Acquiring certified copies for great grandparents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
PippaCouch

Acquiring certified copies for great grandparents

Post by PippaCouch »

Hello

I have discovered that I am eligible for Italians citizenship and now I have embarked on obtaining the relevant certified copies of various birth death marriage certificates. I have however come across a stumbling block. Some us States will only release certificates to immediate family members (son/sibling/grandparent). I however need to obtain the certified copy of my great grandparents certificates and am unsure whether I will be able to do so.

Does anyone know if it is possible for the purposes of dual citizenship do they make exceptions if I am able to provide evidence if my relationship to said family member?

Any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks

Pippa
TBellocchi

Re: Acquiring certified copies for great grandparents

Post by TBellocchi »

I am finding that some states will release them if it’s beyond 100 years of the birth. Others they won’t release them at all unless it’s the person who is named or legal parent or guardian. In these events you have to contact the court clerk. I’m still working my way through this process, however, you have to petition the courts to create a judgment allowing the county to release the records you are needing. Also of note, for example NY, they are requiring me to contact my grandfathers last wife who has no interest in talking to the family after his passing. I’m waiting to hear to back on how to proceed when the widow won’t respond and also whether or not all the items on the different family members can be done under one petition or if they have to be individual petitions. I’ll reply when I find out.
Interested in surnames Bellocchi & Ranallett
PippaCouch

Post by PippaCouch »

Thanks that's really helpful so please share your findings. I am a little stuck as I am not even sure how to contact the court to ask the relevant questions. I am from UK so u familiar with US systems etc. Where can i find out who to get in touch with the get more info?

I need to get info from Pennsylvania, Florida and Maryland - were any of those the states that were more flexible in releasing records?
TBellocchi

Post by TBellocchi »

Everything will most likely be by county. So if you know the towns they were established in during birth and death, inside those states, you will find out what county the town is in. You then reach out to the vital records office and find out what their requirements are. From there you may need to reach out to the county court clerk in that county if petitioning is required.
Interested in surnames Bellocchi & Ranallett
Spera219
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Spera219 »

In Pennsylvania birth and death records after 1906 are centralized with the State. https://www.health.pa.gov/topics/certif ... cords.aspx

I'm heading to one of the offices next week to order a bunch of my records and one is a death certificate for my great grandfather. I will let you know how it goes.
Spera219
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Spera219 »

No problem ordering a death cert for dual citizenship through PA vital records. I also asked about ordering a birth certificate and they said as long as you have all the correct information to locate the record it shouldn't be an issue.

I could have picked up the birth certs tomorrow or have them mailed. Since they only mail death certificates, i'm going to wait the 7-10 days to receive all in the mail.

Hope this helps.
PippaCouch

Post by PippaCouch »

Super really helpful

Thanks very much
java4me9

Post by java4me9 »

i have had good luck with florida and pennyslvania. my road block was New Jersey..still trying to get my GP marriage certificate ...otherwise PA super easy. Florida was good too.

good luck
Spera219
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Spera219 »

I had no problem with getting a NJ birth and marriage cert for my wife. What year did they get married?

On my wife's GPs certificate it was indexed incorrectly so it took a long time to find. But luckily the information on the certificate was correct.
kichijitsu

Post by kichijitsu »

I am also attempting to acquire certified copies of vital records for my great-grandparents in New York State. This website should be helpful:

https://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records ... enship.htm

I've been corresponding with the town clerks in the village where my great-grandparents lived, and I've been passed up the chain to the NYS Department of Health (still working on it).

Good luck!
java4me9

Post by java4me9 »

Hi thank you...I landed up taking a chance and guessing camden and lord behold it was correct...i actually cried when she handed the marriage cert to me i could not believe it

thanks for responding
Spera219
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Spera219 »

Congrats!