Traveling to Italy Questions

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Traveling to Italy Questions

Post by poliquie »

I am traveling to Italy for the first time in May. I will be flying into Milan and then heading first to Torre Del Greco, and then to Rome before flying home.

My question is regarding travel in the country. I was planning to utilize public transit (although so far the website for tickets are confusing me!) But i have concerns over my time in Torre del Greco. It is located just south of Naples, and I have been fore warned that Naples is not really a safe town for a woman alone...

It appears that in order to take the train from Milan to Torre Del Greco, and from Torre del Greco to Rome, I must first go through Naples. Can anyone tell me if this is the only way? Is there any other options besides renting a car to drive myself?

I am certainly not afraid of cities, but I want to be wise and not put myself in potential danger. Any advice, help would be greatly appreciated. Also any clear directions for purchasing train tickets ahead of time would also be appreciated...

BTW, if there is anyone on the board that lives in Rome, near Torre del Greco, Sorrento, or Pompeii, and would like to meet for a visit, please let me know! :D
lcmor
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Traveling to Italy Questions

Post by lcmor »

Hi there!

I think that Naples just like any city comes with risk factors, but I think walking around in broad daylight in Naples is a safe as walking around in broad day light in any city. I don't believe you are at any kind of risk at all. The people of Naples are amongst the friendliest, funnest and most generous in Italy. And although it has a gritty edge to it, you can rest assured that look of the place does not reflect the true and wonderful heart of the city and its people.

I hope you have a spectacular time in Italy. It's an amazing country filled with amazing people!

Buon viaggio!

PS Going by bus is cheaper and often quicker in Italy. I would definitely check out the buses. Most sights are bilingual now, so look for the british/american flag on the site to translate it to English. Best of luck!
FROM ABRUZZO WITH LOVE genealogy services
http://www.abruzzowithlove.com
Find us on...
Facebook: /abruzzowithlove
Twitter: @abruzzowithlove
Instagram: abruzzowithlove
lcmor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lcmor »

Cute little video about Naples: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRUxcZ_K1eU
FROM ABRUZZO WITH LOVE genealogy services
http://www.abruzzowithlove.com
Find us on...
Facebook: /abruzzowithlove
Twitter: @abruzzowithlove
Instagram: abruzzowithlove
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I agree with lcmor. Just don't go round alone at night in lonely areas. :-)
I'm from a town not far from Naples. When I was young, I had a lot of prejudice against Naples. I can say I got to know it when I was 40, and now I know I lost a lot
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
poliquie
Veteran
Veteran

Post by poliquie »

Thanks so much for the info, and the cute video! It has helped to ease my mind. Having grown up in NY, I understand the bad rap that certain cities get,and how people can view things unrealistically. I guess I will just avoid hanging out at night in areas that are not populated.

Icmor, you mentioned the bus website... Where do I look for them? Is it a certain line of buses?

Pippo, thanks for all your help.... I have really appreciated it! What town did you grow up in?
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

My family is from Pagani, province of Salerno, but just 35/40 km from Naples.
I lived there 12 years when I was young.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.