Immigrating children question

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Gram
Rookie
Rookie

Immigrating children question

Post by Gram »

Having just started a genealogy search for my husband's faternal family I am overwhelmed by the amount of information and advice offered by this site. I found it by a listing in the book "They Became Americans" by Loretto Dennis Szucs. I couldn't be more pleased! I have many questions but I would like to start by asking how I would find who was traveling with an immigrating child, my husband's uncle, Salvatore Lonetto.
The Ellis Island Passenger record states: Lonetto, Salvatore, Mescoraca, Italy, July 22 1912, 4 year old, male, Sant Anna, Naples, Campania, Italy.
We are sure he should have been traveling with his mother, Caterina Lonetto to meet Francesco Lonetto in Buffalo, NY. I have been told female passengers were not listed. Is this correct?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Women in Italy do not lose their identity so the child usually would be listed right under the mothers maiden name or a guardian and would usually be bracketed on the ships manifest. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I took a quick look at the ships manifest and it shows that the mother was destined to her husband on the line just above Salvatorfe's name. Both names were illegible but the destination shows where both were destined to. Peter
Gram
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gram »

Thank you for your quick answer! I never thought to look for the mother's maiden name. I went back and there it was, Caterina Mancuso, right above Salvatore Lonetto. Doesn't pay to listen to someone who is not an expert. What information does the manifest have that the passenger record doesn't? Now I have to figure out when Salvatore's name was changed to Anthony Joseph. :)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

if he died after 1963 go to the social security death index and see what name he used or perhaps his naturalization papers may show the name chnage. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

if he died after 1963 go to the social security death index and see what name he used or perhaps his naturalization papers may show the name chnage. Peter
Gram
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gram »

The name is a double-whammy because Salvatore Lonetto was aka
Anthony Joseph Lonetti, the surname also being changed, in his adult life.
His brother Vincenzo Lonetto aka James Michael Lonetti also made the surname switch in his young adult life. We have been told a teacher thought Vincenzo sounded like Jim and his name was americanized at that time. The name game is very interesting! :)
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

iF i CAN ASSIST PLEASE CONTACT ME. pETER
Gram
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gram »

Thanks :D I just found your link for naturalization information and I will follow that for information for Francesco Lonetto, Salvatore's father. Will the wife and child be included in these papers? Time frame 1910-15.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

It should. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

your last inquiry came in on someone elses lease repeat and explain on yours. Peter
Gram
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gram »

I was commenting on the advice you gave to italstal 1066. I tried the www.infokey.com to search the surname Lonetto and there were no hits. I wondered if that means I will find a different spelling of Lonetto further back. :roll:
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Not everyone has a family crest. The website is for Heraldry and not every family name has any hewraldic history. Family crests are for nolbility given to certain families during the middle ages. Peter
Gram
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gram »

You learn something new everyday. Now I understand something else!
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Please read the home page of this very same website starting from the beginning. It is chock full of information and if you want to know more in any one subject click on where at the end you see...<<<< . Herladry is one of the subjects discussed. Peter