Why Greece?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
researching
Elite
Elite

Why Greece?

Post by researching »

Does anybody know anything about why a few generations of my family ended up in Greece? It seems that a couple of generations (1880's to WWII) were born in Greece. Apparently they had to pay a kind of tax to Italy to keep their citizenship. During WWII, all Italians were deported and lost all of their land.

Is there a reason for this, or is it just something that happened?
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Why Greece?

Post by mmogno »

Which town of Greece?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
researching
Elite
Elite

Post by researching »

Patras
Mommypants3

Post by Mommypants3 »

That is interesting. I'm sorry I cannot help with this info, but I think it's worth noting that my father is 100% Italian. When I took an ancestry DNA test, it said I was only a small amount of Italian and mostly Greek. I have never heard an inkling of Greek ancestry in my family whatsoever. Perhaps these events are related.
Mommypants3

Post by Mommypants3 »

Thank you Tessa! These websites were very interesting.
gascot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gascot »

My grandma insisted her mother and associated aunts/uncles etc. were living or born in Greece, turns out they weren't, but her explanation was that families with certain jobs often moved to where the work was. Italy and Greece are very tightly knit with one another, they always have been, and I'd wager that it's not uncommon that people like traders, or farmers, or tailers, or smiths, etc. would often move between isles to find opportunity.

Immigration said they were born in Athens, yet their birth records were all for Zinga. Sure enough, I decided to do some Googling, and look at that. You'd pass right through Patras.
Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 11.24.59 AM.png
Seems like your family and my family had a similar plan.
Samj7401

Post by Samj7401 »

Hello All,

Hope you all are safe in difficult times. I am from UK and eager to visit Itely and Greece once everything comes to normal. In UK we have tools like https://postalcodefinder.co.uk to find postcode, the nearest station its distance and in which travel zone area is. What kind of postcode system available in Itely and Greece? is it similar to UK?
Are there any tools that could help me when I will be travelling.

Thanks in advance
saunderse12

Post by saunderse12 »

Which town of Greece?
Clementina

Post by Clementina »

You can read the history of "Corfiot Italians" via Wikipedia. My Italian great grandparents were born & married in Corfu having ethnic and linguistic ties to the Republic of Venice. Interesting read and should answer a lot of your queries.