Qualified for citizenship via grand and/or great grandparents

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
bluewater

Qualified for citizenship via grand and/or great grandparents

Post by bluewater »

I am researching the possibility of obtaining dual Italian citizenship but feel like my head is spinning on whether I qualify. It seems that some sites say I do qualify and others not so hoping someone here can help me if I give the basic details. I am half Italian which comes from my mother's side. Key facts:

- I was born in the U.S. in 1967
- Mother was born in the U.S. in 1930
- Grandmother (her mother), born in Italy ~1902 and immigrated here about 1920. I believe she naturalized in the 1940's ... well after my mother's birth.
- Grandfather (her father) born in the U.S. in 1906. His parents (my great grandparents) were both born in Italy about 1870 and both died before my birth. I believe they wed here in the U.S. I am not able to find any Petitions for Naturalization for either great grandparent. One funeral document I found for my great grandmother (1950's) indicated that she did not have a social security number.

Based on the above, I do not believe I can get my citizenship via my mother or her mother given the dates. I am hoping that I would qualify via my great grandparents but I am confused since their son, my grandfather, was born in the US. If I don't qualify through either set, would I qualify via my grandmother's parents who never left Italy (and I have virtually no info :(

Finally, if I do qualify, will my children as well?

Thanks for any help
cedrone
Master
Master

Re: Qualified for citizenship via grand and/or great grandparents

Post by cedrone »

Someone else will confirm or correct, but it seems to me so:
your grandfather had both Italian and US citizenships, so your mother was also Italian (and US) citizen, and you received Italian citizenship from her (as born after 1947).
Your mother didn't receive citizenship from her Italian mother, as women at that time didn't transmit citizenship.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

You will need to follow the male line before you can even consider a 1948 case through the female line.

Your gf was born in 1906 to Italian parents. You need to prove that your GGF was still an Italian citizen when your gf was born. This means that he never naturalized or that he naturalized after 1912 (pre-1912 naturalizations caused additional problems). So your first step is to gather proof of your GGF’s naturalization status. Once you determine you qualify, you can set up an appointment with the consulate and gather the other records it requires.

Before 1905 naturalization records were not routinely kept. Be sure to check county records as well. Understand that there is a possibility that your ggm naturalized with her husband. This was not uncommon in the US before the 1922 Cable Act. Social Security records do not provide evidence of citizenship or non-citizenship, but census records may give you a clue.

No, you can’t skip a generation to your gggrandparents who remained in Italy. Yes, your children qualify if you do.

Your next step depends on what you find regarding your ggf. Once you have that information, we can help you further.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

mler wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 01:25
No, you can’t skip a generation to your gggrandparents who remained in Italy. Yes, your children qualify if you do.
I'd add that your children will be automatically Italian citizens after you, if they are minors.
If not, they have to go through the same process.
(Please correct me, if I'm wrong)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by qualdom »

PippoM wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:19
I'd add that your children will be automatically Italian citizens after you, if they are minors.
Yes, I think all you have to do is register minor children in the "Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all'Estero".
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

qualdom wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 01:46
Yes, I think all you have to do is register minor children in the "Anagrafe degli Italiani Residenti all'Estero".
Actually you will include the birth certificates of your minor children with your application when you apply, and they will be recognized and registered in AIRE when you are. If you have children after your recognition, you will need to register them by completing the appropriate form and submitting their birth certificates.

Your adult children can apply with your documents if you reside in the same consular jurisdiction. If not, they will need another complete document set to submit at their home consulate.
qualdom
Veteran
Veteran

Post by qualdom »

mler wrote: 20 Sep 2021, 17:20
qualdom wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 01:46

Actually you will include the birth certificates of your minor children with your application when you apply, and they will be recognized and registered in AIRE when you are. If you have children after your recognition, you will need to register them by completing the appropriate form and submitting their birth certificates.

Your adult children can apply with your documents if you reside in the same consular jurisdiction. If not, they will need another complete document set to submit at their home consulate.
Are transcribed Italian civil status documents issued for all recognized citizens? I mean, does the Italian government issue birth/marriage certificates with information transcribed from the foreign birth marriage certificates?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Once you are recognized, you are entered in the AIRE registry at the consulate. The consulate will send your information to your ancestral comune for registration there. Once they do so, you can request a copy of your birth (marriage) registration from the comune, but it’s not essential to have it.