what is the translation for occupation 'tagliamonte' - i don't have the birth act, but the spelling is correct. it is from the town of sarno, salerno. i cannot find it on any of my occupation lists and google translate comes up blank. a cutter of what?
thank you
donna
occupation question
occupation question
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: occupation question
It's literally mountain cutter. I wonder of it's stone cutter?
Re: occupation question
i also thought that myself...most of my translations for stone cutter is tagliapietre yet i wondered if maybe that is a regional term....
thanks for a prompt response.
donna
thanks for a prompt response.
donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
Re: occupation question
Donna
I believe it's a vulgar or unrefined form of the word "scavatore," which is an "excavator." I've read that it is a trade passed down from father to son, and I believe it is found in communities surrounding Naples. It literally means "cut mountain."
Erudita
I believe it's a vulgar or unrefined form of the word "scavatore," which is an "excavator." I've read that it is a trade passed down from father to son, and I believe it is found in communities surrounding Naples. It literally means "cut mountain."
Erudita
Re: occupation question
@erudita74
"Tagliamonte" è un termine regionale del Meridione d'Italia. Presente nel dizionario Napoletano - Italiano.
https://nap.wikisource.org/wiki/Nuovo_v ... napoletano
Tagliamonte = Cavaiolo = Chi lavora nelle cave di pietra e di marmo.
"Tagliamonte" è un termine regionale del Meridione d'Italia. Presente nel dizionario Napoletano - Italiano.
https://nap.wikisource.org/wiki/Nuovo_v ... napoletano
Tagliamonte = Cavaiolo = Chi lavora nelle cave di pietra e di marmo.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: occupation question
erudita & mmogno
i thank each of you for the additional information.
donna
i thank each of you for the additional information.
donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
-
danielusa0106
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 28 Oct 2022, 08:36
Re: occupation question
Coincidentally, I used to live in the town of Sarno as well, wordle this is a beautiful town and many memories for me.
-
SethNeilson
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 22 Oct 2025, 05:42
Re: occupation question
Okay, let's tackle this occupation query! Tagliamonte, that's a tricky one indeed. Sarno, Salerno rings a bell…Italian occupations can be so specific. Hmm, a cutter you say? It’s got me thinking. I remember years ago, I was researching my own family history, and I kept finding references to "cereria." Turns out, it meant chandler or someone who makes and sells candles. It was frustrating until I stumbled across a good Italian genealogical Block Breaker resource online that explained old trades. Hope dmt1955 finds their answer!