Italian Citizenship through Residency for Grandson of Italian Born Citizen

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
johncrosetti

Italian Citizenship through Residency for Grandson of Italian Born Citizen

Post by johncrosetti »

Hello all,

I am looking to apply for Italian citizenship through residency and would appreciate any information that will help me in the process.

First of all, I am currently residing in Italy and have been here for the past five years.

My grandfather was born in Italy and emigrated to the US when he was 14 years old. He renounced his Italian citizenship to obtain American citizenship, and for this reason I have not applied for citizenship through Jure Sanguinis.

I have been teaching English here and meet the minimum income requirement. Likewise, I did an MA here and meet the language requirement.

My main doubt concerns the documentation necessary to prove the lineage between myself and my grandfather. I just called the Comune in the town where he was born and ordered his birth certificate. I also have certified copies of his marriage and death certificates, as well as my father's birth certificate. My father passed away in February, so I'll need to come up with a copy of his death certificate somehow. Is there any other documentation necessary that I need to provide, or anything that I might be overlooking?

Thank you for taking the time to read this and providing any feedback if you're able to!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Italian Citizenship through Residency for Grandson of Italian Born Citizen

Post by mler »

One question:

Were your grandparents married before your gf naturalized?

Otherwise, as you know, you have already met the residency requirement was for naturalization since your gf was Italian. I doubt the death certificate for your father is necessary, but it may be a good idea to check with your comune on their specific document requirements. You may need to get US-issued documents translated and apostilled.
johncrosetti

Post by johncrosetti »

Buongiorno,

Thanks for the swift reply. I'm not sure if he was naturalized before they were married. Do you know how I could find out?

I also discovered that I may be eligible for citizenship since I have a son here and have had residency for five years. Do you know anything about that particular law by chance?

Grazie mille per il feedback!
johncrosetti

Post by johncrosetti »

Actually, it looks as if he was naturalized in the US before the marriage. Not 100% sure, but I saw a document that shows that he may have obtained it about 10 years prior to the marriage. I know it impedes me from getting citizenship through Jure Sanguinis, but would it also block me from getting the citizenship through residency?
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by qualdom »

johncrosetti wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 15:17 Actually, it looks as if he was naturalized in the US before the marriage. Not 100% sure, but I saw a document that shows that he may have obtained it about 10 years prior to the marriage. I know it impedes me from getting citizenship through Jure Sanguinis, but would it also block me from getting the citizenship through residency?
No, you are applying through the same procedure as any other foreigner who has legally resided in Italy. It's just that the fact that your grandfather had been an Italian citizen decreases the required residency period from 10 years to 3 years. The naturalization of your grandfather is not relevant in the citizenship by residency category (other than the fact that it prohibits you from applying via jure sanguinis).
greglam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by greglam »

johncrosetti wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 14:04 My father passed away in February, so I'll need to come up with a copy of his death certificate somehow.
Good morning.

First, condolences on your father's passing.

Second, call or email the funeral home that handled your father's final affairs. If they can't/won't order one for you (for a fee, of course), then they can direct you where to call. Most likely you will just have to go to the website for the Vital Records office of the county where your dad passed. Alternatively, you can go to the website of the Department of Health for whatever state it was. It shouldn't take you probably more than five or ten minutes after contacting the funeral home if you have to do it yourself.

I hope that helps!
-Greg