Dual Citizenship when Father lost his Italian Citizenship.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Ripper_G

Dual Citizenship when Father lost his Italian Citizenship.

Post by Ripper_G »

Hello I was born in the US in 1968
My father was born in Italy in 1937.
He moved to the US in 1952
He got married in 1962 (at which time he gave up his italian citizenship before I was born)

He is now 70 and has no intention returning to italy.

My grandparents were both born in italy and kept their italian citizenship until they passed away.

Is there anyway that I can obtain my Italain Citizenship?
JSaccaro
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Dual Citizenship when Father lost his Italian Citizenshi

Post by JSaccaro »

Hi Ripper_G,

From what you say, I would guess you would not be qualified because your father became a citizen before you were born. If he were naturalized after your birth you may have qualified.
You can also go to this website for qualification guidelines:

http://www.myitaliancitizenship.com/ind ... cation.htm

Hope that helps!

Julie
mler
Master
Master

Re: Dual Citizenship when Father lost his Italian Citizenshi

Post by mler »

You can, of course, still qualify as a descendent of an Italian. However, this is a more difficult process in that you must legally reside in Italy for three years.

However, Julies is correct in that you do not qualify jure sanguinis through your father because he became a citizen before you were born. You cannot skip a generation and look to your grandparents. Is there any way you might qualify through your mother? Remember, that she need not have been born in Italy. It is possible that she inherited citizenship through her parents.