Picozzi family ancestry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie

Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Dalogi »

I have recently become very interested in tracking down my Italian
ancestry, but I am needing a little help.

My ancestor's name is Carlo Picozzi and according to ancestry.com he
was an Italian immigrant who was born in approximately 1845 and married
a woman named Emma Jarvoice in 1875 in England. They had several
children, one being Kate (my great-great grandma). She had lots of brothers and sisters including Alexander, Romolo, Eva, Lily and Harry.

I am trying to find out when he originally arrived in England and from
which part of Italy he came from. I've searched various sources on the
internet and I can't seem to find any other records for him. There is a
Camillo Picozzi listed in one Italian source who was born around 1853
in Capistrello, Abruzzo. I thought maybe this was his original name and
he changed it to Carlo to sound more English, but it may be someone
completely different.

If anyone has any information about the Picozzi family and their roots,
I would be extremely grateful. Also, if anyone can point me in the
right direction, that too would be a great help.

Thank you very much for your help.

David
:?:
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by wldspirit »

Not familiar with Uk research sources, however have you tried either of these two sites.......

http://www.anglo-italianfhs.org.uk/

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/searchthearchives/

wldspirit

*also, here in the US, Camillo was often changed to Charles, not a far stretch from Camillo to Carl.....
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dalogi »

Thanks very much for your reply to my post. Unfortunately, I have tried those two links and not had much luck. Thanks also for the information about Camillo being changed to Charles. I didn't know that, so it may prove to be very useful.

In the meantime, if you come across anything else, please let me know.

Thanks
David
:wink:
Incipit
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Incipit »

Hi,
See Picozzi actual diffusion here:
http://gens.labo.net/it/cognomi/genera. ... nomi&s==FF

Regards
Tommaso
Incipit
Genealogical researches in Italy
www.incipitprato.com
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

David

Your ancestor is listed under PRIOZZI on the 1881 census. The record is

Dwelling: 7 Dukes Court
Census Place: St Martin In Fields, London, Middlesex, England
Source: FHL Film 1341071 PRO Ref RG11 Piece 0329 Folio 93 Page 42
Marr Age Sex Birthplace
Carlo PRIOZZI M 35 M Italy
Rel: Head
Occ: Waiter
Emma PRIOZZI M 25 F Surrey, England
Rel: Wife
Alexander C. PRIOZZI 5 M Surrey, England
Rel: Son
Occ: Scholar
Katty PRIOZZI 3 F Middlesex, England
Rel: Daur
Occ: Scholar
Ede PRIOZZI 1 F Surrey, England
Rel: Daur

There is also what looks like a will listed at the National Archives for a Romol Giuseppe Picozzi at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/cata ... tails=True

Hope its useful! I'll see what else I can find. :D

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dalogi »

WOW! That is strange. Thanks for the information, Marisa. I had no idea his name was down as Priozzi. On the 'ancestry.com' records it uses Picozzi. He must have changed his surname. Does that make sense?

How could I go about finding where he was from in Italy? I have no idea what town or province he was from.

Anyway, thanks once again, Marisa, and all of you taking part in my post. You've all been very helpful. :wink:

David
:D
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi David

Carlo won't have changed his name - it will either be an enumerator or indexing error. In scrawly Victorian handwriting Priozzi and Picozzi would look quite similar, and some poor indexer - cross-eyed from looking at entries - has probably got it confused.

There was a Picozzi family living in Scotland at the turn of the century. The first names are different to yours. However, if Picozzi is an unusual surname, and others here will know if that is the case, then the village where the families came from could be the same, or maybe close by. You will find two birthcertificates of Picozzis in Scotland at http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/ - or I can pull them out if you like. In Scotland, certificates neurotically list every salient detail, and if the parents married in Italy, the the village will be listed on the certificate. That might at least give you a clue about where your family came from. On the other hand - if they married in Scotland you will be none the wiser. :? It might be worth a try!

Marisa
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dalogi »

Hi Marisa,

Thanks for all your findings. I'm new to this, but have already learned a great deal. If you could find out about the 2 people in Scotland, that would be great. Any info on the Picozzi family would help me piece together my ancestry a little more.

Thanks, once again.

David
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Arrgh - most irritating. The birth certs of the two Picozzi children in Scotland just say 'Italy'. Sorry! Usually they would list the town. Back to the drawing board!

Marisa
Dalogi
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Dalogi »

Ha ha! Typical. Thanks for trying though, Marisa.

Do you know of a way of searching Italian records on a nationwide scale, instead of having to search individual comune records?
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Not possible I'm afraid. :roll: You just have to take a guess at the most likely comunes, order up the Mormon microfilms or write to the towns. If you don't find what you are looking for then you have to move on to the next town. Italy is actually missing a huge opportunity for genealogical tourism by not making an effort to centralise data.

There are other people on the forum who can advise you far better than I can on research in Italy. I really only know about Scotland.

Happy Hunting

Marisa :D
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Marisa is right, Italy does not have a national archive, in order to research family the town of origin must be identified......by pulling all available records on the person of interest, you will hopefully locate the name of the comune.

As you can see by the link provided by Incipit, the name Picozzi is spread out thru 201 comuni, I would have to say the name is rather common.
wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

hmmm abt a first name in Picozzi family.. well this let me understand that carlo coming from near Lazio region area... malogi you say: Romolo..., this first name is most used in lazio region ( especially) area... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

you say:
"Also, if anyone reading this has any information on a man called
'Tomasso Picozzi' living in Maddaloni, Caserta and married in 1840, I
would like to hear from them. He may link in somewhere within my
ancestry. If anyone knows his children's names I would be very
grateful. "
http://groups.google.com/group/soc.gene ... c0840646c6

TOMMASO PICOZZI
Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth: Maddaloni

Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents:
Father: ANTONIO PICOZZI Family
Mother: MADDALENA FACENDINO

Marriages:
Spouse: ANNA DI LUCCA Family
Marriage: 15 OCT 1840 Caserta, Caserta, Italy

Husband Age at Marriage: 24
Wife Age at Marriage: 19

---------------------
this is the Tommaso that you search? suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Marisa6
Elite
Elite

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi David

This is not going to be straighforward :( As Wildspirit has pointed out - the name seems to be quite diffused. Suanj thinks the name may be from Lazio, and that would make sense given the dates involved. Again - I can't really comment on the English experience - only the Scottish one, but your ancestor looks as though he has come across in one of the first mass waves of migration. Before the 1860s and 70s, most Italian immigrants to Britain were skilled craftsmen. Carlo's occupation is given as 'waiter' on the 1881 census - so he doesn't fall into this category. The dates of birth for his children show that he was consistantly resident in England from the mid 1870s. If he was from the area of Lazio, that ties in quite neatly with a time of great political unrest in the region when Garibaldi and the church were slugging it out for control of the area around Rome. My earliest ancestors into Britain were what you might call 'political exiles' having fought on the wrong side!!! They also appear in the mid 1870s. Of course - poverty was another strong factor pushing people from their homes.

I think if I was you I would try to get hold of a copy of Romolo Giuseppe Picozzi's will from the National Archive. The way inheritance laws in Italy worked might mean that he had small pieces of land in Italy to leave to others. If that is the case, and they are listed in his will - then you will find out where they are - and so where he is from. Fingers crossed!!

Marisa