Why was my GGM on 4 passenger lists in 7 months?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Why was my GGM on 4 passenger lists in 7 months?

Post by qualdom »

My GGM was on 4 different passenger arrival lists between July 1902 and January 1903. My first question is would that have even been possible? My second question is any thoughts as to why she would have made so many trips in a brief period? I am nearly certain they were all her because her daughters names and ages match up and she listed my GGF as a contact on each list.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Why was my GGM on 4 passenger lists in 7 months?

Post by Tessa78 »

Can you post the links to the manifests please?

T.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If the names were crossed through it means she was booked to travel but did not board.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by qualdom »

Ah, yes, some of them were crossed out. Thank you, I wasn't aware of that.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

This link provides information about the markings on manifests.

https://www.jewishgen.org/infofiles/manifests/

T.
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by qualdom »

Thanks T.!
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

qualdom wrote: 18 Jan 2021, 03:23 My GGM was on 4 different passenger arrival lists between July 1902 and January 1903. My first question is would that have even been possible? My second question is any thoughts as to why she would have made so many trips in a brief period? I am nearly certain they were all her because her daughters names and ages match up and she listed my GGF as a contact on each list.
My Great-Grandfather was on several as well, within a few years. I know he went back to Italy a few times.
EPenguin

Post by EPenguin »

Yep, your relative kept missing the boat for whatever reason. For my GGMa, I found 3 manifests. Two were crossed out over about a year, and she was single with her maiden name. I also found my GGPa's application for a US passport. He went back to Italy (he immigrated 13 years before she did), married her, and then they came together. My lawyer for JS citizenship said that was common. Many parents didn't want their young daughter to leave unmarried. They finally came together as a married couple with the same last name on a manifest.