Ancestry DNA match question -- PC/Android

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Ancestry DNA match question -- PC/Android

Post by MarcuccioV »

I just noticed something while perusing my Ancestry.com DNA matches list. On my Android phone, using the AncestryDNA app, right under where the cM match is listed, on ALL my matches it says "father's side". So far none say "mother's side".

Also this feature is NOT found on the PC version. I checked all the various links and it can't be found anywhere.

Is this just a bug in their system..? Has anyone noticed this or shown matches for both parents..?

Since I saw this, it has me very confused. I knew there were few if any matches to my mother's (Italian) side, but this is a new wrinkle I never knew about. Can anyone shed any light on this..?
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
joetucciarone
Elite
Elite

Re: Ancestry DNA match question -- PC/Android

Post by joetucciarone »

I use Ancestry on an iMac, and I've taken their DNA test. Your app must have a feature that's absent from my version, because I don't see "father's side" or "mother's side" anywhere in my list of matches.
TerriBreen50

Post by TerriBreen50 »

I follow my AncestryDNA matches on a MacBook. My father also took the AncestryDNA test so all of my paternal matches are identified as "Father's side". Since my mother never took a test, my maternal matches Do Not identify "Mother's side".
My son and his father also took the AncestryDNA test. My son's matches all distinguish between "Mother's side" and "Father's side".
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

joetucciarone wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 10:56 I use Ancestry on an iMac, and I've taken their DNA test. Your app must have a feature that's absent from my version, because I don't see "father's side" or "mother's side" anywhere in my list of matches.
It's absent for me as well on the PC (Windows 10) version. It's only found on the Android phone app...

I'm not even sure how they could assess which side your match is from. Not even my 23&me report (which I've also done) can do that (although they DO have a chromosome painting report that shows ethnicity received from each parent -- whether or not that is accurate I don't know).

I can understand it being inferred if there is a common ancestor on that side -- but it STILL shows it even if NO common ancestor is found...

Furthermore I have matches that show up to 98% Italian ethnicity that STILL say "father's side" (my dad was not Italian, except for the remote possibility that his grandmother MAY have had some Italian ancestry).

I'm not putting any stock into it, just wondering if anyone else has noticed this..?
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

I'm on Windows 10 with Chrome and it shows under the Filter "Groups", but it notes you have to buy/link a kit to your parents in order to make it functional. Ancestry doesn't allow import of data from other DNA testing companies, so you have to order a new kit with them to test.

23andme, since I tested my Mother but not my Father as he is deceased, it's able to denote the two and tell me which side it's on.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

afecad wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 19:22 I'm on Windows 10 with Chrome and it shows under the Filter "Groups", but it notes you have to buy/link a kit to your parents in order to make it functional.

Same as 23andme, since I tested my Mother but not my Father, it's able to denote the two and tell me which side it's on.
Thanks for the info. I assumed it might have been something like that and the default is just set to "father's side". Since my parents are both deceased that is a dead end (pun unintended)...
Mark

afecad
Elite
Elite

Post by afecad »

MarcuccioV wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 19:28
afecad wrote: 05 Apr 2021, 19:22 I'm on Windows 10 with Chrome and it shows under the Filter "Groups", but it notes you have to buy/link a kit to your parents in order to make it functional.

Same as 23andme, since I tested my Mother but not my Father, it's able to denote the two and tell me which side it's on.
Thanks for the info. I assumed it might have been something like that and the default is just set to "father's side". Since my parents are both deceased that is a dead end (pun unintended)...
Yes, unless you have siblings who are willing to test (the DNA they inherit will be slightly different than yours) or have cousins who are willing. That, as mentioned before, is a slippery slope...
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I have no siblings. And I have only 2 1st cousin matches, both on my father's (non-Italian) side...
Mark