Searching for records of biological grandfather Vezio Benini

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ugthar123

Searching for records of biological grandfather Vezio Benini

Post by ugthar123 »

My biological grandfather disappeared sometime in 1945. My dad never knew or met his biological father and I am trying to fill in the missing gaps of our family tree. The information I have came from my grandmother in an interview in 1995 before she passed away, and I am trying to find record of my grandfather before my dad passes away as well. This is what we supposedly know:

Name: Vezio Benini
Date of Birth: November 14, 1921
Born in or near Montecatini Terme in the province of Pistoia
Vezio had 3 brothers.

He met my grandmother in Vienna Austria in 1943, and may have previously been a prisoner of war. I have looked all over the internet for anything and have found nothing on this man, and really need the community support. Any help is appreciated in trying to track down birth records, death records, and military records.

Much thanks

Mike Vavra
scorpion_100@hotmail.com
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Searching for records of biological grandfather Vezio Benini

Post by adelfio »

Hi
What was your grandmothers name?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

Hello.

At the time my grandmother met my grandfather (sometime in 1943), she was still technically married to another man (her husband died in the war) so her name was Helene Janosh, but her maiden name was Bartalski. My grandmother never married my biological grandfather.....I guess the story goes he got pissed when he found out my grandmother was still technically married.
adellagreca
Rookie
Rookie

Post by adellagreca »

Mike,
I checked the white pages (paginebianche.it) for Montecatini Terme and found 14 Benini with phone number and address in Montecatini and nearby towns.
Have you considered going through that route to find the whereabouts of your grandfather? Vezio is not a common name and if they heard of him they would know. That said, I would not identify myself as a grandson immediately to assure some kind of reply, but a simple letter to all the names in the Prince of Pistoia may do the trick.
Good Luck
Neil
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

This is an interesting approach, one that I have not considered or thought of yet. The chances of him being alive are incredibly slim, but these might be family members that might have information.

Also, considering the timeframe, would the province of Pistoia hold any civil registration records at this point, and possibly military records?

Thank you again for your help.
gaspaol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gaspaol »

His military record should be kept at the Florence state archive in the Pistoia military district collection.
as-fi@beniculturali.it
Ricerche genealogiche in Italia
https://gasppaol.wixsite.com/genealogia
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

Is this email address to the Florence state archive?
gaspaol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gaspaol »

ugthar123 wrote: 14 Jul 2018, 02:05 Is this email address to the Florence state archive?
Yes, it is
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

I sent an email to them, and have yet to get a response. Is there a particular format of request I should send them? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Much thanks!
gaspaol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gaspaol »

It can take a while. Just wait for some weeks and most probably you will eventually receive a reply.
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

The state archive of Pistoia came back with no results. They have no military records. Is it possible that military records could be kept at a different archive than from where he was supposedly born?

I was also able to fit together clues that he was either stationed in, or spent time in Risano (Risan - Montenegro) during the Italian occupation and annexation there in 1943. Would knowing this be of any benefit to searching for military records?