Joni wrote: 22 Sep 2004, 04:17
This is the first post I am attempting. If your family is from Piana dei Greci in the Palermo province, it is now called Piana degli Albanesi. I have been there several times and it is a wonderful comune, I have a great deal of information on the families that came from there, many came to New Orleans, some to Wisconsin and to California, there is a large group of us in Sacramento California who are researching the entire comune and may be able to help you.... Perhaps your family left from a port in Naples but were actually from Piana, that is not too uncommon.
I know this is a long shot as this is a very old post at this point, but..... My family, last name Shiro, came from here as well and immigrated to New Orleans. I would LOVE more information if you had it!
Nowadays, very few Italian actors are able to emerge on the world cinema scene. Until a few decades ago it was different, but we talk about the age of the young Cinecittà, where it was not unusual to meet world-famous directors who set their stories which became known all over the world in those stu...