Help needed with marriage registry translation.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Dunio1962!
Elite
Elite

Help needed with marriage registry translation.

Post by Dunio1962! »

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0

Image 23 #19 Domenico Giacomo Donia ?
I believe this marriage registry is of one of my ancestors. Can I please have this translated. Include names of the couple to be wed and their ages, and parents if possible?
Thank you
John Dunio
bbivona
Master
Master

Re: Help needed with marriage registry translation.

Post by bbivona »

July 14, 1817, comune of Oppido offices, appeared Domenico Giacomo Donia, age 19, a minor, laborer, domiciled in Oppido, appearing with his mother Vittoria Scordo, age about 40, laborer, domiciled in this commune, present here to consent because his father Giovanni Donia died July 18, 1806

and

Catarina Pezzimenti, age 20, a minor, resident in Oppido, daughter of the deceased Giovanni Pezzimenti and deceased Rosa Mangano. Giovanni died October 7, 1805 and Rosa Mangano died August 31, 1806. She is here with the consent of family members. No obstacles prohibiting the union, they were then told to present themselves to the church in order to be married.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Just to clarify-
Since the bride was a minor with both parents' deceased, she had to get the consent of a family council in order to marry. If family members were alive, and thus available to serve on this council, then it is true that the convened council would be comprised of family members such as a grandfather, uncles, cousins, etc. However, if there were no family members alive to serve on this council, then close family friends, or even neighbors, could meet to discuss, and vote on, the merits and shortcomings of the prospective spouse. Was that person, for example, of good moral character? Consent for the marriage of the minor was then given by a majority vote of the council after their deliberations.

Normally, this type of record appears with the marriage processetti (or allegati)-the supporting documents- the spouses had to present for their marriage. Unfortunately, this marriage took place in 1817, and the online processetti for this town begin in 1827. So, there is no way to be certain that members of her council were indeed family members.

Erudita
Dunio1962!
Elite
Elite

Post by Dunio1962! »

I thank you both for your help !!