Finding my grandad, Italian POW in the UK

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Lau

Finding my grandad, Italian POW in the UK

Post by Lau »

Hi everyone, my name is Laura, I'm Italian and I'm trying to trace back the story of my grandfather, prisoner of war in British hands during WW2.

I've always known he was captured in Akarit, Tunisia, in 1943, and used to be detained in camp 313 near Tripoli, Lybia. But what struck me, was to discover he was detained also in Great Britain, presumably between 1944 and 1945, according to some information I got from the International Red Cross.

This finding was amazing and shocking at the same time. My grandfather was the father I didn't have, he was my confidant, there were no secrets between us. Now that he is no longer with me (he passed away in 2009), I have to face the fact there was a part of his story he didn't want to share. I lived in the UK for 2 years, a piece of my heart stil belongs to it, the English language and culture are part of my everyday life (I teach English at a language school). My aim now is to find out the location where he was detain in the UK, if there are records o recollections of his life there. Here are his details:

Name: Guido
Surname: Paolino
Date of birth: 15.03.1921
Prisoner of war numbers: ME/385401 --- T/391269
Detained in Great Britain after March 1945

Here's a picture of him (the man indicated by the arrow), wearing a British dattle dress uniform. I have good reasons to believe this photo was taken in Taranto, Italy, right after his repatriation.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my story, I'll be very grateful for all sort of information you'll be able to provide me with!

Laura
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Finding my grandad, Italian POW in the UK

Post by mmogno »

Hai già provato a chiedere il Ruolo Matricolare del nonno?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
Lau

Post by Lau »

mmogno wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 15:27 Hai già provato a chiedere il Ruolo Matricolare del nonno?
Sì,chiesto e ottenuto, purtroppo è praticamente vuoto. Contiene solo la data di chiamata alle armi e l'assegnazione a una divisione che non è neanche quella con cui ha combattuto ed è stato catturato :|
Lau

Post by Lau »

mmogno wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 16:36 Hai provato qui?
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hel ... ish-hands/
Già provato... negli archivi digitali, nessuna traccia... per ulteriori ricerche, dovrei recarmi sul posto dalla Sicilia, dove vivo, in UK, oppure commissionare una ricerca a pagamento alla "modica" cifra di circa 116 sterline l'ora, al momento non me lo posso permettere. Penso che investirò un paio di giorni a Roma presso gli archivi dello stato, previa verifica che la documentazione sia accessibile.

La mia speranza è che qualcuno conservi una foto o il suo nome per un "matching". Mi rendo conto che le possibilità sono remotissime, ma sto cercando ovunque, perché non anche qui?

Grazie comunque per esserti interessato al mio caso :wink:
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Io ho ottenuto un documento analogo dalla Croce Rossa per mio nonno, e questo riporta dei "Pow Camp number", dai quali sono potuto risalire alla locazione effettiva dei campi di detenzione.
Nel tuo documento non sono indicati?
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Lau

Post by Lau »

PippoM wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 15:37 Io ho ottenuto un documento analogo dalla Croce Rossa per mio nonno, e questo riporta dei "Pow Camp number", dai quali sono potuto risalire alla locazione effettiva dei campi di detenzione.
Nel tuo documento non sono indicati?
Sì Giuseppe, per quanto riguarda la Libia sì, era il campo 313 a Tripoli, prisoner number ME/385401, dove ME sta per Middle East. Per quanto riguarda la dicitura "detained in Great Britain" non è indicato il numero del campo, è proprio quello che sto cercando in tutti i modi di scoprire. Il prisoner number per l'UK è T/391269. Mi chiedo se dalla lettera T si possa dedurre quantomeno una zona o una regione... Grazie!
Lau

Post by Lau »

Chiesta iscrizione al gruppo, grazie!
Lau

Post by Lau »

Visto! Un po' di tempo fa scrissi all'Archivio di Stato, mi risposero che l'archivio Prisoners of War con tutte le scehde sarebbe stato reso consultabile entro fine aprile 2021... cosa che evidentemente non è avvenuta. Aspettiamo fiduciosi...
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Lau

Post by Lau »

Vi aggiorno. Mi sono iscritta ai gruppi facebook che mi avete suggerito. Lo schedario POW e lo schedario Prigionieri di Guerra del Regio Esercito sono adesso consultabili, ho fatto la domanda di ricerca a distanza. Speriamo bene! Grazie a tutti!
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

Facci sapere come va a finire
Lau

Post by Lau »

New details in my possession: I managed to get my grandpa's capture card and it says "trasferred from Middle East (to?) CMA". The place of internment is not reported, there is only what seems to be a date, 20 april 1945, or maybe the number 208? It's not clear. Released 1-7-1945, so relatively early compared to the fact that the repatriation of the Italian POWs didn't start until december 1945.

However, I can now tell my grandfather was actually in the UK between the beginning of April and July 1945.

What CMA could stand for?

Thank you for your help.