U3b mtDNA subclade

Genetic genealogy is the application of genetics to traditional genealogy. Genetic genealogy involves the use of genealogical DNA testing to determine the level and type of the genetic relationship between individuals.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: U3b mtDNA subclade

Post by MarcuccioV »

afecad wrote: 15 Apr 2021, 18:29 Did you email the administrators or co-admin?

You can email them directly, click on the names.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/ro ... background
I'll wait for acceptance from the Uma's project before pursuing it further. "Maybe" that will be a feather in my cap...
Mark

If you ignore your foundation, your house will eventually collapse...

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Re: U3b2 mtDNA subclade

Post by MarcuccioV »

My mtDNA full sequence results (FTDNA) indicate I am a U3b2. A rare subclade most commonly found in Sicily, apparently brought there from Turkey and the Levant through Greece. There is also a founder population in Hungary, and it can be found in trace amounts in northern Europe as well.

In FTDNA's database I only had 4 U3b2 matches. 3 Sicilian, 1 German.

Well, my autosomal DNA ethnicity list (that which I can attribute to my maternal side) includes Sicilian, Turkish, Lebanese (Levant) & Greek, so the pieces fit. Sicilian is the most recent of those ancestries.

Has anyone here with Sicilian ancestry tested for mtDNA..? If so, what was your clade & subclade..? I'd be interested in making comparisons...
Mark

Surnames: Attiani Belli Bucci Calvano Cerci DelBrusco Falera Latini Marsili Mattia Mezzo Nardecchia Pellegrini Piacentini Pizzuti Pontecorvo Recchia Topani Ziantona & Zorli
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Do you have time periods associated with when it was where?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 00:19 Do you have time periods associated with when it was where?
One article I read assumes it was spread from west Asia back to Sicily through Greece during the Roman colonization. How accurate that may be is unknown...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

MarcuccioV wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 16:35
Has ANYONE tested mtDNA and come up U3b..? It seems to have roots anywhere from the Caucasus/Anatolia to Romania/Bulgaria and beyond, with a disconnected but acute grouping in Jordan. I've read that it may be Thracian, yet it has been found in the DNA of an ancient Viking in Denmark.
Please explain what you mean by roots.

Is it accurate to say that U3b is a mutation on a maternal line, ultimately traced back to Africa, which first showed up in Caucasus-Bulgaria around 22,000 BC?

So, when you say U3b has roots in Caucasus-Bulgaria, you're really saying that the U3b child of the parent haplogroup arose there, or simply, that the mutation happened there, so you know your maternal line was there at some point after 22,000 BC?

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Acknowledging that, in previous generations, many centuries ago, direct maternal ancestors of U3b came ti that region from Africa perhaps through the Middle East?
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Mutations give clues to locations by timeline?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 18:52
MarcuccioV wrote: 13 Apr 2021, 16:35
Has ANYONE tested mtDNA and come up U3b..? It seems to have roots anywhere from the Caucasus/Anatolia to Romania/Bulgaria and beyond, with a disconnected but acute grouping in Jordan. I've read that it may be Thracian, yet it has been found in the DNA of an ancient Viking in Denmark.
Please explain what you mean by roots.

Is it accurate to say that U3b is a mutation on a maternal line, ultimately traced back to Africa, which first showed up in Caucasus-Bulgaria around 22,000 BC?

So, when you say U3b has roots in Caucasus-Bulgaria, you're really saying that the U3b child of the parent haplogroup arose there, or simply, that the mutation happened there, so you know your maternal line was there at some point after 22,000 BC?

Yes, by "roots" I'm referring to the origination of that mutation only. Trying only to trace it's route to Sicily. From there I'd like to find out how it got to Lazio, which is a separate discovery...
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

Have you tried SNP tracker?
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 18:55 Acknowledging that, in previous generations, many centuries ago, direct maternal ancestors of U3b came ti that region from Africa perhaps through the Middle East?
Since it's also a Northern Asia haplogroup (Romani peoples of northern India), it most likely came from Africa through India & into the Middle East.

There may be mutation differences between the Romani branch & the ME branch. They may also have merged at some point. Eventually they got to Sicily, where it's most commonly found in Europe...
Mark

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 18:59 Mutations give clues to locations by timeline?
Yes. If you can gather enough information, they should at least narrow it down...
Mark

MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

darkerhorse wrote: 04 Aug 2021, 21:01 Have you tried SNP tracker?
No, not yet.
Mark

darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I think they have the roots in Cyprus.
darkerhorse
Master
Master

Post by darkerhorse »

I would think there's DNA unique to Cyprus which can be identified in modern autosomal tests.
MarcuccioV
Master
Master

Post by MarcuccioV »

I think one matrix indicated Cypriot. It could be reading the mtDNA, I'm not sure. Minor percentage. Of the 4 mtDNA matches I got (to the closest mutation) 3 were Sicilian & one German. One of the Sicilian matches had a history in Agrigento. That's as far as I've gotten to this point.
Mark