Timing of naturalization for jure sanguinis

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Timing of naturalization for jure sanguinis

Post by nicedream »

I just received my great grandfather's Naturalization records from DHS....they took twice as long as his records from Italy! :lol:

Anyways, the 1930 census listed him as an Alien, which I now know was incorrect: He was a citizen in 1930. I'm not sure why it lists him as Alien.

Now I am double checking to make sure I am still eligible for Italian jure sanguinis citizenship.

I am trying to claim it through my mother->grandmother->great grandfather. My grandmother was born to my Italian great grandfather in 1925, which was AFTER he declared his intention to naturalize, but BEFORE he actually complete the process.

Here are the 3 documents I recieved from the US Dept. of Homeland Security:

1. Declaration of Intention dated December 13 1923
2. Petition for Naturalization dated November 27 1926
3. Certificate of Naturalization dated May 25 1927

My grandmother was born November 7 1925, so it would be between items 1 and 2. In fact, she is listed as his child on the second item (the petition for naturalization).

So I believe I am still eligible for citizenship, since my great grandfather had only declared his intention (but did not complete the process) when my grandmother was born. Can anyone confirn this?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Timing of naturalization for jure sanguinis

Post by mler »

It's not the petition of naturalization they are interested in--only the actual naturalization so you would qualify on that basis. However, because you are claiming citizenship through your mother/grandmother, your mother must have been born AFTER 1948 or your grandmother could not have passed citizenship to her. Good luck.
nicedream
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Timing of naturalization for jure sanguinis

Post by nicedream »

Thanks for the reply, mler.

Yes, my mother was born in 1957, so I am good there too. 8)