Origin of Surname 'Montesion'

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
shroud97

Origin of Surname 'Montesion'

Post by shroud97 »

My family is from Lacedonia, in Avellino, and one of the names somewhat common in that town is Montesion. They have married into my family a few times. I'm curious about the origin of this name, mostly for the reason that it doesn't end with a vowel, and never does in the records. I am familiar with plenty of names that end in the letter s, as well as the fact that many names in the Veneto are cut off before the vowel, but this particular surname seems to have existed only in this one particular comune. I am assuming a connection to what in English would be 'Mount Zion,' but the name Montesion sounds more Spanish or French to me than Italian. I would be very grateful for anyone's thoughts on the matter.
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Origin of Surname 'Montesion'

Post by ricbru »

Hello,
since there is nothing on internet, I would suggest you to contact the local library, to see if there is any book about last names of Lacedonia

Biblioteca comunale
c/o Comune
Corso Amendola 10
83046 Lacedonia (AV)
Italy

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

shroud97 wrote:My family is from Lacedonia, in Avellino, and one of the names somewhat common in that town is Montesion. They have married into my family a few times. I'm curious about the origin of this name, mostly for the reason that it doesn't end with a vowel, and never does in the records. I am familiar with plenty of names that end in the letter s, as well as the fact that many names in the Veneto are cut off before the vowel, but this particular surname seems to have existed only in this one particular comune. I am assuming a connection to what in English would be 'Mount Zion,' but the name Montesion sounds more Spanish or French to me than Italian. I would be very grateful for anyone's thoughts on the matter.
Hi no most info about this surname,
however the first time that we find this surname in Italy is toward the 1850, and no before, and only 1 person, so it is possible that this surname was a surname of officer's fantasy for a foundling child,

obviously this my opinion is a illation, but I say this second my experience.. in fact from LDS site:

FRANCESCO MONTESION Male Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: MARIA CAMUSSA Family
Marriage: 07 NOV 1852 Cerignola, Foggia, Italy

[hr]

the meaning is MONTE+SION= MOUNT+SION (Jerusalem mount), and is no a original italian surname, but, as usually for many foundlings, the officer assigned to the child a last name similar to an existing last name in the area, or that it knew; in effect in Campania region, it was and are SION peoples, that is a surname of jew roots.. so I believe that if you make the your genealogic tree, you can descover the truth...
hoping helpful
Best regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mon

Post by mon »

I am a Montesion and can attest that the name started much earlier than the 1850's in Lacedonia. I have traced the name back to Montesion births in 1809 when the town records start. That Montesion father was born in Lacedonia around 1780. Other researchers have found Montesion's in the 1753 Census and in early 1700's Church records. My research doesn't shed any light on the origin, just that the name goes back at least 300 hundred years in Lacedonia. I am from the Montclair wing of the family that also used the name Montesione and Mondsini in NJ to sound more Italian. Interested in making contact with other family members including the New Rochelle, NY (Westchester) and Fitchburg, MA branches of the family.
sacasey

Post by sacasey »

I grew up near Montclair. My grandmother's maiden name was Montesion. Her father Raffaele, died in Lacedonia at age 39. My grandmother Teresa married Vincenzo Panico in Lacedonia in 1896 and they both emigrated to New Jersey in the early 1900s. I visited Lacedonia a few years ago and found reference to Teresa's brother, Pasquale Montesion. I wonder if we share ancestors.
mon

Post by mon »

Hi Sarcasey,

I'm very sure we are related. My grandfather was Antonio Montesion and he had a multi family home on Forest street in Montclair. I have researched our Lacedonia Ancestors for years. Pretty sure I have a copy of Teresa's birth record on my computer from the Lacedonia microfilm records. I sent you a personal message through this site with my email address. Contact me directly so we can compare info.

Jim