Considering submitting DNA

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
debbiemfitalian
Rookie
Rookie

Considering submitting DNA

Post by debbiemfitalian »

Good afternoon !

As a cautionary measure, I had not planned on submitting DNA. I have read many varying statements/articles on the privacy laws. Not planning on committing a crime ! :) But invasion of our privacy has become prevalent and is increasing, and who knows what could happen!

However, I have hit some really big road blocks in my Italian search that I have not found a way around, and am considering submitting my DNA for testing. I've read some of the helpful posts here, and from what I've read, I'm not sure it would even be helpful to me.

I have been on Ancestry for 8 yrs. I regularly check for other members looking for my same ancestors, and there has never been one, ever. So, I'm not sure it would have any beneficial results for me. Wouldn't it be safe to assume, that if someone had tested their DNA with Ancestry, and was in their database, they would also be a member with a tree? I have doubts my Italian relatives would be in any database, as I can't even find a shared one on Ancestry, Family Search etc.

Additionally, both of my GGP's, who married in NYC in 1905, state where they are from in Italy on the marriage record, but neither of their baptism records have found at the local parishes. Based on their parents names they gave, we think we found their families in those communes, and can trace the families back to the 1700's. We cant be 100% certain with out a baptism record each of my GGP's, but we think they have a long history in those communes. They are from Lombardy and Piedmont in northwest Italy.

We believe both families relocated (separate regions). And haven't been able to determine where they went as of yet. Eventually both of my GGP's separately immigrated to the US somewhere between 1895 - 1905, and met in NY.

Based on this information, even though we can't find my GGP's baptism records to verify his birth/parents, the families we believe are theirs, come from the northwest region for many generations. And I don't believe it would help me identify where they disappeared to after my GGP's births, and until they came to the US. My grandmother, their first born in NY, never spoke of cousins or any relatives of her parents in the states. My mother, aunts and uncles never met any, so it doesn't seem like any other relatives were in the states, or so it seems. I guess there could be a small possibility. Lastly, it is doubtful that my Italian relatives in Italy are looking for their American relatives in the States, from ancestors that immigrated there long ago.

While learning more detail of my ethnic mix would be interesting (paternal GP's immigrated from Ireland, would expect almost 100% Irish there). I would really like to find my Italian genetic relatives.

Based on what I perceive to be a small probability that my relatives are in a database, is there other benefits or processes that might come from my submitting DNA?

I would appreciate input from anyone with much greater knowledge than me! Thanks in advance for your help !

Debbie
Bob
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Considering submitting DNA

Post by Bob »

The way I look at it is when despotic rule takes over, they’re going to force everyone to take DNA tests anyway. Unfortunately, I believe that is in the future of human history. With regard to the privacy laws, there are a couple of things to consider. Since you’re in the US, we have have laws that require some kind of reasonable suspicion of a person with a crime to subpoena records for a particular person. That said, there are open sites like gedmatch.com where people upload their raw data to match them with people who used a different original service. It was gedmatch where investigators uploaded a DNA sample to match it to the relative of a serial murderer to narrow down their search. Personally, if a second cousin or some such person turns out to be a murderer or rapist, it wouldn’t bother me that they were caught due to my DNA.

The other question for me was more of a moral one in, am I participating in tearing down at the idea of personal privacy? My answer is, I think there are much more obscure and insidious acceptance turning over privacy in social media and services that tens of millions in this country use everyday without a thought. The important thing is that though I may volunteer up my own information, I have to protect other’s right to privacy as far as they choose.
brogie62
Elite
Elite

Post by brogie62 »

You would be surprised how many cousins you may have that you are ignorant about. It could very well help you confirm the ancestry that you suspect.
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
debbiemfitalian
Rookie
Rookie

Agreed. I have read about the cases where they were able to catch criminals through the DNA websites, very interesting. Well, given all of the aforementioned reasons, I think my chances of having great results are on the low side. But I think you are right Brogie. You never know ! And its not a huge expenditure, if all fails.

Thank you both for your input !
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

I have recently received the results of my ancestry.com DNA test, which says I am 69% southern Italian, pinpointing Sicily, even though all the ancestors I have traced back to the 1700's are from Calabria, 14% Causasas and 13% Middle East.

But more interestingly I have discovered 2x 2nd cousins who were both adopted out as children as their mothers got pregnant to Italian men out of wedlock. Both are trying to find their fathers who are related to me. So if you think there might be skeletons in the closet that you don't want uncovered, maybe don't do the test.

The test has also led me to find the death certificate of my great grandfather which I have been searching for for the last 10+ years. My GG had been travelling back and forth to America for work, when he suddenly died around 1925. We heard stories that he had died of pnemonia, but another story that he had gotten mixed up with some mafia figures and had an untimely death. I found someone through the DNA match that had some matching family tree information, and his tree had this death certificate attached to it which states he died on pnemonia. When I contacted this person they said "I was actually surprised to find pneumonia on the death cert, as I had heard the story that my Grandfathers uncle was shot and murdered as he walked out of church. As my mother told the story, people called her uncle Romeo because he was a very good looking man. He gained the attention of the wife of a high level mobster. Angered, the mobster put a hit on him and had him shot as he walked out of Sunday Mass." So maybe there is some truth to it.

Anyway, my point is that it seems there is lots that can be discovered with the DNA test. I have connected with over 200 people that have done the test, so I'm sure I will discover so much more when I get around to contacting more people.
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
debbiemfitalian
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for your reply Jo. So very interesting to uncover that history. I actually placed my order, and the kit is on it's way! Based on the reasons I gave previously, I really am not expecting much, but who knows, maybe there will be a surprise. I would love it if it turned up some cousins. But, we really don't think they had other family members here. If so, we are completely unaware. And I would be thrilled to find family in Italy ! But I really don't think they are looking for me ! Nevertheless, I will be excited to get the results.

Curious, how did it lead to finding your GG death certificate?

Thanks !
Debbie
jo123
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jo123 »

When you do the test through ancestry.com it shows you if you have any matches in your family tree to someone your DNA has matched with. So they had my great grandfathers sister in their tree, and had my grandfather but with incorrect spelling of his name (which is what was on his death certificate) and this is why I had never to been able to find it. You might discover more than you think you will. Good luck
Tracing my family from Sinopoli. Surnames: Monterosso, Puccini, Carbone, Tripodi, Caruso, Rugnetta, Fimmano, Luppino.
ms_mary58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ms_mary58 »

Additionally, with ancestry.com, you also have the option of pulling you DNA sample from the site once you view your results.

Submitting my DNA has brought me in touch with several family members that I had lost touch with, and also brough a couple of surprise cousins that were adoptees looking for the bio families, one a first cousin. You may be shocked by what you turn up, so be prepared.
debbiemfitalian
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks for all your input. Waiting on pins and needles now !
alived

Post by alived »

Hi

Interestingly, my DNA test shown no italian genes but Balkan, which may relate to the migration through the adriatic sea. My GGP were from Stigliano in the area of Lucarnia surnames Mastronardi and Granieri, just above Calabria and migrated in 1906/7, to Argentina, but many relatives in USA and I found their arrival in New York shortly after their marriage. This issue of wrong spellings may be one to look at as DNA matches just found one 2nd cousin who lookeing at her tree one old surname (Fornabio) is similar to one on mine (Fornabaio) this was difficult to investigate as was from 1800s, but I will be starting a new search.