Meaning of surname Di Cresce

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mercedesjay

Meaning of surname Di Cresce

Post by mercedesjay »

I am interested in finding a website that offers the meanings and/or origins of surnames, if one exists. I am especially interested in my great-grandmother's name of Di Cresce. She was born in Broccostella (Provincia di Frosinone) where many generations of the Di Cresce family have lived. Any information on the name or a website would be appreciated. mercedesjay.
Have been researching family for more than a decade in the provinces of Campobasso and Frosinone.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Meaning of surname Di Cresce

Post by jcsm400 »

hi,
Hope this helps.
www.italyworldclub.com
Go to genealogy>ethymology.
Happy hunting,
jcsm400
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mercedesjay wrote:I am interested in finding a website that offers the meanings and/or origins of surnames, if one exists. I am especially interested in my great-grandmother's name of Di Cresce. She was born in Broccostella (Provincia di Frosinone) where many generations of the Di Cresce family have lived. Any information on the name or a website would be appreciated. mercedesjay.
What I can say is that the Di Cresce surname most probable had origin in Caserta province and especially in Carinola town, and also Broccostella was (in the past) in Caserta province, now in Frosinone... the meaning ... no sources, but perhaps in origin the surname was only Cresce.. and most probable coming from latin first name Crescius... hoping helpful, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mercedesjay

Post by mercedesjay »

Thanks jcsm400 for the website. I have found several other of my family's surnames listed and found it very useful. I can definitely see me using it again in the future. The name Di Cresce is an unusual one I will have to admit. I rarely see it anywhere other than in my research on my family. Suanj, I also appreciate your valued opinion as always. My Aunt Maria Campagnoli, who was born in Sora, had told me that Sora and Broccostella was once in Caserta. She had recalled hearing her parents talking of Sora and saying, "Sora campagna Provincia Caserta" Does that mean the countryside of Sora, Province of Caserta? Thanks again everyone for your help. mercedesjay.
Have been researching family for more than a decade in the provinces of Campobasso and Frosinone.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Glad I could help a little. Could it also be spelled "Di Criscio" as show on the Italy World Club website?
Have a great day!
jcsm400
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

"Sora campagna Provincia Caserta" Does that mean the countryside of Sora, Province of Caserta?
:wink: YES!!! :wink: but for SORA Campagna was all the Sora common land... also the town obviously :wink: suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mercedesjay

Post by mercedesjay »

I do know that of the relatives that came to the U.S., many of their descendents have changed the name Di Cresce to many different variations. However, what I listed is the true spelling. I think many of my cousins today did not intentionally change the spelling, it just sort of changed over time through people here not knowing how to spell it properly. Sometimes while researching records of this family here in the US, I have found this name "butchered" up so badly that it is almost unrecognizable. mercedesjay.
polsinelli

Post by polsinelli »

My family is from Broccostella. My cousin married a DiCresce. They now live in the Detroit, Michigan USA area. I can ask her if she knows anything regarding the meaning of her last name.
polsinelli

Post by polsinelli »

My family is from Broccostella. My cousin married a DiCresce. They now live in the Detroit, Michigan USA area. I can ask her if she knows anything regarding the meaning of her last name.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Found this. Add "di" copy, go to free translation site, & paste

CRESCI
CRESCITELLI Cresci, non molto comune, sembra avere un ceppo in Toscana, nel fiorentino e nel massese ed uno in Basilicata, Crescitelli, molto raro, è specifico di Altavilla Irpina (AV), dovrebbero derivare dal nome medioevale Crescius di cui si hanno tracce ad esempio a Firenze nel V° secolo con un vescovo con questo nome; si ricorda il beato Crescio, terziario francescano, nato a Foligno nel 1243. Esempio di questa cognomizzazione lo si ha a San MIniato (FI) nel 1480 con il vicario Andrea Cresci di Crescio.

Hope it helps.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

MarcoG

Post by MarcoG »

My great-great grandmother was Maria Luigia Di Cresce born in Frosinone (most likely Sora) in the 1800's (not sure exact date) she married my great-great grandfather Serafino Palleschi who was also from Frosinone (same info i have like for Maria) She gave birth to two son's Tommaso (my nonno grande) and Antonio in Sora, Lazio in the early 1900's. Any of this sound familiar to you? I am also looking for any good info about this surname.