MtDNA haplogroup U3b

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
afecad
Elite
Elite

Re: MtDNA haplogroup U3b

Post by afecad »

MarcuccioV wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 17:41
afecad wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 17:32
MarcuccioV wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 07:35 Researching (or should I say scratching the surface) of U3b indicates that albeit rare (roughly 1%) in Italy, it is most common in the former Etruscan areas of Northern Italy. This makes more sense to me as my maternal grandmother seems to favor fairer, more northern features. Some of the surnames in her tree also seem to have been more common in the north, as well...
Don't expect much on individual ancestry from haplogroups. Confirmed paternal haplogroup is great for surname connections and matching others and is more powerful at placing heritage markers with FTDNA you can see what countries others tested live and surnames associated in their trees, beyond that I have not found much use and less so for maternal haplogroups. Sure FTDNA say's I share the same haplogroup as Queen Victoria 1837-1901, but this applies to 50% of Europe as well.
No argument, but it's a rare haplogroup to start with. Not trying to solve the mysteries of the world, just maybe get a little more insight into the Italian heritage, of which I only have minimal information...
I suggested in another thread, if you even more curious about your paternal haplogroup, get the Big Y-700 test at FTDNA and see if there is a surname group you can join to go even further. Surname projects are all over FTDNA. No guarantees, but even though it was $$ to do, no regrets here and more information keeps popping up as more people take the test.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I suggested in another thread, if you even more curious about your paternal haplogroup, get the Big Y-700 test at FTDNA and see if there is a surname group you can join to go even further. Surname projects are all over FTDNA. No guarantees, but even though it was $$ to do, no regrets here and more information keeps popping up as more people take the test.
I saw that but the big Y-700 will not help in this case as the U3b is only on my MATERNAL side...

I have EXTENSIVE documentation on my Paternal side and very little on my Maternal side.
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

MarcuccioV wrote: 31 Mar 2021, 18:38
I saw that but the big Y-700 will not help in this case as the U3b is only on my MATERNAL side...

I have EXTENSIVE documentation on my Paternal side and very little on my Maternal side.
I see, it appeared you were still trying to find out more ancestry clues on your paternal side from your posts. So I'm not sure what you are after if so? Many of us who have Italian on the Maternal side are only left with traditional genealogy, finding as much documentation that is available on familysearch.org, birth, death and marriage records in Italia and autosomal to match relatives and possible origins. Believe it or not, Italian birth, marriage and death records were much better documented at the same point in time vs in America. I was able to find my 5th GG listed on a Death Certificate in Italy, meanwhile in the US I'm still searching for my paternal 5th GG. Also many use Ancestry.com for family tree's which often automatically link "Potential Ancestors", these are often incorrect as they are based on other users trees that often have no validity.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I see, it appeared you were still trying to find out more ancestry clues on your paternal side from your posts. So I'm not sure what you are after if so? Many of us who have Italian on the Maternal side are only left with traditional genealogy, finding as much documentation that is available on familysearch.org, birth, death and marriage records in Italia and autosomal to match relatives and possible origins. Believe it or not, Italian birth, marriage and death records were much better documented at the same point in time vs in America. I was able to find my 5th GG listed on a Death Certificate in Italy, meanwhile in the US I'm still searching for my paternal 5th GG. Also many use Ancestry.com for family tree's which often automatically link "Potential Ancestors", these are often incorrect as they are based on other users trees that often have no validity.

Yes, but only because of the Italian chromosome findings on his side. I'd be interested in your opinions on my other post based on pics I uploaded.

I have exhausted all the info on my maternal side, but info does trickle in from time-to-time so it doesn't hurt to push that envelope -- perhaps something will shake out of it...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Hello everyone,

I am from Italy and also my MTDNA is U3b, more exactly U3b2f. Did any of you took a whole genome test?
That's what I did to get more details about my haplogroups. If you did not have done so, I strongly recommend the test provided by Yseq http://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=42468
otherwise if you want also info about your health check Dantelabs or Nebula genomics. Once you have got your results please upload it on Yfull https://www.yfull.com/ . This is a global project where expert genetist are building a global family tree.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

Daedalus wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 14:45 Hello everyone,

I am from Italy and also my MTDNA is U3b, more exactly U3b2f. Did any of you took a whole genome test?
That's what I did to get more details about my haplogroups. If you did not have done so, I strongly recommend the test provided by Yseq http://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=42468
otherwise if you want also info about your health check Dantelabs or Nebula genomics. Once you have got your results please upload it on Yfull https://www.yfull.com/ . This is a global project where expert genetist are building a global family tree.
What are the location origins of your maternal direct line (commune or province)..?
Mark