Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
-
dcameransi
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16
Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
I am hoping someone can help me locate my great-grandparents, Carmine and Letizia Patille, town(s) of origin. In speaking with family members, they were never very forthcoming with any information about their life in Italy.
Carmine, who later became known as James Samuel after settling into America, was born around 1868/69 in Rome, Italy.
Letizia, who later became known as Lizzie after she immigrated, was born around 1874/76, in Isernia, Campobasso.
In the documents I have found, with the exception of six baptismal records, wherever a maiden name is requested, Letizia always left it blank or put "unknown". However, in the baptismal records she states her last name as Pitelli (same as Carmine's). This would lend credence to the rumor that they were cousins.
I know they (or at least Carmine) emigrated from Italy to the UK. Then from the UK to Canada. Then from Canada to Philadelphia, PA. I'm not sure if they traveled together from Italy or met somewhere along the way. I have not been able to find a marriage certificate as of yet.
Throughout all of the documents I have found, the surname has always been misspelled: Patilli, Petilli, Patella, Pettelo, Pitelli...making locating their town of origin a bit difficult and information sporadic.
I have written to the Archivio di Stato di Isernia twice, and both times they state there are no such persons with those names.
A few months ago, I PM Suanj to see if she could help. She hypothesizes that since Letizia was from Isernia, Campobasso, Carmine was claiming to be from the Region of Rome, not the city. She believes him to be from the area somewhere between Frosinone and Caserta; probably near Cassino / Cervaro where there are still Pittiglio to this day.
I recently came across two documents that I believe to be my great-grandfather's. I am unable to view them, but I am hoping his town of origin is listed on one. Is anyone able to help?
1) Graramie Pirutille
1901 - England and Wales Census; Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire
2) Carmine Pitteli
1902 - Regno Unito, Elenchi dei passeggeri in partenza, 1890 - 1960
One last note, but I don't know how reliable it may be. Carmine's (James Samuel) State of Delaware Death Certificate states that his father's name was Frank.
I've seen some pretty amazing detective work on this forum and now I'm hoping you may be able to work some magic for me with the little bit of information I have.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan
Carmine, who later became known as James Samuel after settling into America, was born around 1868/69 in Rome, Italy.
Letizia, who later became known as Lizzie after she immigrated, was born around 1874/76, in Isernia, Campobasso.
In the documents I have found, with the exception of six baptismal records, wherever a maiden name is requested, Letizia always left it blank or put "unknown". However, in the baptismal records she states her last name as Pitelli (same as Carmine's). This would lend credence to the rumor that they were cousins.
I know they (or at least Carmine) emigrated from Italy to the UK. Then from the UK to Canada. Then from Canada to Philadelphia, PA. I'm not sure if they traveled together from Italy or met somewhere along the way. I have not been able to find a marriage certificate as of yet.
Throughout all of the documents I have found, the surname has always been misspelled: Patilli, Petilli, Patella, Pettelo, Pitelli...making locating their town of origin a bit difficult and information sporadic.
I have written to the Archivio di Stato di Isernia twice, and both times they state there are no such persons with those names.
A few months ago, I PM Suanj to see if she could help. She hypothesizes that since Letizia was from Isernia, Campobasso, Carmine was claiming to be from the Region of Rome, not the city. She believes him to be from the area somewhere between Frosinone and Caserta; probably near Cassino / Cervaro where there are still Pittiglio to this day.
I recently came across two documents that I believe to be my great-grandfather's. I am unable to view them, but I am hoping his town of origin is listed on one. Is anyone able to help?
1) Graramie Pirutille
1901 - England and Wales Census; Great Grimsby, Lincolnshire
2) Carmine Pitteli
1902 - Regno Unito, Elenchi dei passeggeri in partenza, 1890 - 1960
One last note, but I don't know how reliable it may be. Carmine's (James Samuel) State of Delaware Death Certificate states that his father's name was Frank.
I've seen some pretty amazing detective work on this forum and now I'm hoping you may be able to work some magic for me with the little bit of information I have.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Dan
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Welcome to IG website
Letizia Patelli
Born: 1874 in Bologna, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italia
You will also find attached to this person
6 people in this member tree
Contact ancestry.com user helene_bral47
Marty
Letizia Patelli
Born: 1874 in Bologna, Bologna, Emilia-Romagna, Italia
You will also find attached to this person
6 people in this member tree
Contact ancestry.com user helene_bral47
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
-
dcameransi
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Marty,
Thanks for your help. Although, I'm not so sure that's the same one. My great-grandmother claimed to be from Isernia.
