My DNA Journey

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
chiddicks
Rookie
Rookie

My DNA Journey

Post by chiddicks »

Over the next few weeks I hope to post a regular blog on my personal DNA experience from a complete novice perspective. From choosing the test, the test itself, the results and what to do next.

Hopefully if you new like me this might help you with choices, interpreting your results and ultimately what to do with them.
chiddicks
Rookie
Rookie

Re: My DNA Journey

Post by chiddicks »

chiddicks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chiddicks »

chiddicks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chiddicks »

chiddicks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chiddicks »

My DNA Results are in! Could I be anymore British!!

https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.c ... ts-are-in/
brogie62
Elite
Elite

Post by brogie62 »

The low Italian % is to be expected. From you previous posts on the Stampa family it looks like you are probably only about 3% Italian.
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
chiddicks
Rookie
Rookie

Post by chiddicks »

thanks brogie, the ethnicity estimates are exactly that, just a fair based estimate and will vary from each company that you test with.
sarmuveera

Post by sarmuveera »

Just curious if someone with more experience than me could help me interpret my DNA results. I have completed my family tree 7 generations from me (actually 15 in one lineage) and haven't found any non-Italian ancestors yet. My father got Europe South 61% (Northern and Southern Italy), Great Britain 16%, and Caucasus 6%, while my mother got Europe South 68% (Southern Italy), Middle East 13%, and Caucasus 9%. I read that Southern Italy had a good bit of admixture of genes due to invasions, migration, etc. I may continue to work on my tree to try to see if I can find my ancestors that originated outside of Italy if possible. Any other insights or inferences?
flyer templates for word
brogie62
Elite
Elite

Post by brogie62 »

sarmuveera wrote: 14 Dec 2018, 10:48 Just curious if someone with more experience than me could help me interpret my DNA results. I have completed my family tree 7 generations from me (actually 15 in one lineage) and haven't found any non-Italian ancestors yet. My father got Europe South 61% (Northern and Southern Italy), Great Britain 16%, and Caucasus 6%, while my mother got Europe South 68% (Southern Italy), Middle East 13%, and Caucasus 9%. I read that Southern Italy had a good bit of admixture of genes due to invasions, migration, etc. I may continue to work on my tree to try to see if I can find my ancestors that originated outside of Italy if possible. Any other insights or inferences?
flyer templates for word

Also remember that DNA ethnicity estimates are just that: estimates. If you have documented ancestry, that wins out. Your mother's admixture looks normal for a southern Italian. Not that familiar with the north though.
Places: Jaci, Palazzolo Acreide, Pedara, Trecastagni
Names: Fisichella, Gangemi, Miano, Moscuzza, Smriglio, Torrisi, Valvo
DjD4u

Post by DjD4u »

Hello,

I recently had a genealogy test done as well, and it said that I may have found a long lost half brother. The only problem was is that it was not absolutely conclusive.

I call this company PaternityUSA, and bought their sibling DNA test for $135. It was able to conclusively with a percentage of 99.45% that Rob is my brother.

I highly recommend you having your genealogy test results confirmed or denied at PaternityUSA.... You can also buy the sibling DNA test I bought.

They also had another test that I could have used because we are both males. It was called the YSTR Male Lineage DNA Test, but in my case it would not work because her alleged father was also in the same male line.

GOOD LUCK!!
DjD4u

Post by DjD4u »

Hello,

I recently had a genealogy test done as well, and it said that I may have found a long lost half brother. The only problem was is that it was not absolutely conclusive.

I call this company PaternityUSA, and bought their sibling DNA test for $128. It was able to conclusively with a percentage of 99.45% that Rob is my brother.

I highly recommend you having your genealogy test results confirmed or denied at PaternityUSA.... You can also go the PaternityUSA web-site, and buy the sibling DNA test I bought.

Furthermore, they also had another test that I could have used because we are both males. It was called the Y-STR DNA Test, and you can also find it at the PaternityUSA web-site, but in my case it would not work because her alleged father was also in the same male line.

GOOD LUCK!!