Di Geronimo & Quatrale Families from Lacedonia, AV, Camp

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Di Geronimo & Quatrale Families from Lacedonia, AV, Camp

Post by Nunsiata »

Hi Friends!
The Valenti's have exhausted me, and so I decided to take a trip to Campagna and dig a little deeper into my father's family. We know that my Grandfather came from there and that my Great-Grandfather had spent some time in my hometown, before returning to Italy to marry and have a family. The story goes that he was married before (I don't know if it was in NJ or before he left Italy) and his wife and baby died in childbirth. That's why he returned home, to find a heartier Italian girl, but his new wife refused to go to the USA - even though she promised she would - and he never returned.
For some reason, I cannot find my Grandfather's immigration to the USA, or the original trip made by his father, Angelo. I think that's Angelo returning after what seems like a visit, in 1898, but can't find him on Castle Garden or Ellis before that. He also had a woman with him on that voyage who has the same last name as he. I wonder if that's the first wife? Anyone have any suggestions for me?
I am also interested in my paternal Great-Grandmother, Grazia Quatrale's family, of which I know little. In America the family is known as Quadrel and I found many people with this name heading to my hometown of Montclair, NJ all through the 1800's - long before my Grandfather's cousin called him over. My Grandfather was sixteen and came in 1924, before he could be drafted into the military. Where is the Quatrale name originally found (Suanj?) or is it native to Lacedonia?
If anyone can find my Grandfather, or his father's, first entry to the USA - I would appreciate it! I would also like to see his 1930 census entry, if possible - his info is Michael Di Geronimo, Montclair, NJ and I believe he lived on Elm Street.
Thanks so much!
N
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Di Geronimo & Quatrale Families from Lacedonia, AV,

Post by jcsm400 »

Found a Michael DiGeronimo in Newark, NJ born abt 1871 Italy.

Can you provide Michael's brith year and other family members?
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Nunsiata,

Is this him?

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/2902/imagex1hw.gif

You didn't mention what is wife's name was.. :?

Nuccia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

joyce,

Looks like we posted at the same time again! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ancestry and imageshack is running slow tonight. Bad weather here.

Sorry...

Nuccia
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

Hi Girls!
Michael was born in 1907 and in 1930 he was single and living in Montclair, NJ. He didn't marry until 1934.
Love you guys!
N
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

If you don't mind I'll tell you a story about this Grandfather and how he came to America.
When his father Angelo went home to find a wife, he had only one objective: to go back to his home in America. He was very upfront with his potential mates: They had to go back with him. But, after he married Grazia, she stubbornly refused to leave. He tried to have the marriage annulled, all the while searching for his US passport. He had become a citizen before he left for Italy. He never found his citizenship papers or his passport and was doomed to a life in Italy, never again to see his home. No one even believed he was a citizen. As his three sons grew, he spoke to them about going to America and fulfilling their father's dream. The oldest scoffed and went to do his military service, but as my Grandfather reached his sixteenth year, his father determined he would go. Finally worn down by her husband's bitterness, Grazia arranged for Michele to go to her sister's son in Montclair and work in his grocery store.
The father died sometime in the 1940's and when his wife followed in the 1950's - the family found their father's documents sewn into the hem of her Sunday dress. My Grandfather was the only one of his five siblings to set foot in the US.
Not believing his father was really a citizen, Michael went to apply for naturalization sometime in the 1940's - and was told that he had been a citizen all along!
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

What a sad story! I've heard of things like this happening though. Look what happened to Wayne and Gertrude (another thread you've probably read by now).

Well I found Micheal in the death index but nothing in the census so far...although I really haven't spent a lot of time looking (I have a presentation due for work tomorrow which needs to be completed). I'll check later if someone hasn't posted it and will follow up.

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Long shot, and still looking.......but I found this record using search criteria of Michael, birth place Italy, birthdate 1907, +/- one year and came up with this:

1930 United States Federal Census Record
about Michael Degennaro
Name: Michael Degennaro
Estimated birth year: abt 1908
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Boarder
Race: White
Home in 1930: Hoboken, Hudson, New Jersey

wldspirit
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Another possibility.......and I have seen this a time or two....perhaps Michael is listed as a son of the Quatrale/Quadrel family.....????
wldspirit
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Link to the 1930 census that was provided by wldspirit.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/2415 ... 9301yy.jpg

Looks like he immigrated in 1928? Alien - next column ? (pending??)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

Thank you all for your efforts. Much appreciated!
Unfortunately, that's not my grandpa - although I do agree that his name must be mis-spelled somewhere.
Lisa, I had thought about him living with the Quadrels. My information from my grandmother - recently deceased - is that he lived in an apartment, maybe with a roommate, because he had to leave the Quadrel's house (they lived on Christopher Street in Montclair.) It seemed the Quadrel boys - there were six of them - used to torture him. They stole his bike, buried his clothes in the backyard, and called him "greenhorn" - as if they themselves weren't born in Italy! I just don't know how long he lived there or when he saved enough to leave.
I do know that he went to Ellis Island, was picked up there by his cousin and taken to Montclair - where he lived until he died in 1973.
Thanks again for all the work, you guys!
Now I'm going to read about Jan, Gertrude & Wayne! I've got my tissues handy!
shroud97

Post by shroud97 »

This probably has no relevance to your family, but I guess there's a possibility that it does: My great-grandfather, Vincenzo (he went by 'James' in the Census records), who was also from Lacedonia, had two borders living in his house in Montclair in 1910, Michael Pignatiello and Donato Quatrale. Donato is listed as Vincenzo's cousin. I haven't been able to find a connection to the Quatrale's through either of his parent's families, though I don't yet have much information on his mother's family, the Monacos.
I wonder how our DiGeronimo's are related? I've been looking through the Lacedonia records for a little while, so I have a few DiGeronimo families in my records, and I have about five Michele's, but none born after 1842. Hope this helps somehow!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Nunsiata,......how are you making out with this search? Any new leads?
wldspirit
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

Hi, Lisa - No, nothing has materialized since last we spoke. I am still going to persevere and will post when I find something. Thanks for thinking of me!
To Shroud:
What street is it in Montclair? I don't know if you are from there, but a lot of people from Lacedonia - or from Avellino in general - settled in Montclair beginning in the mid-nineteenth century. There are a lot of DiGeronimos and Quadrels, but they are not necessarity related. I know a lot from my research and will be glad to help you, if you want. If you grew up in Montclair, we probably know each other! Send me a private message if you'd like to discuss.

N
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

While I know it would be a pain.... :? have you tried going thru the 1930 census page by page for Montclair? You can use the following site to locate the Ed by street name.......my Nonno's name was badly mispelled and it took some time, but I found the family this way.

http://stevemorse.org/census/index.html

wldspirit