I've noticed over the years, as a general rule of thumb. Patelli were located in the north of Italy, Pitello / Pitelli are located in the south by Calabria, Petillo around Naples and Salerno, and Piatelli around Pescara.
Thanks for your help. Although, I'm not so sure that's the same one. My great-grandmother claimed to be from Isernia.
I've noticed over the years, as a general rule of thumb. Patelli were located in the north of Italy, Pitello / Pitelli are located in the south by Calabria, Petillo around Naples and Salerno, and Piatelli around Pescara.
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Lizzie Patella
in the 1910 United States Federal Census
View 1910 United States Federal Census
View blank form
Add alternate information
Report issue
Name: Lizzie Patella
[Lizzie Palella]
Age in 1910: 36
Birth Year: abt 1874
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: Frederica, Kent, Delaware
Street: Front Street
Race: White
Gender: Female
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: James Patella
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Native Tongue: English
Able to Read: No
Able to Write: No
Years Married: 7
Number of Children Born: 4
Number of Children Living: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
James Patella 42
Lizzie Patella 36
America Patella 7
Megala Patella 5
Thrasena Patella 3
Lizzie Patella 1
Save Cancel
Source Citation
Year: 1910; Census Place: Frederica, Kent, Delaware; Roll: T624_145; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 0016; FHL microfilm: 1374158
Marty
in the 1910 United States Federal Census
View 1910 United States Federal Census
View blank form
Add alternate information
Report issue
Name: Lizzie Patella
[Lizzie Palella]
Age in 1910: 36
Birth Year: abt 1874
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: Frederica, Kent, Delaware
Street: Front Street
Race: White
Gender: Female
Relation to Head of House: Wife
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: James Patella
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Native Tongue: English
Able to Read: No
Able to Write: No
Years Married: 7
Number of Children Born: 4
Number of Children Living: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
James Patella 42
Lizzie Patella 36
America Patella 7
Megala Patella 5
Thrasena Patella 3
Lizzie Patella 1
Save Cancel
Source Citation
Year: 1910; Census Place: Frederica, Kent, Delaware; Roll: T624_145; Page: 2A; Enumeration District: 0016; FHL microfilm: 1374158
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
-
dcameransi
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
That's them. Teresa was my grandmother.
The 1920 Census has them in Fair Hill, Maryland and by 1930 they're living in Wilmington, Delaware.
It looks like James (Carmine) petitioned for citizenship while in Frederica, Delaware at this time, but Lizzie, to the best of my knowledge, never did.
The 1920 Census has them in Fair Hill, Maryland and by 1930 they're living in Wilmington, Delaware.
It looks like James (Carmine) petitioned for citizenship while in Frederica, Delaware at this time, but Lizzie, to the best of my knowledge, never did.
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Still looking for birth town looks like Milano
Marty
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
In this death certificate for Edith Patella, 4 month old child of James Patella/Patilla and Elizabeth - the mother's maiden name appears to be a phonetic spelling but the writing is horrible and it looks like "Crisscia" -
Perhaps the mother did not have the same surname as Carmine/James
James Patella
mentioned in the record of Edith Patella
Name: James Patella
Sex: Male
Wife: Elizabeth Cress*
Daughter: Edith Patella
Other information in the record of Edith Patella
from Delaware Vital Records
Name: Edith Patella
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 29 Jul 1917
Event Place: New Castle, New Castle, Delaware, United States
Event Place (Original): Mercer, New Castle
Gender: Female
Age: 0
Birth Year (Estimated): 1917
Father's Name: James Patella
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Cress*
Certificate Number: 390
T.
Perhaps the mother did not have the same surname as Carmine/James
James Patella
mentioned in the record of Edith Patella
Name: James Patella
Sex: Male
Wife: Elizabeth Cress*
Daughter: Edith Patella
Other information in the record of Edith Patella
from Delaware Vital Records
Name: Edith Patella
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 29 Jul 1917
Event Place: New Castle, New Castle, Delaware, United States
Event Place (Original): Mercer, New Castle
Gender: Female
Age: 0
Birth Year (Estimated): 1917
Father's Name: James Patella
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Cress*
Certificate Number: 390
T.
-
dcameransi
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Thank you Tessa. This was one I actually have never seen before. I must not have paid any attention to it due to Elizabeth's last name.
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Great fine Tessa!!
Welcome it say Roma where they located in Italy wonder if it means Roma province or what?
Marty
Welcome it say Roma where they located in Italy wonder if it means Roma province or what?
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Thanks Marty 
Yes, "Roma" is mentioned on the above death act. However, due to the variety of spellings for the father's surname, and unknown surname for the mother... it is hard to narrow down a town in Province of Rome (Metropolitan City).
