Help to find birth cert / parents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Lotty753

Help to find birth cert / parents

Post by Lotty753 »

Hello

I’m trying to trace any information / family history on a Vincent Rossetti - 12 January 1882 - birth place Genova
Parents - Santo Rossetti & Pierina Pallazzi

So far we have found he left Italy and arrived in the US aged 7 on 5th Dec 1889, he was aboard the ship Hispania that departed from Naples & was alone. ( we have the records of this from the US national archives )

Family story’s are that he then traveled to London from London he boarded the ship Suffolk and arrived in Australia 1897 dates and ship name on his naturalisation paper work, but no actual record of this ship or him entering on it.

We can’t find any birth registration for him or any information on his parents at all & there’s about 8 year between him entering New York & Australia that has no records anywhere of him.

Any help of information would be greatly appreciate
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Help to find birth cert / parents

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

This looks like his his burial site in Australia:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/207 ... nt-rosetti

Vincent Rossetti, born 12 January 1882
Died, 10 December 1950 (68yo)
A Beloved Husband, Father and Pioneer Fisherman

Wife Selina Price/Rossetti 26 June 1886-14 January 1973
Loving wife and mother, sadly missed

He was buried in the Noraville Cemetery, Noraville, Central Coast Council, New South Wales.

Unfortunately it doesn’t give his place of birth. Genova is both a town and a Province in Italia. I didn’t see a birth record for Vincenzo Rossetti in the 1882 Birth Records in the town of Genova.

Angela
Lotty753

Post by Lotty753 »

Thank you ☺️

We have all his death certificate and location. His is my sons 4th grandfather but unfortunately we can’t track down any information on him like birth records / parents ect in Italy. All details of his time before he arrived in Australia seem to be a mystery.

I believe he may have been born in Santa Margherita birth parents - Santo Rossetti & Pierina Pallazzi but again struggling to find anything that even relates to those names
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

It doesn't look like birth records have been filmed for Santa Margherita Ligure, Genova. There are Marriage Records that have been filmed. Unfortunately though they are locked at the moment:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

What info do you have that leads you to believe that he may have been born in Santa Margherita or even Genova?

Have you searched the Australian National Archives for further info?

Angela
Lotty753

Post by Lotty753 »

We have the location Santa Margherita just from what he said to family members from very brief conversations the place of birth Genoa is what he gave on his naturalisation papers in Australia. We can only find said paper work on the Australian National Archives.

I have found an entry on the American nation archives that I believe is him it all lines up with family stories same name / same age ect & that’s states he left the port of Naples at 7yrs old & alone so my next area to search is Naples for place of birth
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Lotty753 wrote: 31 May 2021, 12:04 We have the location Santa Margherita just from what he said to family members from very brief conversations the place of birth Genoa is what he gave on his naturalisation papers in Australia. We can only find said paper work on the Australian National Archives.

I have found an entry on the American nation archives that I believe is him it all lines up with family stories same name / same age ect & that’s states he left the port of Naples at 7yrs old & alone so my next area to search is Naples for place of birth
[/quote

Okay.

I came across the following which I thought you might be interested in. You may or may not have them:

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... 20rossetti

https://wyongoneplacestudy.weebly.com/r ... amily.html

I think it would be worthwhile to start from scratch and look at the passenger records/immigration records etc. If you have them can you upload them for us to look at or post links to them. I'm going off line shortly but there are others here that can help.

(If you are in Australia, are you able to get a copy of his marriage record, which might possibily have his place of birth on it. With the Naturalisation Records that you see on line, are they complete records, or do you have to order copies of the documents? It might be worth investigating further there as well.)

Angela
Lotty753

Post by Lotty753 »

Thank you.

