Haplogroup non-matches -- both Y-DNA and mtDNA

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: Haplogroup non-matches -- both Y-DNA and mtDNA

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 00:47 Adelaide is recorded as white. What do you think of her looks?
I have no photo of Adelaide. Only her DC which lists her as white.
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

The 1850 census (Frank age 7) shows Isaac and Louisa with EIGHT children. 4 of them (in a row) 1 year apart.

Yet I only have DNA matches to Frank and his offspring.
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

ea3c0785-9615-417a-844b-cda9dd98729c.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 07 Jul 2021, 04:12 ea3c0785-9615-417a-844b-cda9dd98729c.jpg
I recall seeing it before. I'd say so. However I don't really see that much of a resemblance between her & my GGm (which would have been her niece)...

(pic is enhanced & colorized)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

My GM had a very distinctive look in her youth & my dad took after her. to me she does not look Irish at all, yet most of her siblings do. But I have matches to both GGp's...

(again, pic enhanced & colorized)
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I was thinking about skin complexion more than family resemblance, given your interest in olive skin.

GM doesn't look stereotype Irish but there's lots of variation among people with UK ancestry. I suppose she could pass for Black Irish.

Look at Catherine Zeta-Jones, a Welsh actress. If you dolled-up GM they could be related.
330px-Catherine_Zeta-Jones_VF_2012_Shankbone.jpg
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Actually, she's half Welsh and half Irish.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

The Roman Empire had their long fingers everywhere, so your father might have had a Roman ancestor whose looks surfaced in the gene pool in your father's generation - perhaps it had been recessive for generations.

I read that skin complexion is thought to be a continuum, and various mixtures arise. You can see that on the children of parents who are black and white.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 02:01 The Roman Empire had their long fingers everywhere, so your father might have had a Roman ancestor whose looks surfaced in the gene pool in your father's generation - perhaps it had been recessive for generations.

I read that skin complexion is thought to be a continuum, and various mixtures arise. You can see that on the children of parents who are black and white.
A distinct possibility. Sadly I have no pics going back further. The lack of matches to Frank's family (when I have extensive matches to EVERY other paternal line much deeper) still bothers me. Would you give up so easily or try to explain it away if you were trying to solve such a family mystery..?
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I would wax and wane but I would never give up completely.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

If you didn't know her heritage would would you guess for Catherine Z-Jones?

It's surprising (and too bad) that no one else is chiming in on this topic.

I think this DNA section is one of the least responded to, in general. Doesn't make sense given the role of DNA as a complement to the paper trail.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 04:19 If you didn't know her heritage would would you guess for Catherine Z-Jones?

It's surprising (and too bad) that no one else is chiming in on this topic.

I think this DNA section is one of the least responded to, in general. Doesn't make sense given the role of DNA as a complement to the paper trail.
I knew of CZJ. I don't see the resemblance as clearly as you do, but we all have our opinions. I always thought she looked a little Spanish, but I don't know her actual ethnic makeup aside from what's online about her.

There is a significant amount of Welsh on my dad's side in other branches. The Welsh seem to be ethnicnically distinct from the English, despite sharing the same isle. That may be too deep for this subject.

I agree this is a weak forum, and it shouldn't be. Science has finally caught up and it should be more strictly applied. Had it not been for DNA science I would never have found my 'secret for 6 decades' first cousin...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Tom Jones is another example.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I was pointing out similarity in coloring more than in facial resemblance. If they I was told they had similar heritage I wouldn't have been surprised.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 18:09 I was pointing out similarity in coloring more than in facial resemblance. If they I was told they had similar heritage I wouldn't have been surprised.
Since my pics are colorized, it's probably not a good comparison, but IIRC, my GM tanned pretty easily also.

Of course none of the aesthetic anomalies explain the evidence of Italian/Med in the scientific results.

And thus my quest continues...
Mark