PETILLO is more common in the city of Rome than the towns (if that is the spelling)
Petillo 48.07 Roma Roma
Petillo 9.03 Mentana Roma
Petillo 3.15 Fiumicino Roma
Petillo 3.04 Lariano Roma
Petillo 2.99 Latina Latina
Petillo 2.89 Anguillara Sabazia Roma
Petillo 2.87 Genzano di Roma Roma
Petillo 2.86 Rieti Rieti
Petillo 2.78 Ladispoli Roma
Petillo 2.76 Nettuno Roma
Petillo 2.67 Anzio Roma
Petillo 2.64 Viterbo Viterbo
Petillo 2.61 Rignano Flaminio Roma
Petillo 2.58 Castel Madama Roma
AND, likewise, for the spelling of the surname as PATELLA
Patella 93.61 Roma Roma
Patella 10.84 Gaeta Latina
Patella 8.97 Latina Latina
Patella 8.34 Ladispoli Roma
Patella 5.66 Aprilia Latina
Patella 3.15 Sermoneta Latina
Patella 2.99 Marino Roma
Patella 2.94 Palestrina Roma
Patella 2.80 Guidonia Montecelio Roma
Patella 2.76 Ciampino Roma
Patella 2.73 Gallicano nel Lazio Roma
Patella 2.70 Monterotondo Roma
Patella 2.67 Anzio Roma
Patella 2.66 Villa Santa Lucia Frosinone
But we will keep searching
T.
Yes, "Roma" is mentioned on the above death act. However, due to the variety of spellings for the father's surname, and unknown surname for the mother... it is hard to narrow down a town in Province of Rome (Metropolitan City).
PETILLO is more common in the city of Rome than the towns (if that is the spelling)
Petillo 48.07 Roma Roma
Petillo 9.03 Mentana Roma
Petillo 3.15 Fiumicino Roma
Petillo 3.04 Lariano Roma
Petillo 2.99 Latina Latina
Petillo 2.89 Anguillara Sabazia Roma
Petillo 2.87 Genzano di Roma Roma
Petillo 2.86 Rieti Rieti
Petillo 2.78 Ladispoli Roma
Petillo 2.76 Nettuno Roma
Petillo 2.67 Anzio Roma
Petillo 2.64 Viterbo Viterbo
Petillo 2.61 Rignano Flaminio Roma
Petillo 2.58 Castel Madama Roma
AND, likewise, for the spelling of the surname as PATELLA
Patella 93.61 Roma Roma
Patella 10.84 Gaeta Latina
Patella 8.97 Latina Latina
Patella 8.34 Ladispoli Roma
Patella 5.66 Aprilia Latina
Patella 3.15 Sermoneta Latina
Patella 2.99 Marino Roma
Patella 2.94 Palestrina Roma
Patella 2.80 Guidonia Montecelio Roma
Patella 2.76 Ciampino Roma
Patella 2.73 Gallicano nel Lazio Roma
Patella 2.70 Monterotondo Roma
Patella 2.67 Anzio Roma
Patella 2.66 Villa Santa Lucia Frosinone
But we will keep searching
T.
-
dcameransi
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
I've attached (I think) three files of who I believe to be my great-grandfather. Who knew Carmine was so difficult to spell. I know Pirutille isn't phonetically close to what we're looking for, but all his information correlates perfectly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
dcameransi
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Sorry. The other 2 files didn't attach.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
dcameransi
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Here is what was available from Family Search.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-
dcameransi
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 17 Jul 2018, 13:16
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
If you look at the 1902 US Border Crossing From Canada, you'll notice it looks like Carmine is traveling with a Patrizia Farrocco (Family Search has it input as Patuzia Varrocco). I cannot find any other record for this woman. However, a search of the surname Farrocco lists many of them from Cerro al Volturno (IS). Example: there is a Lucio Farrocco declaring he is from Cerro al Volturno on his ship manifest and WW1 draft card. But, on his WW2 draft card he states he was born in Rome, same as Carmine does.
Re: Help locating town of origin - Petillo / Pittiglio
Earlier in your posts you mention that
If so, can we see that image?
While many immigrants adopted more American-sounding names, the first name "James" is usually the American version of Vincenzo... so Carmine - to - James... is a bit unusual.
T.
Do you have his petition? or his declaration of intent?by 1930 they're living in Wilmington, Delaware.
It looks like James (Carmine) petitioned for citizenship while in Frederica, Delaware at this time,
If so, can we see that image?
While many immigrants adopted more American-sounding names, the first name "James" is usually the American version of Vincenzo... so Carmine - to - James... is a bit unusual.
T.
