Mandarino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Mandarino

Post by mandarino »

I am searching for the name Mandarino in the regions of Basilicata or Calabria.

Some names that I have are Valentino Mandarino and Gennaro Mandarino (my great-great-grandfather and my great-great-great grandfather) Gennaro was married to Anna Chiarelli.

I am trying to locate Valentino's city of birth, but any information on the surname would be helpful.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Mandarino

Post by jcsm400 »

Please provide info on birth years and were they settled in the US, their children names & birth years. Any & all info is helpful to find information on them.

What records have you obtained? Town of origin maybe on death certificate, military records, ship manifest, social security application, naturalization papers.

Let us know.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

Valentino Mandarino was born on May 7, 1844 and emigrated to Uruguay on an unknown date...but I know it must've been sometime in the 1870's, because his son was born in Uruguay in 1884.

From my research, I've concluded that he must've departed from the port of Naples and reached Uruguay via Brazil (Sao Paolo).

What I am trying to find is some sort of Passenger Record that may give me a clue as to what city he may have been born in. His marriage record states that he is from Basilicata, but I have no idea what city in that province...help?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

mandarino,

You may find arrival in Brazil on this database

http://www.italians-world.org/Italy/BancaDatiGb.htm

or this one

http://www.memorialdoimigrante.sp.gov.br/

but if not.......................
I think I would talk to the volunteer members of your local LDS (Mormans) Family History Center. They have research guides for different counties which provide info on what records are available and where the information can be found.

Link to local your nearest FHC

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Maybe another member will have a better suggestion.

Hope this helps some.

jcsm :)
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

This is a link to a distribution map for the surname MANDARINO in Italy.

http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera.html
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mandarino wrote:I am searching for the name Mandarino in the regions of Basilicata or Calabria.

Some names that I have are Valentino Mandarino and Gennaro Mandarino (my great-great-grandfather and my great-great-great grandfather) Gennaro was married to Anna Chiarelli.

I am trying to locate Valentino's city of birth, but any information on the surname would be helpful.
Hi Teresita, again you no found?

Teresita search the ancestors from oct 2004, so I know, when I receveid a email from a my friend, praying of to help Teresita with Mandarino search... and all that I can make I made, but the data are incorrects or incomplete, on marriage act are wrote Basilicata birthplace, and Basilicata is a region, with many commons, so where... ??'
good luck, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

jcsm400 wrote:mandarino,

You may find arrival in Brazil on this database

http://www.italians-world.org/Italy/BancaDatiGb.htm

or this one

http://www.memorialdoimigrante.sp.gov.br/

but if not.......................
I think I would talk to the volunteer members of your local LDS (Mormans) Family History Center. They have research guides for different counties which provide info on what records are available and where the information can be found.

Link to local your nearest FHC

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

Maybe another member will have a better suggestion.

Hope this helps some.

jcsm :)
8O WOW! I've been searching for a site like this one for Sao Paolo! You are good. Well, I did not find my ancestor on it, but it's a great resource! Thanks so much for the help! :P
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

Do you know where I could find another site like that one for Rio De Janeiro? :?
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

suanj wrote:
mandarino wrote:I am searching for the name Mandarino in the regions of Basilicata or Calabria.

Hi Teresita, again you no found?

Teresita search the ancestors from oct 2004, so I know, when I receveid a email from a my friend, praying of to help Teresita with Mandarino search... and all that I can make I made, but the data are incorrects or incomplete, on marraige act are wrote Basilicata birthplace, and Basilicata is a region, with many commons, so where... ??'
good luck, suanj
Teresita is my father's cousin...he is the one who gave her all the records. My father has been researching for decades and yes, Valentino's marriage record says only "Basilicata", and does not say the city or common - which is why I'm a bit stuck!
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Sorry you could find your ancestor on the site provided.

Haven't found any site for Rio de Janeiro, but here is link to research guide for Brazil. May help in locating where you can get the information.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... azil11.asp

Hope it helps.

jcsm
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

How could I find the passenger lists for these ships? Any clues?

4/16/1876 Orenoque

5/25/1876 Poitou

8/5/1876 Doiton

10/6/1876 La France

1/7/1877 La France

8/20/1894 Colombo

(They all sail from Napolis to Rio De Janeiro)
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

jcsm400 wrote:Sorry you could find your ancestor on the site provided.

Haven't found any site for Rio de Janeiro, but here is link to research guide for Brazil. May help in locating where you can get the information.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... azil11.asp

Hope it helps.

jcsm
Thanks for the advice, I've already ordered a million microfisches from there in the past. The problem is, I don't know where to start, so I always end up overwhelmed. Where should I start?
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

mandarino wrote:How could I find the passenger lists for these ships? Any clues?

4/16/1876 Orenoque

5/25/1876 Poitou

8/5/1876 Doiton

10/6/1876 La France

1/7/1877 La France

8/20/1894 Colombo

(They all sail from Napolis to Rio De Janeiro)
The Brazil research guide that I provided a link to should have information on where you can find these manifests. If not, I can only suggest trying the Brazilian National Archives or the Italian embassy in Rio de Janeiro.

Do you know where and when they died? Do you have their death records?
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

The Brazil research guide that I provided a link to should have information on where you can find these manifests. If not, I can only suggest trying the Brazilian National Archives or the Italian embassy in Rio de Janeiro.

Do you know where and when they died? Do you have their death records?
Acctually, yes. I have his death record - he died 24 September 1916 in Uruguay. His death and marriage records only say Basilicata - no town or commune. :(
mandarino
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mandarino »

So does anybody have any idea where I could maybe find records of those ships? I've looked in familysearch.org but I have no idea how to find them!
Searching for Mandarino from the area of Basilicata, Italy. ♥