Chicago Consulate delays?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Gialimina

Chicago Consulate delays?

Post by Gialimina »

First, let me say I am new here, and just found this website, which i believe is very nice. I spoke with the Chicago Consulate today (May 10), with a woman in the Stato Civile office. I asked her when the citizenship applications would resume being processed. She told me that the Consular will be busy with the "elezione residenza" till the end of June. I told her that I thought the citizenship process would continue after the general election and perhaps the one for Presidente, and she said no.

However, she did tell me to "confirm" what she said with the citizenship office. I attempted to call two different numbers to get through, but the phone just rang, and no answer. I will be trying again tomorrow and afterwards, until I reach someone. But, she did sound like she was confident in what she said, which just saddens me to think I will have to wait at least another month and a half, and then some.

Does anyone else have better luck with this Consulate, or know exactly when they will resume the process?
mler
Master
Master

Re: Chicago Consulate delays?

Post by mler »

From what I've been reading on other sites, the Chicago consulate is in a "holding pattern." Try not to let this upset you. It WILL all come together, and realistically, a few months more or less will not be that big a deal.
Gialimina

Post by Gialimina »

Mler, thank you for the reply. What do you mean by "holding pattern"? for what reason? for how long? are other consulates in a holding pattern?

Could you answer these questions please?
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Also, the offices are swamped with request for dual citizenship, I believe another member posted that Chicago has like 80,000...?????.....applications.......!!!!!
wldspirit
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

As wldspirit noted, Chicago seems to be inundated with applications, and they can't handle all of them at this point. They are also busy with other consular activities. This means the application process will move more slowly, and everyone will have to wait a bit longer.

I think the information you received regarding the end of June is probably correct; but realistically you must prepare for a long wait before the process is complete. I anticipate one-two years after submitting paperwork before being granted citizenship. This way if I get a response sooner, it will be a happy surprise. Some consulates may move more quickly than others, but the large cities are particularly overwhelmed.
Gialimina

Post by Gialimina »

mler, excuse me, but i asked you to confirm what you meant by "holding pattern". a holding pattern infers that the citizenship process is "on hold", and at a standstill. but, you said maybe moving more slowly, which is totally different. I understand the concept of taking more time for the process, but others on other forums are saying they are receiving confirmation of citizenship, along with Visas, and other consular services.

Is the Chicago consulate at a holding pattern, as you said before, or moving more slowly. Could you please clarify which it is?

Incidently, I started my process in August 2003, and submitted my documents to the consulte in May 2004, and was told 6 months.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I was simply making an analogy to an airplane, which flies around in circles before it lands. :D They are moving slowly; I doubt the process has stopped.

That being said, two years is an exceptionally long time. You may want to check with the commune directly to be sure the papers were sent.
Gialimina

Post by Gialimina »

It is just frustrating. when i was told 6 months in May 2004, i thought Great!. Then, nothing happened, and I called December 2004, and was told it would take just a "bit" longer since they had more applications. Then, I tryed the consulate again in February 2005, thinking I will give them more time to get past the Holidays, and got no answer to emails and no answer by telephone. Then I waited till the last week of August, 2005, and I was told there was a new consular official and the process would be delayed 3-4 months. Even that i understood to a point. But then, I called again in Feb, 2006, and was told everything was put on hold for the general elections of April, but "promised" it would be soon. I saw no reason not to process my application between August 2005 and Feb 2006, especially since he promised me, and before that.

I have to ask you though. You said to contact the comune? wouldn`t i have received a "letter of recognition" if my documents were sent to Italy?

I am not a person who is impatient, but i feel that something could have been done sooner.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

After two years you have a right to be impatient. May I suggest you contact the people at myitaliancitizenship.com. For a small fee ($42 I think) they sent for my grandfather's birth certificate. They will probably be able to check with the commune to see if the papers are there or if the process is stalled elsewhere (like Chicago). Sometimes the communes are slow to respond as well, so it's a good idea to find out where your papers are now.
SamW

Post by SamW »

I am in contact with the Consulate in San Francisco, for the west coast states. I emailed them in Jan 06 to get an appointment to submit the required documents for dual citizenship. The next opening was Dec 06!

I was told that after the appointment it will take 2 to 2.5 years for it to be approved. Since I do not live in CA I can mail in the application.

Mler: Please let me know what you are referring to when you say to contact the commune? I have already recieved the ceritifcate from Italy, births and marriage of my grandparents. Is there something else that take place during the review?

Is there anyone else applying to San Franciso, I would be interested in hearing how you are doing.

Thanks,
Sam
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Once the papers are submitted to the consulate, they are sent to the commune of your ancestor's birth for processing. I've heard that at times the commune completes the processing and either the information does not get back to the consulate or the consulate somehow ignores, misplaces, misfiles it. If you can confirm your papers have been received and processed by the commune, this can be brought to the consulate and you can apply for a passport.

I do not have personal experience with this, but I've read postings of others to whom this has happened.