We have the full paper work for naturalisation records again it just states birth place Genoa- fathers name Santo Rossetti . Marriage Cert & Death Cert has the same information - it’s become near impossible to trace any links to family / Italy itself

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... id=fs_copy

That’s the immigration record I found but again not much to go

Thank you again
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

@Lofty753

Thank you for posting the link to the indexed immigration record. It's a pity we can't view the actual document. I find it hard to believe that a seven year old would be travelling all the way from Naples to the US? Surely he must have been accompanied by someone. It seems really strange that he went all the way to the US, then all the way to London, and then such a long way to Australia. I wonder if he might have become a "Ships Boy" and maybe that's why he's not on any passenger lists? He would then possibly be on a Crews List? I took a quick look earlier to see what I could find out about the boat "The Suffolk" and it did exist but it became old and redundant before 1889. Then it looks like it may have been replaced with the same name, but it sailed to New Zealand. Hopefully someone else might chime in who can help. At the moment it seems like trying to find a needle in a haystack looking for a birth record if we don't know the place of birth. (The name Rossetti is found in both Genova and Naples.)

Angela
Lotty753

Post by Lotty753 »

This is the actual document I have and it has no information. It really is like looking for needle in a hay stack. He’s a complete ghost from his time before he arrived in Australia. I believe he did work as a “cabin boy” on the ship but we can’t figure out the same as you how a 7 yr old ended up by himself in a ship to America

Thank you for you help I’m going to keep trying to piece together as much as I can but I’m not holding out much hope 😩
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Lotty753 wrote: 31 May 2021, 11:12 Thank you ☺️

We have all his death certificate and location. His is my sons 4th grandfather but unfortunately we can’t track down any information on him like birth records / parents ect in Italy. All details of his time before he arrived in Australia seem to be a mystery.

I believe he may have been born in Santa Margherita birth parents - Santo Rossetti & Pierina Pallazzi but again struggling to find anything that even relates to those names
In Santa Margherita Ligure, in all month of Jan 1882 no one Rossetti was born.. I checked...
suanj
add: ditto 1879/1880/1881.. no one Rossetti, seeming no a local surname...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

by a short search, the Palazzis and Rossettis in Australia coming from Canton Ticino, Switzerland ( Giubiasco, Cevio, Biasca towns etc)
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the reconstruction of the events seems to me quite incredible. First of all I read the 1889 ship manifest that mentions V ROSSETTI italian, born around 1882. All the surnames listed are all surnames from southern Italy and V Rossetti does not have to mean Vincenzo, it can be Vittorio, Velio, Verino, Vittoriano, Vittore etc .. there they are certain evidence that that ship manifest is of your ancestor. I personally would rule it out. On the other hand, regarding the Rossetti who emigrated to Australia in 1897, they are father and daughter, the man of about 53 years of age, married, and the single daughter of age 22. And I don't think they refer to your ancestor.
I searched in Genova births from 1880 to 1882, all districts and no one matching.
Because I read that the first Rossetti emigrated in australia coming from Biasca(Ticino, Switzerland) and the Palazzi from Giubiasco (Ticino switzerland) and Cevio (ditto) and these immigrants all from 1850s to 1900.. I believe that also your ancestor could be born in this area... or near in italian territory... just a possibility..

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Lotty753

Post by Lotty753 »

It is all very very much a mystery how he got here & who’s is family are, he is pretty much a ghost.

The events of him leaving Genoa at 7 working as a cabin boy going to New York then London the jumping ship Australia are from what he told his children but again there is no paper work at all relating to this except that 1 entry on a ship manifest that could possibly be him as the dates age all line up.

I have been digging some more on family search.org and found his brother called Enrico Rossetti born 1914. When I entered this to births deaths marriages in Australia I’ve found his death cert that lists the same parents - Santo Rossetti / Pierina Palassi ( note different spelling ) We know he had a brother but they got separated somehow. It’s also lists on his death cert - place of birth Genova

But I will look in the areas you have suggested and see if I have any luck there ☺️

Thank you
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Mentioning Genoa matching with the with his boarding as a cabin boy on the ship.... For now we can only be sure that Genoa does not mean Genoa city but some municipality in the province of Genoa and a municipality that must be on the coast and not in the Genoese hinterland.
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, also on the Enrico obituary Genova is mentioned as birthplace.. but I searched o other municiplaity near and no luck..
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/arti ... i%20enrico
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH