Hello!
I am researching my 2nd-great grandfather. When he came to the U.S. in 1913, he listed his town of birth as "Barcellona, Sicily." Then, when filling out his WWI draft registration, he listed his town of birth as "Barcellona, in the state of "Proi Messina." (Not sure if the first word says "Proi..." It's hard to read, but looks like "proi..." the 2nd word definitely says "Messina."
Does anyone know if Barcellona, Sicily still exists today?
The closest thing I can find is Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto, which is in Messina, Sicily. This seems to make sense, but I don't know if it's the same place for sure.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much,
Tony
Barcellona, Messina - does it still exist?
-
CaptainCatholic
- Veteran

- Posts: 222
- Joined: 11 May 2020, 05:31
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Barcellona, Messina - does it still exist?
The name is Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto (Provincia di Messina)
-
CaptainCatholic
- Veteran

- Posts: 222
- Joined: 11 May 2020, 05:31
Re: Barcellona, Messina - does it still exist?
Thanks so much for the reply! Ah, ok, thank you! Was the name "Barcellona" changed to "Barcellona Pozza di Gotta" at some point in time? (Or maybe, I'm wondering if my 2nd-great-grandfather was just "lazy" and didn't feel like listing the whole name? Haha).
Thanks so much again for your help!
Re: Barcellona, Messina - does it still exist?
Sometimes the person recording the information only heard/understood the first part, and so just left off the rest of the place name.
You can search for your grandfather's birth act (or we can do it for you if you provide some dates) in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto at the Family Search website. You will have to register (it is free.) The records are original so they are in Italian.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1887904
T.
You can search for your grandfather's birth act (or we can do it for you if you provide some dates) in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto at the Family Search website. You will have to register (it is free.) The records are original so they are in Italian.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1887904
T.
-
CaptainCatholic
- Veteran

- Posts: 222
- Joined: 11 May 2020, 05:31
Re: Barcellona, Messina - does it still exist?
Hi Tessa!
Thank you so much for the link, this is absolutely amazing!! I did manage to find my 2nd great-grandfather here - Pietro Di Pasquale: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1887904
Thank you so much for this! You were right, he was born in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto!
I have one more question for you if you don't mind - I was also able to locate his wife, Grazia Macaluso (my 2nd-great-grandmother), in the Italian state archives as well! I knew that she was born in "Campofelice," but I never knew whether that meant what is today called "Campofelice di Roccella" or "Campofelice di Fitalia."
I found Grazia's birth record here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613
It was found in the "Campofelice" section of the archives (not in the "Fitalia" section). Can I assume then that Grazia was born in what is now known as Campofelice di Roccella... not Campofelice di Fitalia?
Thank you so much again for your help, it was absolutely amazing to find these records!!!
Thank you so much for the link, this is absolutely amazing!! I did manage to find my 2nd great-grandfather here - Pietro Di Pasquale: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1887904
Thank you so much for this! You were right, he was born in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto!
I have one more question for you if you don't mind - I was also able to locate his wife, Grazia Macaluso (my 2nd-great-grandmother), in the Italian state archives as well! I knew that she was born in "Campofelice," but I never knew whether that meant what is today called "Campofelice di Roccella" or "Campofelice di Fitalia."
I found Grazia's birth record here: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1947613
It was found in the "Campofelice" section of the archives (not in the "Fitalia" section). Can I assume then that Grazia was born in what is now known as Campofelice di Roccella... not Campofelice di Fitalia?
Thank you so much again for your help, it was absolutely amazing to find these records!!!