Hi everyone, I have a question conerning the occupation and status of one of my ancestors. His name was Pasquale de Vincentiis, and on the town records, he is consistently identified as Don Pasquale, and usually his occupation is given as proprietario, which I understand.
However, in addition to this, for a long period of time, perhaps twenty years, his name is signed at the bottom of all the birth records in the village, along with the signature of the sindaco. He signs his name, and then writes something after it, which, despite the fact that I have seen it countless times, I still can't decipher. It looks like it starts with the letter C, and my best guess is that it says 'canelz', but I realize that's not actually a word. Copista would seem likely, but here is definitely no letter 'P' in there. Either way, I'm assuming his signature means that he was the town clerk, though the handwriting on the rest of the document doesn't always match up to his.
Additionally, I found a birth notice for one of his children in which he did not give his occupation as proprietario. Again, I'm afraid I couldn't really read it, but it looked like it said 'doncettre, or 'doncettreia communale.' So I was hoping someone more experienced, or better at Italian than I could help me out with this. It would be very much appreciated, thank you very much in advance.
Handwriting difficulty
Re: My ancestor on the registry dello stato civile
Alright, I scanned a picture of two versions of his signature:
http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... iis9xe.jpg
Any ideas?
http://img412.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... iis9xe.jpg
Any ideas?
Re: Handwriting difficulty
The signature is:
Pasquale De Vincentiis Cancel.
which means Cancelliere (registrar).
He was the one who write down and sign the comunal acts, along with the comunal officier.
You can read cancelliere without abbreviation 3 lines above. Here is the transcription of the end of the first act:
"Il presente atto, che abbiamo formato all'uopo è stato trascritto sopra i due registri, letto al dichiarante; ed indi nel giorno, mese ed anno come sopra firmato da noi, e dal Cancelliere, avendo gli altri detto di non sapere scrivere"
It means that, since the people listed in the act were not able to write, the document has been signed by the Cancelliere.
Best Regards
Tommaso
Pasquale De Vincentiis Cancel.
which means Cancelliere (registrar).
He was the one who write down and sign the comunal acts, along with the comunal officier.
You can read cancelliere without abbreviation 3 lines above. Here is the transcription of the end of the first act:
"Il presente atto, che abbiamo formato all'uopo è stato trascritto sopra i due registri, letto al dichiarante; ed indi nel giorno, mese ed anno come sopra firmato da noi, e dal Cancelliere, avendo gli altri detto di non sapere scrivere"
It means that, since the people listed in the act were not able to write, the document has been signed by the Cancelliere.
Best Regards
Tommaso
Re: Handwriting difficulty
I see! Thank you very much for your help, I never would have figured that out on my own. Best of luck on all your research.

