American Naturalization

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mler
Master
Master

Re: American Naturalization

Post by mler »

No, DeLisa, I really don't have much experience with citizenship; I've just been trying to do some research for Francesco.

I agree that it's totally wrong that someone whose g-grandfather was a naturalized American is not considered an American too. It's the living in Italy that seems to be the problem. There are so many illegal aliens in this country to whom our government is trying to give a "free pass" and someone like Francesco, who should be entitled to citizenship. is not given consideration.

But Francesco, listen to me and to Nuccia and don't give up hope yet. If there is an American consulate in your area, visit their offices. Explain your situation and provide as much documentation as you can. If you can get proof of your great grandparents' naturalization, I'm sure that will help.

Tell them specifically that your grandfather was the son of an American, and you and your father consider yourselves American too. If they won't give you automatic citizenship based on this, maybe, someone there will be able to find a path to get you a green card, and that's the first step.

I'm a firm believer in the kindness of people. American immigration laws are difficult, but people do immigrate here. Good luck, and if you're ever in NY again, let us know.

Your photos are beautiful; wish I were there. :)
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Those are beautiful pictures Raven.....
Lisa
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

Ok mler & nuccia, i don't give up. In Florence exist a consulate, i can go this week, but i need the documentation. What ? What i (you) find in internet ? And, the wldspirirt work too? But, the problem is, how to find a proof of my great grandpa naturalization ?
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

nuccia wrote:Children maybe WW2 Enlistments?

View Record Alfonso A Vollero 1914 New Jersey 27 Nov 1942 New Jersey New Jersey
View Record Joseph Vollero 1909 New Jersey 25 Aug 1941 New Jersey New Jersey
View Record Louis S Vollero 1912 New Jersey 4 Apr 1942 New Jersey New Jersey
View Record Nicholas F Vollero 1897 New Jersey 27 Jul 1942 New Jersey New Jersey

Nuccia
I dont remember to reply this message. Louis S Vollero is one of my great grandpa sons :)

Many thanks for the pictures... There are my roots too :) When i miss much Locri, i see this pictures and i'm happy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

The pictures are beautiful. I can't wait for my father to come over so I can show him these.

Oh, and although I don't speak Italian I can speak Calabrese pretty good! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nuccia
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Francesco, You may not be able to get this information in a week. You'll have to be patient. I found my grandfather's naturalization papers at NARA (National Archives Records Administration).

I am pasting their New York address here:

Northeast Region, New York City

Serves New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Address
201 Varick Street
12th Floor
New York, NY 10014

Toll-free: 1-866-840-1752 or 212-401-1620
Fax: 212-401-1638
E-mail: newyork.archives@nara.gov

They are very helpful, and as you can see, they have the records for NJ as well as for NY. I visited their offices in person and they gave me, in a half hour, a certified copy of my grandfather's Petition for Naturalization and Oath of Allegience with the date of his naturalization.

It may have been easier for me because I had a copy of his certificate number. Unless someone gets more information for you, the best you can do is tell them that he had filed a petition before 1920--this was on the census records.

There is an e-mail address, but if that doesn't get a response, send a letter.
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

Ahhahahahhaha no problems :) The Calabrese is the official language there hahahaha :)
I'm happy that like my pictures...
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

mler wrote:Francesco, You may not be able to get this information in a week. You'll have to be patient. I found my grandfather's naturalization papers at NARA (National Archives Records Administration).

I am pasting their New York address here:

Northeast Region, New York City

Serves New York, New Jersey, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Address
201 Varick Street
12th Floor
New York, NY 10014

Toll-free: 1-866-840-1752 or 212-401-1620
Fax: 212-401-1638
E-mail: newyork.archives@nara.gov

They are very helpful, and as you can see, they have the records for NJ as well as for NY. I visited their offices in person and they gave me, in a half hour, a certified copy of my grandfather's Petition for Naturalization and Oath of Allegience with the date of his naturalization.

It may have been easier for me because I had a copy of his certificate number. Unless someone gets more information for you, the best you can do is tell them that he had filed a petition before 1920--this was on the census records.

There is an e-mail address, but if that doesn't get a response, send a letter.
I speak to one of my mom cousin in new york, to do this for me, think that is better, ever if he want... Well, when i have all this papers and when the destiny want i go to Consulate...I can wait...

See??? My destiny is in U.S. at both parts of family i have parents in U.S. :)
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

But, my greatgrandpa is in 1920 census...and in 1930 ? Anyone can check if her is on this list? Maybe in 1930 he was naturalized...
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I don't have access to ancestry.com If you're a member, you can check that site.

Remember, though, that the census is not official. All you get from the census is a general guide. The census taker writes what he is told. Nor is the census always complete. I could not find my mom's family in the 1930 census even though they were living in NY at the time.
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

[raven] wrote:But, my greatgrandpa is in 1920 census...and in 1930 ? Anyone can check if her is on this list? Maybe in 1930 he was naturalized...
I"ll try to locate a 1930 census for you..no promises that I will find it but I will try for you! :D

Nuccia :D
[raven]
Rookie
Rookie

Post by [raven] »

mler wrote:I don't have access to ancestry.com If you're a member, you can check that site.

Remember, though, that the census is not official. All you get from the census is a general guide. The census taker writes what he is told. Nor is the census always complete. I could not find my mom's family in the 1930 census even though they were living in NY at the time.
Ahh ok. So i tell about the NY Office to my cousin...i need to wait now :) My last post is just for know if my great grandpa was naturalized at 1930, to have another piece of the puzzle.
Nuccia I appreciate what you do for me :) I will try to do what you know for your grandma :P
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Francesco,

Here is a link that maybe useful to you. This is a list of volunteers at Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness... Dr. Neil Rosenstein is the volunteer for Union County, NJ & does tombstone photos & public record lookups & copying.

http://www.raogk.com/newjersey2.htm

:) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

If it is possible, it would be a good idea to have someone go in person to look at the records. God Bless the kind woman who took the time to look thru the records for me......her name was Marsha, but she did say that the books were hard to read and that many of the names were in the crease.......we all know from personal experience that many times it takes a few hours or more to locate info in old records.

But as I stated in my previous post, she could find no information on Louis other than the notation of his death date in Maria's file for her naturalization.

Also, that office does not have actual copies of the certificates, they must be sent for.

I will be leaving for vacation in a few days....I am posting the number in case anyone here is in need of it to continue with this search.
908-659-3847

Raven, I hope your dreams come true!!!!!!! :wink:
DeLisa
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Just a quick note to someone who has access to ancestry.com They list a Louis VAllero (with an A) on the 1930 census living in Passaic and born approximately 1886. May be the one we're looking for. I can't get in for details because I am not a member.