Stato Civile di Palermo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AlexKN

Stato Civile di Palermo

Post by AlexKN »

My mother has been trying to get information about her maternal grandmother's ancestry. Backstory is that the grandmother's parents were married in the late 1900s (probably in 1908 or 1909), and the father changed his name when he emigrated to the United States. Not only did he change his name, but the rest of the family (including the grandmother) all used that "new name" when they came here. As a result, we are clueless as to the grandmother's real birth name. There's a separate backstory on the father that I'll make a separate post about later.

To find out the real names, my mother contacted the Stato Civile di Palermo asking them for a copy of the record. Last week (I think Tuesday), she received an email back that just said "Per competenzia" with the email CC'd to Dott. Giulio Incardona. Dott. Incardona is, per the website of the Stato Civile, the person responsible for pulling the records once they have confirmed that they have the record, and it says that he will get the record within 5 days. I am assuming this email to mean that they found the record in the marriage index and that they have passed the process on to the competent person.

It's now been well over a week, and we've heard nothing. Are they likely snail-mailing a bill to my mother? Do they take longer than 5 days to handle requests for old records? I'm worried we're getting our hopes up for nothing.
Surnames: Addamo, Assena, Biundo, Bracco, Caruso, Costa, Cuccia, d'Amico, di Fiore, di Majo, Di Palermo, Grieco, Jacono, la Licata, Picoraro, Ricci, Russo, Sinopoli, Spadaro, Zummo, etc.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Stato Civile di PalermoStato Civile di Palermo

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to website
Did you name and date that you want your maternal grandmother's ancestry?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
AlexKN

Re: Stato Civile di Palermo

Post by AlexKN »

Sorry for the late reply... Yes, we made a request to the stato civile about this marriage record, but we don't know the exact date is. The most important thing for us is interpreting what this ambiguous email means.
Surnames: Addamo, Assena, Biundo, Bracco, Caruso, Costa, Cuccia, d'Amico, di Fiore, di Majo, Di Palermo, Grieco, Jacono, la Licata, Picoraro, Ricci, Russo, Sinopoli, Spadaro, Zummo, etc.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

You need to post the email in its original (Italian) form.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
AlexKN

Post by AlexKN »

Here's the email response. The email on top (in red) is the response my mother got, and the email below it (in blue) is the email my mother had originally sent. It took her 13 days to get the original response, and it has been over 2 months since then.

To: Dr. Incardona

Per competenza.
Cordiali saluti

Il Dirigente dell'Ufficio Espropriazioni
D.ssa Patrizia Amato

Date: 8 agosto 2018 12:26
A: Patrizia Amato

Mi chiamo [Mom's name]. Sto facendo una ricerca sui miei antenati e ho bisogno delle informazioni dai vostri registri. I miei antenati provennero da Palermo (Brancaccio.) Ho fatto tutta la ricerca che posso fare online.

Il nome della mia bisnonna era Giuseppa (Giuseppina) [surname] (figlia di Ignazio [surname] e Provvidenza [surname].) Vorrei una copia del suo certificato di matrimonio. Era sposata prima del 1910. Con queste informazioni, potrò continuare la mia ricerca.

Ti ringrazio in anticipo per il tuo aiuto.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

There is a post on my blog explaining why you don't get a response from a town office you might find helpful.
I don't think you are going to get a reply from Palermo. YOu didn't post the other response.
This person is the Director of the office of expropriation NOT the Stato Civile. Try this email: certanagrafichestoriche@cert.comune.palermo.it
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
AlexKN

Post by AlexKN »

We had emailed Patrizia before (for a different request) and gotten a response (via forwarding to a different person). This is, however, the entire conversation between my mother and the person in Palermo. We will probably try what you have suggested.