and Maria Victoria Masselle. From what I can gather, Rocco was born 3/12/1845 and died 5/8/1920 either in Philadelphia or Italy, don't know which. Their children were Lucy, Peter, Angeline, Rose, Jenny (Jonelle), Anna, Joseph, Molly and Benny. Rocco's parents were Simon DiBiaso and Magdalena Colacielo and Simon's parents were Rocco DiBiaso and Maria Rosa. Notice the different spelling of DeBiase as we go further back. Their is also another spelling--Beiso. That is about as much information as I have been able to gather. Hope this helps answer anyones questions which have been posed. One more interesting thing I just thought of. I have been to the Morman Center--2 actually. Unfortunately all their records are in Italian and on microfiche. I can't read nor speak Italian, so that avenue is not an option to me. Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you.
taximom

Post by taximom »

vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi taximom!
Thank you for the additional information.
Have you already looked at the 1900 - 1930 Census?
Some of these may be your Di Pricolo family...
What do you think?
vj

confirmed
1900 US Census
Schaghticoke, Rensselaer, NY
Tony D PRICOLO, b Jan 1869, 31 yrs old, married 2 years,
immig 1891 in US 9 yrs, Na, Confectionary Store, rents house
wife Lucy, b May 1874, 26 yrs old, 1 child born, 1 child living,
immig 18? in US 25 yrs
daughter Concetta, Oct 1898, 1 yr old, b in NY

confirmed
1910 US Census
Philadelphia 33 Ward, Philadelphia, PA
3356 Orkney Street
Pasqualo PRISOLO, 38 yrs old, married 12 yrs, immig 1888? Na,
Watchman - (?) Works
wife Lucia, 33 yrs old, 5 children born, 4 children living, immig 1890?
daughter Congetta, 11 yrs old, b in NY
daughter Mary, 9 yrs old, b in NY
son John, 7 yrs old, b in NY
daughter Helen, 2 yrs old, b in PA
niece Emily FUSCO?, 16 yrs old, married 0 yrs, b in PA
nephew in law Angelo FUSCO, 25 yrs old, b in Italy (no immig date),
Drier - Leather Works

edit - still missing
1920 US Census
NOT: Troy Ward 7, Rensselaer, NY - Patsy PRICOLO

confirmed
1930 US Census
Troy Dist 75, Rensselaer, NY
2332 5th Ave
Patrick PRISOLO, 60 yrs old, married age 28, immig 1884 Na
Paperhanger - Odd Jobs, owns house $8,000
wife Lucia, 54 yrs old, married age 24, immig 1884 Na
son John, 27 yrs old, b in Schaghticoke NY,
Motor Winder - Power & Light
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi taximom,

I just want to say that it is not necessary for you to be able to read, write or speak Italian in order to get family information from the Morman filmed records. I don't either and have gotten back to the mid 1700's.

With the help of word lists (English to Italian) and helpful volunteers at the FHC & here, anyone can trace their family!

Give it a try.
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
taximom

Post by taximom »

Hi vj

First let me say thank you because this is the first time our name has come up on anything.

Secondly, how can I get into the census records? I have tried different times at different places and have come up blank.

On what you have posted, even though some of the dates may be off, I think the 1900 census is my family. My Grandfather owned a store--grocery, confetionery, etc. in Schaghticoke and the oldest of my Dad's siblings is Congetta and she was born either in 1898 or 1899. The 1910 census from Philadelphia I believe is also my family. The names and birthdates of the children seem to be correct, except there is no mention of my Uncle Rocco who died shortly after arriving back in the states from Italy. The 1920 census are definitely not us. And last but not least, the 1930 census is definitely our family. The street address is the same as where they lived and he did run a grocery store--fruits and vegetables mostly--either on the ground floor or next door and my Dad would have been that age. Plus him and my Mother married on June 21, 1930 and they lived with my Grandparents for about 6 months or so before moving to Albany, New York, and then on to Watervliet, New York where they eventually settled.

So, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you! At least I know we are out there somewhere!

taximom
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

taximom,
DE BIASE family?
more census possibilities:

confirmed
1900 US Census
Manhattan Dist 51, NY, NY
231 1/2 Thompson
Rocco DIBIASO, Apr 1844, 56 yrs old, married 19 yrs, immig 1879 in US 21 yrs,
Rag? Dealer, rents house
wife Victoria, May 1861, 39 yrs old, married 19 yrs,
9 children born, 5 children living, immig 1882 in US 18 yrs
children all born in NY
daughter Rose, Mar 1883, 17 yrs old
daughter Madeline, Apr 1887, 13 yrs old
son Peter, Apr 1893, 7 yrs old
daughter Annie, Mar 1896, 4 yrs old
daughter Angelina, Apr 1899, 1 yr old

If this is your DeBiase family in 1910, possible that Maria Victoria Masselle
wasn't Rocco's 1st wife? Not Lucia's mother?

