Antonio De Lena - any info

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Antonio De Lena - any info

Post by stfrancis »

Hi everyone.

I have been searching for any information on Antonio DeLena, or DiLena...(often mispelled, DeLina, etc.).

The newspaper articles in Montreal say he was 36 yrs old (born about 1879), in Italy. I believe he remained unmarried. He maybe came from Afragola, or Naples, but that is mostly based on the fact the name DiLena was/is very common in Afragola. I suspect DeLena would have arrived in NY then probably crossed to Montreal/Canada soon after (???).

The first Montreal articles appear in 1914 when DeLena was accused of murdering Giuseppe Greco. DeLena was convicted and hanged in Montreal, in May, 1915.

(I found a ship manifest showing an Antonio DiLena arriving in NYC in 1910, to join his cousin Giuseppe Balsamo in the Bronx, but it is not the right person).

I checked a fair amount on Family Search, the Canada Census, Montreal City directories, and the Ellis Island site, but there does not seem to be many DiLena's... There seems to be very little, if any information available so I am hoping someone might think of something else I missed.

I found an Antonio Di Lena born in Afragola in 1878, with no marriage and no death before 1930, so I have no other way of cross validating it is the right person.

I appreciate any input.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Antonio De Lena - any info

Post by suanj »

Hi, I don't know if can help you, but don't knowing the Antonio parent's names, this record seeming very probable bu I cannot say if could be the person that you are looking for.
A Antonio V. DI LENA going in Toronto Canada, on 1909, born in Pisticci, Potenza IT( Pisticci currently is in Matera province, IT), with other Pisticci people, lefinting the wife Vincenza IANNUZZIELLO in Pisticci. Antonio was 29 old, and landed on 23 May 1907 in New York on the Repubblic ship.

Nome:
Antonio V Delena
Tipo di documento:
Manifests
Data di nascita:
circa 1880
Nazione di nascita:
Italy (Italia)
Data di arrivo:
Jan 1909 (gen 1909)
Porto di arrivo:
Black Rock, New York, USA (Stati Uniti)
Nazione di residenza:
Canada
Numero di riga:

and in effects this Antonio Vincenzo DI LENA was born in Pisticci on 15 sep 1880 #232, son of Vitorocco DI LENA 36 old farmer and of Grazia VIGGIANI

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
click to enlarge
He married in Pisticci on 1904 #80 but the marriage record is not available, just the index http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 9.jpg.html

I believe that on 1907 a son was born named Roccantonio DI LENA. But just the index onlin and I cannot confirm.
My opinion is that he could be the right person, but your suggestion is welcome!
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Antonio Di Lena

PG LINK
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=464063

Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Thank you both, adelfio and suanj but I really don't know, it's difficult because there are no other clues to base the search on.

I do not think he was in Toronto, and I'm quite sure he did not marry (at least was single in 1914-1915), based on 2 or 3 of his newspaper articles. The prison register mentions he was a laborer. He does not appear on any Census in the US nor in Canada.

I do hope to look at the court files if the archives ever open again. The files might give me more clues....

Regards
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I am pretty sure that he could be the right person. What you know is what Antonio wished say abt itself... If you read the ship'manifest, on 1909 he going inToronto as laborer just to work, so no permanently... It is possible that he moved back and forth just to work until he went in Montreal. The people moving.
You cannot make a search by newspaper's articles.. You need to find documents more affordable, like trial papers where I believe his data are on...
AntonioDiLenaisa popular name in south Italy. But by the info that you provided this my find is the more probable.

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Interesting points, thank you.

The travel documents say:

-arrived in NY in May 1907
-returns to Italy to join his wife in Jan 1907 (transits through NY, (M) married or (D) divorced)
-returns to Toronto (from Italy) in Sep 1912 (transits through NY, joining his brothers, leaving his wife in Italy

My information regarding his "single" status comes from the official prison register and the official index of death penalties in Canada.

What I do not have is the actual witness testimony and trial filings from the court, but I will let you know if I find anything :wink:
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found a public genealogic tree abt this Antonio Di Lena, with some error, obviously, but no doubts that is the same person that I found, and I don't know if he is the person that you are searching for, really. Because by the infos on the genealogic tree, a daughter of this Antonio di lena and Vincenza Iannuzziello, went in Toronto and died in Toronto. But Antonio Di Lena says died in Pisticci on 1926---

So nothing... to restart!
Regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

here your Antonio Di Lena naturalization residing 140 Hadley st Montreal, Canada
from 3 years residing in Canada

Given Name(s):

Antonio

Surname:

DELENA

Year of Naturalization:

Country of Birth:

Italy

File Number:

Volume:

Reference:

RG 6 F3

Item Number:

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/ ... 7-00000001

Oh My GOD he was born in Palata, Campobasso near my town, I know many DI LENA of Palata.. also I have good friends in Palata.. OH what surprise!

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/ ... 7-00000004

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/ ... umber=1297&

maybe the age is no right because in Palata on 1879 no one Antonio Di Lena was born...
however he had a brother or a relative named Giuseppe...

https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/discover/ ... umber=1298&

Best regards,
suanj

I believe that also Giuseppe Greco maybe coming from same town, because it is a popular name in the area

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

now the problem is to find the right Antonio and probably Giuseppe Di Lena was his brother.. the naturalizations having same date, but Giuseppe seeming that was the first to immigrate in America...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

AntonioDeLenaBirth1878.jpg
Thank you suanj, good work anyway.

Here is the Antonio DiLena I find born in Afragola in 1878, I don't think he married (at least not in Afragola) and I do not find his death in Afragola (index ends in 1930)....maybe this his him, but I need more clues.... :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

No your ancestor was born in Palata no doubts..

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Wow, suanj, good work. Thank you. I'm embarrassed because I looked in the naturalizations but I never used the Wildcard for the name so he didnt show up!

So you think this is the right person, looks like it.

I believe Greco also from Campobasso, because in the newspaper articles it mentions Di Lena had Greco's belongings including documents form Campobasso! Multiple articles say they were best friends.

The Hadley address also makes sense because the articles said right before the murder he lived in that St Paul/Emard district.

Just a note: He is not my ancestor, but of interest because in searching my ancestors I did extensive study of the early crimes involving some Italian immigrants in Montreal.

1914,Nov,27,LeCanada,DeLena.JPG
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I am pretty sure because no doubts... the birthplace is Palata, just need to find the arrival and to descover the right age.. by naturalizations Antonio seeming born on 1879 and Giuseppe on 1882... I searched in the decade index and I no found two brothers in these birthyears, and no one Antonio on 1879

but I found a Nicolantonio son of Angelomichele and Costanza Galante born on 30 May 1878 in Palata and married
on 17 Sep 1911 in Palata to Letizia Giovanna Ionata

and a Giuseppe Di Lena born on 21 jul 1881 in Palata son also of Angelomichele and of Costanza Galante an married on 28 jan 1907 to Teresa DI LENA in Palata ( also maiden name Di Lena) and died in Palata on 19 Oct 1945, but by markings I understand that the death was filed in Palata but happened in other place, because says #5 2th part section B...

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

No doubts abt Palata,and perhaps Giuseppe Greco was a paysan also... but need to descover more just to have the right attention on the right person...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
continuo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by continuo »

The SPVM has an archive team and does allow access to information requests. You could request the relevant event report. That said, I have never used this service myself, so I am not sure what restrictions may exist or even how far their records go back.

I have to admit I don't know anything at all about prison registers in Canada. Out of curiosity, what is available and where do you find it?