1914 Military Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
darkerhorse
Master
Master

1914 Military Record

Post by darkerhorse »

Can someone translate what's handwritten on the far right panel of the first record, number 79, for Angelo Pitruzzello? I'm especially interested in the final sentence on the bottom, referencing "Middletown".
Attachments
Military Record.png
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Re: 1914 Military Record

Post by darkerhorse »

I don' t think they were in WWI yet.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

"Espatriato per atto di sottomissione del 10 ottobre 1913 per Middletown"
"Emigrated, as stated on act issued on oct 10th, 1913, to Middletown"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Thanks. It must be a reference to his passport.

Anything of interest handwritten above, or is it just routine?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Can someone translate the paragraph right above the final sentence?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

darkerhorse wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 18:51 Can someone translate the paragraph right above the final sentence?

I can’t quite catch all the words as it is somewhat blurry when I blow up the record, but what I understand is:

“He was enlisted in the third category, by act of submission, issued for an expat, who was the only brother of an unmarried sister, who had been orphaned of mother and father. This was in compliance with Article 63.No 6)

"arruolato in terza categoria per atto di sottomissione rilasciata per expatriore? quale unico fratello di sorella nubile orfane di padre e di madre"

(The transcription and loose translation may need tweaking.)

Angela
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

That's strange because he was an expat but his unmarried sister had several half-brothers and half-sisters in town. Their father had died in 1899 but their mother remarried in 1901 and lived in town until she died in 1930. The stepfather lived in town until he died in 1920. I wonder if someone lied, or if there was just an honest clerical error.

No one was orphaned of both parents. Also, was a child with a mother and step-father present considered orphaned?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

darkerhorse wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 21:33 That's strange because he was an expat but his unmarried sister had several half-brothers and half-sisters in town. Their father had died in 1899 but their mother remarried in 1901 and lived in town until she died in 1930. The stepfather lived in town until he died in 1920. I wonder if someone lied, or if there was just an honest clerical error.

No one was orphaned of both parents. Also, was a child with a mother and step-father present considered orphaned?

Just wait for someone else to give their interpretation and explanation.

I actually typed the translation twice, and then posted the wrong one. I intended to post the following which may make more sense: (It's not always easy to translate military records to English so that they make sense.)

“He was enlisted in the third category, as per the act submitted, for/by an expat, who was the only brother of an unmarried sister, who had been orphaned of father/mother This was in compliance with Article 63.No 6)

Angela
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

I looked for that law, it says 'orfane di padre e di madre', on the act it is not clear what is written (e or o), so if the mother was still living, the act seems not correct.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

The half-siblings were minors at that time.

I guess if he hadn't emigrated and was still living in Sicily then he would have been exempt from serving in the military.

I still wonder if someone gave false information about his remaining sister to protect him. She immigrated in 1920.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

cedrone wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 23:26 I looked for that law, it says 'orfane di padre e di madre', on the act it is not clear what is written (e or o), so if the mother was still living, the act seems not correct.

Cedrone, I've taken a closer look and I think it might be the word "or" (o) rather than "and" (e) which would then make sense, except that the act has been misquoted.

In English, the word orphan means that both parents have died.

I'm understanding that the Italian word "orfano" also means both parents have died.
However, when it says orfano/orfane di madre it is meaning "motherless" (mother has died) and when it says "orfano di padre" it means "fatherless" (father has died). Is that correct?

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 01:26
cedrone wrote: 16 Nov 2021, 23:26 I looked for that law, it says 'orfane di padre e di madre', on the act it is not clear what is written (e or o), so if the mother was still living, the act seems not correct.

Cedrone, I've taken a closer look and I think it might be the word "or" (o) rather than "and" (e) which would then make sense, except that the act has been misquoted.

In English, the word orphan means that both parents have died.

I'm understanding that the Italian word "orfano" also means both parents have died.
However, when it says orfano/orfane di madre it is meaning "motherless" (mother has died) and when it says "orfano di padre" it means "fatherless" (father has died). Is that correct?

Angela

Sorry, I was in a rush and I intended to say "except that the "law" has been misquoted/misterpreted". Just my thinking.

Angela
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

Yes, it seems the official wrote "di padre o di madre", but the law said "e" (if the text I found is correct, and "e" seems also logical).
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Well, only the father was deceased, so the law was not followed?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

darkerhorse wrote: 17 Nov 2021, 12:14 Well, only the father was deceased, so the law was not followed?
If that's the case, it's possible that the law was misread/misinterpreted,

Angela