1910 US Census
Philadelphia Wd 20, Philadelphia, PA
1033 Master St
Rocco DIBIASO, 64 yrs old, married twice, current marriage 25 yrs,
immig 1879 Na, Retail Dealer - Junk, Employer, rents house
wife Victoria, 48 yrs old, 9 children born, 5 children living, immig 1885
children all born in NY
daughter Rose, 25 yrs old
daughter Madeline, 22 yrs old, Teacher - Public School
son Peter, 16 yrs old
daughter Anna, 14 yrs old
daughter Angeline, 11 yrs old

confirmed
1920 US Census
1420 12th Street
Philadelphia Ward 20, Philadelphia, PA
Rocco DI BIASS, 72 yrs old, immig 1883 Na 1888?, rents house
wife Victoria, 54 yrs old, immig 1883 Na 1888?
children all b in NY
son Peter, 26 yrs old, Junk Dealer - Junk Business, working on Own Account
daughter Madeline, 28 yrs old, School Teacher - City
daughter Anne, 22 yrs old, Clerical Work - Junk?

Note: same address another family
Cosmo Dilenardo (DELEONARDO), 29 yrs old, b in PA,
parents b in Italy, worker Junk Dealer - Junk Business
wife Rose 31 yrs old, b in NY
daughter Helen, 5 yrs old
son Robert, 2? yrs 10 mos old

confirmed
1930 US Census
6144 N 17th St
Philadelphia Dist 1044, Philadelphia, PA
Madeline D'BISSO, 40 yrs old, b in NY, Teacher - Public School,
owns house $3,000, has radio
sister Anna, 30 yrs old, b in NY, Book Keeper - Janitor Supply Co
mother Victorina, 67 yrs old, widow, married at age 21,
immig 1883 Na

next door at 6142 N 17th St
Cosmo Di'Leanerdo (DELEONARDO), 39 ys old, married at age 23, b in PA,
Merchant - Paper Mill Supply, owns house $3,000
wife Rose, 42 yrs old, married at age 26, b in NY
daughter Helen, 15 yrs old, b in PA
son Robert, 13 yrs old, b in PA
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

taximom,
You are very welcome! :)
We ALL love to help make family connections.
I'll delete the 1920 census info.
The census are from ancestry.com
Free access at Family History Centers or free 14 day trial at
Ancestry.com
(get cancellation # and cancel on a weekday)
Your family records are out there. :wink:
Checking census usually helps narrow down immigration dates -
yours look pre-Ellis Island... not impossible to find, just more involved.
vj
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Most public libraries also provide access to Ancestry, as well as a number of other paid genealogy sites. Thru these you can access actual images.

The 14 day free trials provide limited info and NO images of actual documents.

wldspirit
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

taximom,
may have found a transcription of one of the manifests:

Possible?
Manifest info SS Caldera at Castle Garden (no actual manifest)
http://castlegarden.org/quick_search_re ... ubmit.y=13

At a Family History Center you should be able to order microfilm to view the entire manifest:
Series M237 Roll 446 Nbr 78 Year 1882 Month January Day 21
Frame 357 Ship Caldera Port Marseilles FHL roll 1027016

Rocco Dibiase Occupation Farmer Age 39 Sex M Literacy U Arrived 21 Jan 1882 Origin Italy Port Marseilles Last Residence U Destination USA Plan Unknown Ship Caldera Passage Unknown

Vittoria Dibiase Occupation Farmer Age 21 Sex F Literacy U Arrived 21 Jan 1882 Origin Italy Port Marseilles Last Residence U Destination USA Plan Unknown Ship Caldera Passage Unknown

Luisa Dibiase Occupation Child, Youngster Age 6 Sex F Literacy U Arrived 21 Jan 1882 Origin Italy Port Marseilles Last Residence U Destination USA Plan Unknown Ship Caldera Passage Unknown

Giovannetta Dibiase Occupation Child, Youngster Age 3 Sex F Literacy U Arrived 21 Jan 1882 Origin Italy Port Marseilles Last Residence U Destination USA Plan Unknown Ship Caldera Passage Unknown

note: this manifest is on ancestry... hard to find... looked under Immigration, NY Ships, 1882, Caldera, page 3 of 6. Shows other passengers and that they travelled in 3rd class.